Wall mounted tv set up advice

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Guy's i'm looking for a bit of help setting up a wall mounted tv as i'm not quite sure where to put the blue ray player or cable box. I got an electrician today to install a double socket behind where i'm mounting the tv so i wont have any wires visible and i was thinking of a double shelve just below the tv with the cable box and blue ray player but i'm a bit miffed that i will have to run the cable wire along skirting and into the cable box.

I was wondering there was any other way i can connect the cable box to the tv without running this cable into it. I really like the thought of not seeing these wires and although it will only be one it's still pretty annoying.

My brother in law has advised me to buy a 15 meter scart lead and run it from the cable box along to the tv (leaving it behind a couch) but i was hoping to connect it without the large unsightly wire. :help:

What type of wall are you hanging the tv on, stud partition or brick/plaster?

Hide cables in a length of mini trunking. There's a rounded front version you can get that doesn't look too bad. Or build a false wall to hide cables behind. The second option is the way I did it.

You can also get 'fake' skirting board that you can hide cables behind.

Chap on a car forum put his tv on the chimney breast with all the wires, xbox etc hidden inside. Access was via a small door in the side & cooled with a couple of pc fans :)

Guy's the electrician mounted a socket on the lving room wall behind where the tv will be and ran this through the back if the wall from the power supply in the kitchen so behind the tv i will be able to plug in the dvd, cable box and tv into the double socket with an adapter. I only wish i could have the cable box installed in the kitchen or at least a wire run fro there through to the living room as right now i have two options both of which will leave one wire in view.

I can as i said run a scart lead from the cable box all the way round the skirting and up into the tv.

Or

I can have the cable box on a shelve below the tv but again i will see the cable wire going into the cable box but the scart will be hidden by the cable management part of the shelve.

I hope this is making sense. I will post a picture of the finished set up when i get it complete in the next few days.

By the way the wall is brick and is opposite the chimney breast wall which would have made it easier

Last edited:
I would drill a hole in the wall through to the kitchen and locate the cable box in a cupboard unit in the kitchen. I have my Virgin box in a cupboard in the room next to our lounge along with the PS3. The cable box required the infra red remote thingys but the PS3 is ok as the remotes and controllers are bluetooth. I have all cables under the floor so all you see is the tv on the wall.

Back