Wales Rally GB

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm hopefully off to the Wales Rally GB this year with my lad Thomas who is also a keen photographer.
I've seen lots of advice about what to take etc but what I want to know is where are the best places for getting some decent pictures? I want to get photos with mud flying everywhere, big splashes and some good backgrounds with very few people in there.
Any advice gratefully received.

PS - does anyone here go to the Forest of Dean Rally? Doing that for sure this year.

Me and @minnnt took a trip down last year to Gartheniog, which was a pretty decent stage for angles. My advice would be to get there early, and recce the stage well before it is due to go live. We drove through the night in order to get a good couple of hours recce.
If they're using Pikes Peak/Myherin, they're also a good shout for compositions. Sweet Lamb is your best bet for a little airtime and some serious water, but it would be super busy and harder to access I would have thought.
Great Orme is a different kettle of fish, but I really like the angles that can be worked from there. Maybe worth a look.
I'm not able to go this year, so I've not been researching what stages will be used mind you. Some of the Gartheniog angles you can see in my flickr album if thats any use to you https://flic.kr/s/aHskoeUev1
Cheers and enjoy!

was thinking about going to Sweet Lamb but its 4 hours each way from home :(

What Matty said really, if you want 'interesting' pictures be prepared to walk to recce a spot.
One 'photographers secret' though is to go Thursday for the Shakedown. You get to see several passes of the top cars giving you time to experiment a bit.

To be honest rallying is a pig to photograph due to the lack of repetition compared to roundy roundy racing.

For watersplashes and jumps, you can't beat Sweetlamb, not the best for backgrounds though.

Well its off for me this year now - nose full of snot and a throat that feels like fire :(
I has the plague.

Back