Walking with a long tripod!

Edit My Images
No
Howdy folks

I've got a iFootage TC7 that I love. It's sturdy and light ish. But, folded, it's 670mm (plus a ballhead). It's a bit of a lump to carry around.

How do you carry your tripod when out walking/hiking? I do have a smaller Leofoto which fits inside my backpack.

Cheers!

Generally, mine will be strapped to either the side or front of a backpack, depending on which one I take out/how long ill be walking for.

For a shortish non steep walk in my hand - also means if I am attacked by an off the lead dog I have something to defend myself with. For more serious alpine routes through the straps on the back of the camera bag which will take a 190 and 3 way head.

Extend one leg and use it like a walking pole. Im hopefully going to get a round knob/handle made with a Manfrotto or SwissArca mount so i can have a comfy hand hold.

I have the same tripod With a huge manfrotto 502 fluid head. It’s either attached to the back of my bag, or over my shoulder, can just see it on the bag in this photo.

60687A90-C6CA-4233-94AD-EC8681EAE355.jpeg

Last edited:
I've never found it an issue to just carry it in my hands, never seen the point in using a flimsy lightweight tripod just so it goes in or attaches to a bag.

It kinda defeats the object of a tripod being firm and steady to use.

Reactions: Sky
Walking to photography: Strapped to the bag.
Taking pictures: I usually leave it extended, take the camera off and rest it on one shoulder. If there's lots of people to clout though, I'll retract the legs and carry it upside down by one leg.
Walking back to the car: Strapped to the bag.

Edit - Mine is 900mm with head, legs fully retracted.

Last edited:
I have a Manfrotto 55b which has a lug at the top to attach a strap and fix around the bottom of the legs. It is carried like a rifle in a sling. It is heavy but with the sling the weight isn't so noticeable.

I've added a strap to my biggest tripod but I try to avoid carrying that one far - I only need it for really big stuff like telescopes or my 5x4 monorail.
The more normal models often have a bag (a rifle bag for my benbo clone) or strap to the outside of my camera bag.

For shorter distances I'll often just put the extended tripod on my shoulder & save the time spent packing it up.

If I'm carrying a tripod a fair distance, it gets strapped to the back of my LowePro MiniTrekker. Does make it a little back heavy but not too bad (with a CF tripod). There are loops on the sides of the bag so I could rig up a means of attaching it there instead but haven't bothered.

Put it in a tripod bag or add a strap to it. Then you can throw it over the top of your backpack, across your shoulders, across your chest or anywhere else that takes your fancy.

Some models of the Manfrotto have fittings on them to take a sling very much like a rifle. I have one on my 55B and it is quite easy to carry even though the 55B is a bit of a beast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sky
Gitzo adventury 45L
I have the same bag. About the only one I could find that takes a Canon 5div with a tc and 500mm f4 attached and still manage to get three other lenses, batteries etc inside whilst getting within airline specs to get it on a transatlantic flight as hand luggage (thank heavens for generous weight allowances!).

Also great that the tops expands to take even more gear...if you can carry the weight that is.

Back