Walking in Paris with Hassy Xpan

Edit My Images
No
In the following of the previous post heres some modest pics taken with xpan and rpx100 film

9050146087_4deea08f79_b.jpg

9052375214_cbb46d1391_b.jpg

9050145569_b77c680888_b.jpg

9052378266_a3d98836cb_b.jpg

9050149439_b5de21715d_b.jpg

9052378120_3f77f24d2f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Jorge, it's helpful if you number the photos so that anyone commenting can do so easier (y)

I like the 1st as a wide angle of the Seine river but most of the 'architectural' type shots have visual defects for my eye, e.g. in the 2nd the foreground 'tubes' are offset ... and is that the leaning tower of Paris :D
Similar with the stairs and the chairs but I like the 'street performer' shots.

Nice images.

~sigh~ I must blow the dust off my XPan sometime.

#2 - the Eiffel Tower is definitely skewed to the right slightly. It's a nice base shot, but I think either removing that distracting black border or adding black borders on the other three sides would also help.

I like #8, although I think the street performer should be the centre of the frame - the framing feels a bit lost if he's slightly to the left of centre.

#10 looks like a shot that would've benefited from a portrait orientation, a grand staircase. I get the sort of shot you are trying to achieve with it.

The chair shots (#11 and #12) feel like a bit of a mish-mash, not really sure what my eye is meant to be drawn to.

Hope that is of some help.

an interesting set, but mainly "close but no cigar" I'm afraid IMO

1) A well thought out shot, spoiled only by slightly innacurate framing - the central arch of the bridge really needs to be exactly on the centre line of the frame - as it is it's a tiny, tiny amount out (made more noticeable because of the central shot numbers, must admit!) Also - the sky needs work - traditionally I'd say burn it in a bit in the darkroom - there's probably enough in the neg to get SOME detail into the sky, as it is, it's just lacking a bit of oomph...

2) sloppy framing or cropping, either way, its on the wonk, and offset in frame - if you can't get it right in camera (and I admit I often can't myself without a tripod and half a hour of faffing) shoot looser and crop it to get it right - it's far more important too get the picture right than gettting hung up on showing a full frame.

3) i'd have preferred it having been shot from between the inverted Y ofthe girders - also the hand, and the ?telescope? are far too obtrusive for me. Sorry but no.

4) again, on the wonk. IMO it's pretty critical to get that sort of stuff right on architectural images. Well - that or the old maxim - 30 degrees out, it's a stylistic statement, 1 degree out, it's just a mistake.

5) nice enough snapshot of the "galloper" but too tightly cropped, cutting the legs off - also the awful cheap plastic bikepedal just screams at me.

6) again, just a smidge off-level, a slighly looser framing and fix it in printing/cropping would sort it though.

7) + 8) - i don't DO people shots, so i'll leave crit on those to others.

9) + 10) Interesting staircase, and worth a couple of experimental frames, but again they're just not quite there - first one's listing like a amphibious truck in Liverpool Dock, the second is just not going anywhere.

11) + 12) again, I'm not "feeling it" with the chairs - plus once again they're on the wonk.

Critics are always welcome :)
The stairs I had a samll problem cause it was full of publicity panels and warnings and so on, and that was the only part avaiable for shooting :)
There was a gardening fair going on and I payed 14 euros just to enter the palace :)
Those are holidays pics that I think it wen't not so bad (wife was always in a hurry) :)

Back