Wallace Heaton

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Wallace Heaton Blue Book 1968-1969

Film processing (original prices in shillings and pence), £1 in 1968 = £17.74 in 2020 (latest figures)

Black and White
Roll film (all sizes) 3'- £0.15= £2.66
35mm (upto 20 exposures) 4'- £0.2 = £3.55
35mm up to 36 exposures 5'- £0.25 = £4.44

Colour (Ektachrome)
35mm 36 exposures 15'- £0.75 = £13.30
35mm 20 exposures 10'6 £0.53 = £9.40
120/620 12 exposures 10'6 £0.53 = £9.40

Colour (Kodacolor)
Only prices for process and print
Square negatives 1'9 each £0.09 = £1.60
6x9 2'- each £0.1= £1.77
35mm 1'3 each £0.06 = £1.06 - over £36 for a 36 exposure film

This analysis, if you like to call it that, doesn't take into account cost of raw materials, or labour for that matter. Well, considering labour alone, I would imagine that present costs are quite a bit higher nowadays than they were in 1968. Basic black and white processing seems to be very competitive. Colour negative looks a bit expensive.

I had an 'ospital appointment today and, in anticipation of there being delays, I took a copy of the book to peruse. Perversely my appointment was on time so I never got to look at the book. But now I am looking at it I thought it would be interesting to list some prices, the original prices and the inflated values for film processing(https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator). On the whole I would say we have it good especially in respect of colour negative printing.

I would have liked to have sent you the picture of Wallace himself, who adorns the inside cover, but my scanner is not operational at this minute. The company seemed to prefer operatives who used lots of Brylcreeme and looked very stern, Wallace himself looks a bit crusty. There is only a small entry in Wikipedia for Wallace Heaton unfortunately, and it doesn't have his portrait.

Please feel free to correct the arithmetic.

A real blast from the past......though I can't recall film prices I still remember going to the Earls Court branch many times with my brother and that is where amongst other kit, over a few years, an Exa 1a with waistlevel finder (I never could afford the pentaprism).

The manager fought in WW2 as a tank commander and very knowledgeable on the kit in his shop.

I used to have a Blue Book that had been my Dad's in the early 50's, I think it got lost in the course of house moves, shame. Interesting look back.

I forgot to mention the Blue Book, or should that be Books. Sadly all thrown out decades ago ..........unless there is a survivor lurking somewhere???

I have 5 of these Blue Books, the oldest being the 1939 edition with a glued in piece of paper apologising for being unable to supply German cameras. They make very interesting reading.

From the 1965-66 edition, the now largely forgotten Nikkorex F and the original Ricoh Singlex from which it was derived.

Note the difference in price...

Cameras Nikkorex and Singlex page from Wallace Heaton Blue Book DSC01862.JPG

I have 5 of these Blue Books, the oldest being the 1939 edition with a glued in piece of paper apologising for being unable to supply German cameras. They make very interesting reading.
Interesting. What did the glued in page actually say?

Interesting. What did the glued in page actually say?
I miss-remembered it. It actually says "Since the outbreak of war we regret that many of the prices in this handbook have been increased in price byabout (sic) 15-20%. We welcome your enquiries when full information will be given." Then the 20% has been crossed out by hand and 50% written in.

The poor grammar suggests it was a rush job by a typist who had 20,000 copies to type and glue before lunch.

It must be a good 50% of the cameras in the book which originate in Germany which compares with my 1952 edition where there are very few German cameras offered - actually, not that many camera models of any sort.

Last edited:
The particular copy of the Blue Book which I got the prices from comes as a large collection of loose pages. I've put them all in the right order, previously they were the right pages in the wrong order. I found the film processing page so I'll attempt a price transposition although I won't necessarily cover the more obscure film sizes.

Back