weekly Walter's TP 52's 2018 Weekly Beautiful

Thank you Bernd for feedback, I was a bit lucky or unlucky at the store, there were only three thick loaves left!!

Walter.

Abundance - I like your take on this, lovely colours, the only thing i find a little off putting is the orange lip on the bowl, and my eyes are drawn to the marks on the bottom of the picture frame. I cant fault your choice in sweets though, not had millions for a long time.

Thank you Mandy, another lesson learned, (try to make sure subject is unblemished), I was going to use that old cheap plastic frame for another project I had in mind. The smallest bowl I had stuffed with paper hand towel to fill up.

Walter

Chris thank you for your thoughts. trying to have fun with my subjects in the TP 52's, the wife thinks I glued and used screws to get that picture effect, she's still checking the walls. lol

Walter

Thick ... works well, good strong colour, maybe a little of the OOF wrapping LHS could be cropped? o_O

Abundance ... interesting & different (y)

Abundance is a very clever and interesting shot. I like it. People is great like the monochrome and the way it portrays the atmosphere.

Abundance, nice colours and good take on the theme. I have never seen "Millions" before but they look a bit like sherbet pips.

People, Nice shot, plenty going on, but I found it a little bit too dark.

Very nice people shot - very punchy in black and white.

I like the abundance one too - very very different - is it a local gallery somewhere, as it looks like it should be in the Tate Modern?

Abundance is a very clever and interesting shot. I like it. People is great like the monochrome and the way it portrays the atmosphere.

Thank you Roger for your thoughts much appreciated. People had me tapping my feet, the whole place was a great atmosphere.

Walter

Abundance, nice colours and good take on the theme. I have never seen "Millions" before but they look a bit like sherbet pips.

Thank you Pete for taking time to comment. I have never seen sherbet pips before!!, planned to give them to my young grandchildren (Avatar) but tasted some myself and then more, so they never got. (lol)

People, Nice shot, plenty going on, but I found it a little bit too dark.

Did work on this photo, but when lighten up a bit stronger, i felt I was losing a bit of the white writing, so settled for this.

Walter

Very nice people shot - very punchy in black and white.[/Q

Ian thank you very much.

I like the abundance one too - very very different - is it a local gallery somewhere, as it looks like it should be in the Tate Modern?

Yes a bit different, was a bit hesitant in posting as I didn't know what to expect from forum members, I done this myself, even had to buy them Million sweets £1 lol. to tell the truth had to check out the Tate Modern, but that's a great compliment.

Walter

Hello Ross, thank you for your thoughts on the photo, hope I don't sound silly but how would I achieve this "I bit more DoF, just to at least include the whole bowl." would i have to tilt my camera down a bit and more to the left ?
Eagar to learn and willing to try this if you have time to explain, no rush just if you have time.

Walter

Hi Dave, thanks for the feedback as always, much appreciated, and hope your keeping fine, the wife also has that illness you have and she was laid up there for weeks must have been the cold weather makes it worse.

Walter

Thank you Dominic glad you ended up liking the photo means a lot to me. I did tone it down a bit for forum members compared to the Flicker one I posted, just need confidence.
Walter

Last edited:
People - a nice image for the theme and fits nicely, I would be tempted to lift the shadows just a little bit just to give it a lighter feel.

Thank you Mandy for your thoughts on People much appreciated as always.

Walter

Hi Walter,

Thick - Nicely on theme, the yellows are certainly vibrant.

Abundance - It certainly works for the theme, and you've captured some nice colours there.
Not sure on the layout though, flipping it through 90' would improve it for me. I'm not sure what effect you are gong for with the angle you've used.

People - I think this is my favourite of the 3 I'm commenting on. Plenty of interest and I feel a good choice to crush the blacks like that.

Can I ask if you've read through the howto guides for the 52, specifically the linking back from the main thread to your personal one. Without the links, it can be hard to find the thread to add comments, you really need to add the links to help people find you. (or if you have added them, to make them more obvious) :)

Hello Ross, thank you for your thoughts on the photo, hope I don't sound silly but how would I achieve this "I bit more DoF, just to at least include the whole bowl." would i have to tilt my camera down a bit and more to the left ?
Eagar to learn and willing to try this if you have time to explain, no rush just if you have time.

Walter
Nothing is a silly question. Ive only been pbotographing for about 18 months really so im still asking questions. Thats what these forums are for in my eyes. For DoF (depth of field) use a higher aperture number. This will give you a larger area in focus. For example f1.8 is a shallow DoF which would give you a small area in focus and very blurry backgrounds. F9 would give you a larger are in focus but the background would be less blurry. There are a few other things that change DoF like distance from you to your subject and from the subject to the background. Have a look up a out it. I still take quite a bit of time working all this out when im shooting.

Thick - Nicely on theme, the yellows are certainly vibrant.
Hello Tim, thank you for nice comment.

Not sure on the layout though, flipping it through 90' would improve it for me. I'm not sure what effect you are gong for with the angle you've used.

Will be setting something similar up, hopefully Saturday so will try out. "effect" that's what I was a bit wary off before posting, thinking it was only me who can see the effect as clear as day, but I said, sod it, post and see what the forum members make of it. I don't know what others can make of it, but I have some vision problems and I believe it affects the way I see things at angles or depth. don't know whether its a good thing or bad thing in photography lol.

People - I think this is my favourite of the 3 I'm commenting on. Plenty of interest and I feel a good choice to crush the blacks like that.
Thank you Tim much appreciated.

Can I ask if you've read through the howto guides for the 52, specifically the linking back from the main thread to your personal one

The first one or two photos I had problems linking, but thought I have got it sorted now, yes Tim just noticed on the TP 52's main thread that my link is not as obvious as others,i will fixed that. The People photo was a catch up and I didn't link to main page, to tell the truth I didn't want members to go out of there way to comment on my catch ups its hard enough trying to comment on all the rest of 52's so for some strange reason I thought I could sneak it in to my page without troubling the members. told you I was strange lol .

Walter.

Last edited:
The first one or two photos I had problems linking, but thought I have got it sorted now, yes Tim just noticed on the TP 52's main thread that my link is not as obvious as others,i will fixed that. The People photo was a catch up and I didn't link to main page, to tell the truth I didn't want members to go out of there way to comment on my catch ups its hard enough trying to comment on all the rest of 52's so for some strange reason I thought I could sneak it in to my page without troubling the members. told you I was strange lol .
Ah yes, found the link on Abundance now... It looked exactly like the link that flickr adds, which is why I missed it, but my mistake. :oops: :$
Mind you, it links to the top of the page, not the actual post, but close enough.

Nothing is a silly question.

Ross I get it now, you explained it very well to me indeed, I looked over the shots I was taken for Abundance, probably about 25 or more, each one was Aperture f/5.6 and I think the one I posted was in manual mode. I was to busy trying to stop the glare I was getting from the plastic wrapper that I forgot all about DoF which I like very much experimenting with, yes I really think a bit more DoF would work. maybe a bit like my first theme post Sharp but not as much blur.

Very grateful

Walter

Ah yes, found the link on Abundance now

No problem Tim thanks for looking out for me, keep up the good work been looking on your flickr page love your photos wonderful colours you bring out so well, mind you I have only got up to the sports cars lol

Kind regards Walter

Reactions: LC2
Hi Dave, thanks for the feedback as always, much appreciated, and hope your keeping fine, the wife also has that illness you have and she was laid up there for weeks must have been the cold weather makes it worse.

Walter

Got to say this was the worse winter for me, breathing in the freezing cold air really hit me hard, once I finish my last lot of antibiotics I should be fine, I hope. Hope your wife is ok now too.

Heavy. A beautiful work of art. Struggle this week, went out last Saturday and spent a few hrs trying to capture a heavy subject but it didn't work out, actually it nearly knocked the heart out of me for a while, but bounced back again and got myself a 70-300mm lens Tues. Not a 100% happy with this capture so must be learning. 10min to deadline, phew!!!

Sparks Will Fly TP.jpg Heavy..2000 Nuts, bound to be heavy.

Walter, interesting take on the theme and artwork, surprises what some people think up.
Pete

Back