Walk around lens quandry

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
We do a lot of cruises and hand luggage weight is at a premium. I currently take a sigma 10-20mm (which is actually in need of repair because the coating on the front element is damaged) and a sigma 24-70 f/2.8. I have however seen a few used Canoin 15-85mm IS lenses on MPB for a reasonable price. Does anyone have any experience with this lens and if so, would it be a good replacement walk round lens for the lenses above? I would prefer something which goes as wide as 10mm, but I can away with 15mm by shooting multiple image panos.

I had a 15-85 a few years ago. It was a very very good lens - almost on a par with the Canon L series lenses. The only slight disadvantage was that it was f5.6 if I remember right at the long end. This tended to necessitate a higher ISO on less bright days. At the time this created a little more noise in shadow areas but the most recent cameras are much better at handling noise. I honestly cannot suggest a better walk around lens reasonably wide and with a fair reach. With other lenses they are either wider with less reach or nowhere near as wide but slightly longer. In my view this is the best compromise available.

Last edited:
Would you look at getting a smaller camera and lighter setup - something like the Fuji range?

On a crop sensor the canon 17-55 f2.8 is a great walkabout lens not too heavy, great image quality, fast ish lens. the 24-70 on a crop sensor is not very wide. You might still need a 10-20 wide angle which you could pop in your coat pocket so save on hand luggage weight.

The 15-85 gets good reviews but its not fast enough for me.

What are you taking photos of mainly?

Last edited:
We also do a lot of cruises and I only take my 24 - 105mm lens which I find adequate in most cases.

Back