Wallrunner

Name
Erik
Edit My Images
Yes
I found this old painting on a wall i former East-Berlin this spring. The painting was in bad condition, which you clearly see on the runners back.

I have tried to crop and rotate the picture in a way, that the crackeled status of the painting (the political system), the end of the runway (falling of the wall in 1989) and "where will he then go" gives place for thoughts by the spectator. At least that was my own thoughts in the situation.

Any comments?

Last edited:
ki_user said:
I love the picture and the composition, but the fact the runner has no head or foot spoils it for me. But I'm guessing they have been cut off for a reason.

Hi. Thanks for the comment.

When I did the cropping, I tried to avoid displaying pieces of feet and hands from the runners competitors (You can see their shadows). Not more complicated than that :)

-Erik-

Last edited:
ki_user said:
Could you not do a bit of cloning on the other runners?

I simply hate cloning and that kind of "manipulating" photos. It's just not me. I'd rather hit the streets again and shoot some new and better frames. :)

Anyway - I may give it a try this time.

I'm not against cloning and that kind of things. I admire those of you, who master it. But it's just not me.

-Erik-

That's an interesting and very appealing shot.
You've chosen a good section of the painting to focus on. It illustrates the dilapidation well and there's something slightly ominous about the section on his back. It almost looks like the skin has been peeled away to show the musculature and spine underneath.

Overall the framing works well with the runner up in the top right hand corner. It's not a conventional composition, but in this instance it feels like absolutely the right one. I have to agree with Lee about the crop though. The foot doesn't really bother me too much, but I really would like to see all of his head in the shot. If you can bring yourself to make an exception to your view on cloning, I think it would make a huge difference in this particular photograph.

SarahLee said:
That's an interesting and very appealing shot.
You've chosen a good section of the painting to focus on. It illustrates the dilapidation well and there's something slightly ominous about the section on his back. It almost looks like the skin has been peeled away to show the musculature and spine underneath.

Overall the framing works well with the runner up in the top right hand corner. It's not a conventional composition, but in this instance it feels like absolutely the right one. I have to agree with Lee about the crop though. The foot doesn't really bother me too much, but I really would like to see all of his head in the shot. If you can bring yourself to make an exception to your view on cloning, I think it would make a huge difference in this particular photograph.

All right. I will make an attempt. Have patience.

-Erik-

i really like this! as has been said, it is unconventional in its composition but i think that is a good thing. your treatment of the subject stops it from just being a picture of a picture on a wall. it gives it a surreal quality which is very cool. nice work...

Here is the original material I shot in Berlin.

Give it a crop and let me see how You would have treated the material. Perhaps You would not have gone BW?

-Erik-

i have skewed the original around so as to crop out the other runners and get the head in...

5318227378_183d402edf_o.jpg

Last edited:
ki_user said:
Tried to keep as close to your composition as possible

It's clear to me, that it makes a significant difference in quality, when the runners head is shown uncropped. Thanks for usefull comments and advice.

-Erik-

Hi

I have now tried the cloning technique on the wallrunner and no cropping his head.
Works OK for me too!
Thanks again. Over and out :)

-Erik-

nice, better than twisting it round. its good to keep the foot on the edge...

Back