weekly Walsh's 52 2012 weeks 4 & 5 added!

Blackpool Mill by [Scott], on Flickr

Ok, First ever shot with large format so I thought it apporopiate to choose it for the 52, Bit of a steep learning curve, had a rather big light leak on one side, either the second hand film holder or me not putting it into the camera correctly :bang:

Hi ya

as above....nooo idea what a large format film is...but liking the results (y)

Not sure what a large format is but liking the photo, looks almost antique!

Hi ya

as above....nooo idea what a large format film is...but liking the results (y)

Very funny, I always forget that there's a whole generation that have never used film let alone large format.

Good luck with your challenge, it's such a stunning camera I'm still on the look out for one.

Good luck, 52 shots an a LF camera will be great.
Mart

That camera has got to be an absolute joy to use! Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with - you're off to a good start!

Very nice shot of the Mill
The light leakage adds to the scene....As Dan says, it gives an almost antique feel to it.
How old is the camera Scott?...Presumably 4 x 5 ??

That sounds like a real challenge... a good first shot for the challenge, and I agree, the leak adds to the feel

Nice scenes Scott....Paricularly like the sole individual on the beach in week 2 presumably out with the sole dog.....Gives a good sense of scale to the expanse of the beach.(y)
The lifeboat stations is something I haven't seen in a long time.....not something we have down here.....I always did enjoy watching the RNLI on practice runs on the yorkshire coast.
Nice DOF on week 3 ...Sharp throughout(y)
As for your kit for developing at home...I don't know what you had in mind, perhaps something specific for 4x5, however if it offers any help; I personally use the patterson tanks designed for roll film and "fold" the sheet film into tacos.
Works ok for me and means I don't have to buy/store specific kit for the sheet film.
Well done with weeks 2 & 3:clap: ......best of luck for week 4

Nice scenes Scott....Paricularly like the sole individual on the beach in week 2 presumably out with the sole dog.....Gives a good sense of scale to the expanse of the beach.(y)
The lifeboat stations is something I haven't seen in a long time.....not something we have down here.....I always did enjoy watching the RNLI on practice runs on the yorkshire coast.
Nice DOF on week 3 ...Sharp throughout(y)
As for your kit for developing at home...I don't know what you had in mind, perhaps something specific for 4x5, however if it offers any help; I personally use the patterson tanks designed for roll film and "fold" the sheet film into tacos.
Works ok for me and means I don't have to buy/store specific kit for the sheet film.
Well done with weeks 2 & 3:clap: ......best of luck for week 4

Thanks! as for the lifeboat stations the smaller one on the right has recently been converted into private residence, the owner pulls his boat up onto the slip! I did look into the taco method, ill have to give it a try, still having problems with dust but seem to have gotten rid of the big light leak.

Thanks! as for the lifeboat stations the smaller one on the right has recently been converted into private residence, the owner pulls his boat up onto the slip! I did look into the taco method, ill have to give it a try, still having problems with dust but seem to have gotten rid of the big light leak.

Don't forget to make the taco so the emulsion side of the film is on the "inside" of the fold!
The dust doesn't appear bad at all to me... a few specs here and there but hardly a big issue.
Don't we all just love light leaks and other technical probs.....makes these cameras unique to themselves....In a way it gives them their own character!

Don't forget to make the taco so the emulsion side of the film is on the "inside" of the fold!

When I post my week next, you'll see why:LOL: It is easy, and it isn't really anything you should be able to get wrong, but I did!

Great shots so far, Scott. It's going to be a good year.

I love week 3 Scott! Fantastic pic. Only slight criticism is that you've a downhill sea - definitely tilt there :)

I love week 3 Scott! Fantastic pic. Only slight criticism is that you've a downhill sea - definitely tilt there :)

Perfect for water-skiing though.

Week 4 .....Quite satisfying once you pin down the exact location of light leaks isn't it?
I wouldn't let that deter you from using the holder though Scott, your week 4 shot looks just fine as it is....the scene is still visble through the leak and it's pretty much an inherant part of this type of antique/vintage gear anyway.

Week 5.
Superb!
Looks bitterly cold......not easy to work with film holders etc with numb fingers!!
You got the exposure spot on too.
I used to hill walk in the Lake District and learnt that many climbers used to carry an immense amount of photography gear with them to capture shots of their colleaugues climbing the crags around Coniston and Great gable.
Seems you got a bit odf an idea of what it was like for them although I have read that they would carry a half plate camera, tripod and typically half a dozen double dark slides as well as their climbing equipment.:puke:

Back