Walking Boots Fabric v Leather

Edit My Images
Yes
I've searched through the forum and I have a slightly different take on the usual what boots shall I buy question. I fully understand that I need to try on before making my decision. However can users on here advise the pros and cons please of leather v fabric boots. I'm looking for a second pair of boots that are waterproof and will do for dog walking, general hoofing about etc., low level photography outings etc

I have a pair of leather Brasher boots which I have used for a number of years for more demanding use but they're a bit overkill for taking the dog out and going down the pub in. I'm guessing fabric is the way to go but is there anything I need to know before splashing the cash - budget up to £75

Last edited:
Leather boots are usually more waterproof but they take longer to break in. They're usually heavier than fabric too.

It sounds like fabric would be perfect for what you want. Bear in mind that to get maximum life and waterproofing out of them they do need to be kept clean (that's after you've been out in them and before any treatment you apply, not while you're walking in them.............). I would certainly use fabric boots for general use if I could find a pair to fit me rather than the leather boots I have (because they're the only pair I could find to fit me). I use leather boots for 'proper' walks as I don't trust fabric boots to stay waterproof while paddling all day in a Dartmoor peat bog......... My partner has a pair of the high end Scarpa fabric boots for hill walking mainly in Scotland (he doesn't paddle in peat bogs like I do) and he swears by them.

By fabric I assume you mean ones with a Gore Tex lining to provide the water proofing..

These work fine until you wear a hole in the (thin) lining. Big toe nails / hard heel skin are good at this.
Then they let water in but tend to not let it out again!

I use both but on the understanding that the leather ones are going to last say five times as long as fabric.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

Steve

I have had a pair of these for two years, bought as a stop gap when my Salomon boots sprung a leak. https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/f...ield-waterproof-vibram-boot-p9112.aspx/brown/
Still going strong with a quick spray of proofer every now and then and only paid about fifty five quid with one of their many discount vouchers.
Not a fashionable brand, but excellent value especially with a Vibram sole

I have these and are my first choice boots (even over my Salomon boots). I got my size 11 pair for £33! Bargain.

I had a pair of berghaus explorers that I absolutely loved, very comfortable never leaked and I didn’t exactly look after them. Now have a pair of mammut fabric boots that are really good (twice the price of the berghaus ones) solid boots and comfortable to wear but I have found that I do get blisters depending on which socks I use

I had a pair of berghaus explorers that I absolutely loved, very comfortable never leaked and I didn’t exactly look after them. Now have a pair of mammut fabric boots that are really good (twice the price of the berghaus ones) solid boots and comfortable to wear but I have found that I do get blisters depending on which socks I use
Second the Berghaus. I've had mine for nigh on a decade and whilst not used often, are comfortable enough to wear all day when I do and are used heavily when needed.

I haven't taken care of them but they amazingly still keep my feet warm and dry!

I wear brasher leather boots but are waterproof but I dubbin then weekly and they’ve lasted me 18 months! I’ve worn them out as I wear them everyday! I’ve always had leather as I feel they are better than fabric! I’m probably wrong but it’s my age! I’m nearly 50 and decent footwear was always leather

I have a few pairs, I have Mammut walking/climbing shoes which are 100% NOT waterproof but fit me like a glove, then I have Berghaus expeditor AQ boots which I have yet to try but first impressions are good as they are comfy walking around town whilst breaking in but being suede they will need constant proofing, then theres my old reliable Hi Gear leather boots, 3 years old and still as good as new, never needed proofing and have gone through some gruelling walks and best bit.......less than a 1/4 of the price of the Berghaus and Mammut's

They look like good boots right enough. Scarpa fit me well too so may check these out when my Berghaus are done in.

I've had quite a few boots, wear these every day for dog walking and general walking/photography. They are by far the best boots I've ever had, so comfy, and when I wore out the tread on the soles I bought another pair.
Those and Merrell Moab shoes I swear by.

I've had quite a few boots, wear these every day for dog walking and general walking/photography. They are by far the best boots I've ever had, so comfy, and when I wore out the tread on the soles I bought another pair.
Those and Merrell Moab shoes I swear by.

The wife swears by Merrell, she wont wear anything else.

In fact my Berghaus are being tested on wet grass now, one big toe is getting sore but that's part of the breaking in process.

20171111_095308_zpshyndmgmg.jpg

I'm on my third pair of Berghaus Explorers in 15 years, light to moderate hillwalking and wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

I bought some leather Meindls and although they are very highly rated and were fitted in Cotswolds they shred my heels, tried different socks, pairing socks, footbeds etc. Turns out that particular boot just doesn't work for me.

If Brashers work for you, and you aren't opposed to sticking with leather maybe the (now Berghaus) Supalite leather boot might be worth a look if you can stretch your budget.

Given the uses you want from your footwear, Taxboy have you looked at a good pair of wellies? For your budget I reckon you'd get a more than decent pair.

Or boots from here - https://thedrybootcompany.com/ I have no knowledge of these boots and think there could be a problem with sweaty feet, though their FAQs suggest it is not to bad but, they would say that wouldn't they.

I've used leather and fabric boots (and boots that are a combination of both) and never had a problem with either. Leather is likely to be longer lasting but also has to be looked after and breaking in is not the issue it used to be.

Dave

Given the uses you want from your footwear, Taxboy have you looked at a good pair of wellies? For your budget I reckon you'd get a more than decent pair.

Or boots from here - https://thedrybootcompany.com/ I have no knowledge of these boots and think there could be a problem with sweaty feet, though their FAQs suggest it is not to bad but, they would say that wouldn't they.

I've used leather and fabric boots (and boots that are a combination of both) and never had a problem with either. Leather is likely to be longer lasting but also has to be looked after and breaking in is not the issue it used to be.

Dave
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not certain I'd want to trek down the pub or pop into town in a pair of wellies [emoji1]

I'm on my third pair of Berghaus Explorers in 15 years, light to moderate hillwalking and wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

I bought some leather Meindls and although they are very highly rated and were fitted in Cotswolds they shred my heels, tried different socks, pairing socks, footbeds etc. Turns out that particular boot just doesn't work for me.

If Brashers work for you, and you aren't opposed to sticking with leather maybe the (now Berghaus) Supalite leather boot might be worth a look if you can stretch your budget.
Thanks for the suggestions. It gives me a starting point in the shops. The explorer does seem to fit the bill of the type of thing I was thinking of

Good socks are just as important as good boots. Bridgedale are excellent, not cheap but imho worth every penny. As for boots, get whichever fits best and is most comfortable. When I bought mine I was in the shop for two hours trying all sorts, had my feet measured stood up and sat down ( surprising how much they spread when stood up). One thing they did say to me is when buying boots, they can allways stretch them to make them a little bit wider if theyre tight but if your toes rubbing on the end theres nothing they can do about that, apart from chop the end of your toe off.

Good socks are just as important as good boots. Bridgedale are excellent, not cheap but imho worth every penny. As for boots, get whichever fits best and is most comfortable. When I bought mine I was in the shop for two hours trying all sorts, had my feet measured stood up and sat down ( surprising how much they spread when stood up). One thing they did say to me is when buying boots, they can allways stretch them to make them a little bit wider if theyre tight but if your toes rubbing on the end theres nothing they can do about that, apart from chop the end of your toe off.

Agree totally with all of this and fabric felt more comfortable to me in answer to the thread title.

The blood tends to make a mess though

Just had the Berghaus on for 8 hrs and they now fit like a glove, the sore toe lasted about 1 hr and no other niggles, I can now recommend Berghaus boots if the suede doesn't put you off as they wont stay clean looking for long

Personally I will allways go with goretex pro stuff.
I find it lighter and more flexible and should you get it mega muddy just pop them in sick and give them a good rinse out
leather for me seems over clunky nowadays and more hassle keeping it in good condition.

We had a puppy that did the same. She'd chew them as well...

I have fabric Scarpa Marmolada Pros for hillwalking which I love. Pricey but worth every penny.

My other half has Meindl, leather Bhutan’s. Also very happy but again higher end than I think you’re after.

I previously had Scarpa R Evo Gtx which were amazing waterproof and very comfortable. Have seen them recently for around £100. The look may not appeal to everyone though.

Don't get on with any footwear that has synthetic fabrics, including walking shoes, trainers etc. Won't go into details but I seem to have some form of chemical reaction to synthetic fibres that I don't get from leather.
Spent last week walking in the Sintra region of Portugal and wore my Cheaney Pennine II boots that I've had for around 18 months. After 12 hours of walking I had no foot fatigue, and on taking them off everything was peachy fresh as the linings and sole insert are all leather. Picked them up in a sale as they are a bit pricey at full retail, but these will probably outlive me.

Back