Walton-On-The-Naze Sunrise

Name
Nick / Sectionate
Edit My Images
No
This is the first time I have been up around sunrise, with my camera (I do it everyday for work, but without the camera) as I had to drive my brother to the airport for the early hours.

After dropping him off, I pointed the car in the direction of the Essex Coast praying that the weather held out and the cloud wasn't too thick. Which is was. Nevermind, the country roads towards Clacton are fun, which made up for it part of the way lol...

I took photos from two spots before I ran out of the golden hour/patience...and I am pleased with the results, this has only been the second time I have been out with my filters, which needed cleaning.

The only p&p I have carried out is the white balance and a little curves/contrast. Here are the results:

Walton Pier

5171865750_57d224a0fe_b.jpg

Nikon D40 - Sigma 17-70 @17mm F/9 - 30second - ISO200

5171865936_70130b81d6_b.jpg

Nikon D40 - Sigma 17-70 @17mm F/16 - 14second - ISO200

Both used a Hitech Hard Grad, 3 stop and 2 stop respectively.

:)

(there are two more on my flickr)

Last edited:
That 2nd one is very special.(y)

BTW isn't '0n the' and not 'under' ?

loving the 2nd one............

Lovely pale pastel colours and like how the groyne leads into the picture.

1st pic is nice, but seems a little too cluttered in the FG.

2nd pic is superb. Love the pastel shades and composition, ace. :cool:(y)

Cheers, I really like the 2nd one, even if I do think it is a bit of a cliché Landscape shot! It was difficult to try and get an angle that just showed the pier for the first one...

I have another version of the Groyne:

5172307493_a6997c09a8_b.jpg

superb !!! love it theirs nothing to look at! but so much to see ! (y)(y)love it
best one i have seen for a long time it so simple

The 1st pic would make a great post card image. Spent many summers on that pier. But the 2nd is my fav ( can not decide between the 2 versions)
ken

Another vote for #2 here... I like the sky on the RHS where it meets the water. There's some nice detail there. However, there's also some pretty bad chromatic aberation on the far left groyne which would only get exagerated if the image was printed large. Should be easy enough to correct though :)

Another vote for #2 here... I like the sky on the RHS where it meets the water. There's some nice detail there. However, there's also some pretty bad chromatic aberation on the far left groyne which would only get exagerated if the image was printed large. Should be easy enough to correct though :)

I like sliders in Lightroom that sort out problems like that easily, thanks for pointing that out to me :)

I have just had a friend ask me to do them a print of the second one :D

A someone who lives in Colchester and knows Walton well, I can't believe how exotic you made it look, especially in no.2.

nice photos. I also prefer the second one.

Walton is one of the places I would like to visit for a sunrise while I am in Essex :D But I couldn't be bothered to wake up for 1hr drive yet :LOL:

Believe me, I don't normally do sunrises. Although the A133 is an awesome road at 4am...

A someone who lives in Colchester and knows Walton well, I can't believe how exotic you made it look, especially in no.2.

:LOL: I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome too, the pier isn't the grandest one I have seen!

Cheers everyone!

Have to echo the other comments - the shot of the groynes is very nice indeed.

Like the minimalist feel to it - very peaceful and calm. Great colours too.

Not sure where these groynes are in Walton, but there are also some good ones down in Frinton as well - up near the golf course. Reminds me, must get back along that way soon.

Cheers Everyone!

Have to echo the other comments - the shot of the groynes is very nice indeed.

Like the minimalist feel to it - very peaceful and calm. Great colours too.

Not sure where these groynes are in Walton, but there are also some good ones down in Frinton as well - up near the golf course. Reminds me, must get back along that way soon.

It was the first set on the left of the Pier, I couldn't be arsed to walk to far :LOL:

Last edited:
Back