WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Why couldn't they port the number?
the Number given was one digit out , but my beef is they cancelled the order before they sent the email , the email just said there was a problem and to contact them, when I queried the order they told me it’s been cancelled you will have to reorder which meant the swap date would move from 31/8 to 7/9 , with BT going on 31/8 now struggling to get BT to uncancel

Roadworks! Right outside the house.

It isn't the roadworks per se as roads need to be maintained, it's just that today I'm not feeling great and they aren't helping.

First world problem for sure. Time to pop on some cello and turn up the volume.

Similar. I'm fine but the builders are digging up next doors' garden and their music is the sort you normally hear trying to bounce the speakers out of cars. They must be young, bless them. Giving them a blast of Nightwish............ :D

the Number given was one digit out , but my beef is they cancelled the order before they sent the email , the email just said there was a problem and to contact them, when I queried the order they told me it’s been cancelled you will have to reorder which meant the swap date would move from 31/8 to 7/9 , with BT going on 31/8 now struggling to get BT to uncancel

Surprised you are involved in the cancellation of BT, normally they handle it between themselves unless Virgin are involved?

Surprised you are involved in the cancellation of BT, normally they handle it between themselves unless Virgin are involved?
I made the mistake of ringing them to cancel BT TV, they asked why
, said I was moving BB to Sky at which point I told them date of sky swap

Remnants of "instant" barbecues and dog poo all over our local, normally pristine, dunes and beach! :rolleyes: :headbang: :(
Unfortunately people can be self important, self serving, thoughtless pigs with absolutely no regard for others or the environment.

I saw (yesterday?) a local news item that showed coast visitors buying buckets and spades and other plastic crap for the kids and then just dumping it at the end of the day. It would be bad enough if it went in the bin but was just getting left where it was.

Remnants of "instant" barbecues and dog poo all over our local, normally pristine, dunes and beach! :rolleyes: :headbang: :(
During Covid our local park, where we walk most mornings, was absolutely disgraceful with rubbish and bottles left everywhere.
The council put up some very large corrugated plastic signs with pictures of the rubbish and saying "Your rubbish Your responsibility, Please take your litter home with you"
The signs have slowly disintegrated and now there are bits of them all over the park :(

• Sad
Reactions: zx9
The signs have slowly disintegrated and now there are bits of them all over the park :(
You couldn't make it up.

We have quite a few local parks around and about, most of them have picnic benches.
BBQ's are now banned on their land as a couple of smarts arses put a disposable BBQ on the table top, and it burnt right through!
Some people don't have the brains they were born with :rolleyes:

WAMT?

Me, not learning my lesson ...
I bought 6 items at a local store, the queue for the tills was quite long, so against my better judgement,
I went for the self service check out.
As predicted it went wrong, not one, not twice, but thrice.
By which time the queue was gone, so I just put the items back into the basket and went to a till..

WAMT?

Me, not learning my lesson ...
I bought 6 items at a local store, the queue for the tills was quite long, so against my better judgement,
I went for the self service check out.
As predicted it went wrong, not one, not twice, but thrice.
By which time the queue was gone, so I just put the items back into the basket and went to a till..
Yes I hate those things I would much rather have an actual person at the checkout to chat to
the self service things are a hassle too always end up having to wait for someone to come and sort out a problem anyway
if I’m shopping on my own and the till’s are busy I’ll give up and not bother, the missus has more patience than me and goes to the self service area

WAMT?

My neighbour (at the back). He decided he didn't like my blackberry bushes as they were encroaching on his side of the boundary. So while I was out this morning, he's lent over the fence, cut them at ground level, and left them where they fell. Last year he planted a load of Laurel next to the fence, maybe I'll do the same....

At least he left the detritus your side otherwise you could have alledged theft but hopefully you enjoyed the blackberries whilst you could.

Last edited:
The barsteward has strangely been absent from his garden all afternoon/evening. I'll have a word with him tomorrow, In fact it might be two words... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Royal Mail.

Normally Royal Mail is excellent but yesterday Mrs T got a text, in the middle of the afternoon, from RM saying a parcel would be delivered the same day. It also said she could track the delivery by the number they provided.

When she went online to track the parcel there was a message saying they were unable to deliver the parcel at 11:30am because the property was inaccessible.

We live in a terraced house with a completely open front garden and the front door is about six steps from the pavement!

Our conclusion is the parcel was incorrectly recorded as out for delivery or it was out for delivery and somehow got left on the van.

Why couldn't RM have been honest about it and just say they had a technical problem and they would deliver another day? Instead their 'explanation' suggests they did everything right and we were the cause of their failure to deliver.

It really annoys me when companies cannot bring themselves to admit they got something wrong.

Dave

Royal Mail.

Normally Royal Mail is excellent but yesterday Mrs T got a text, in the middle of the afternoon, from RM saying a parcel would be delivered the same day. It also said she could track the delivery by the number they provided.

When she went online to track the parcel there was a message saying they were unable to deliver the parcel at 11:30am because the property was inaccessible.

We live in a terraced house with a completely open front garden and the front door is about six steps from the pavement!

Our conclusion is the parcel was incorrectly recorded as out for delivery or it was out for delivery and somehow got left on the van.

Why couldn't RM have been honest about it and just say they had a technical problem and they would deliver another day? Instead their 'explanation' suggests they did everything right and we were the cause of their failure to deliver.

It really annoys me when companies cannot bring themselves to admit they got something wrong.

Dave
Had similar with our green bin not being emptied on monday, Had to phone the council and they said the bin was not on the edge of the property, I asked about the other 6 houses at our end of the cul de sac as they were missed as well. The last time this happened it was with all the bags of rubbish, which a refuse technician had collected all together.
They did come and collect them both times.
It can only get worse as from september we will have 3 bins to be collected every week which will take longer than chucking the bags into a back of a lorry.

Yes I hate those things I would much rather have an actual person at the checkout to chat to
the self service things are a hassle too always end up having to wait for someone to come and sort out a problem anyway
if I’m shopping on my own and the till’s are busy I’ll give up and not bother, the missus has more patience than me and goes to the self service area
You must live on a different planet to me. I always choose the self service as it is much quicker. The only time I need an assistant is buying wine but that is dealt with very quickly. As for one breaking down, I did have a SS appear to have a hiccup in Waitrose recently but the assistant quickly resolved the issue. Please also bear in mind that I am rarely buying more than four items as I am not involved with any main shopping (down to my wife).

Dave

It can only get worse as from september we will have 3 bins to be collected every week which will take longer than chucking the bags into a back of a lorry.
Are you still local to me?
There has been a lot of compliants on FB regarding these bins.
I've watched the guys at work, they easily throw 8 bags on the back while one green bin is being emptied.
It seems they will be using 2 different lorries each week.

We are soon to be charged £58 pa for the benefit of a green waste bin. I agree that it is unfair that folk without a garden don’t get a rebate for not making use of the green waste service - but the future is here. Despite paying for the service in Council Tax we are to gain a new charge in excess of that.

We are soon to be charged £58 pa for the benefit of a green waste bin.
I understand that a lot of places do charge, but its always been free here in MK,
and the council claim that they will never charge for them.

We are switching from bags to bins next month, Green & black waste emptied weekly,
Cardboard / paper , + all other recycling to be done alternate weeks.

My money is on the fact that everything will go to fortnight collections, although the council deny it will never happen.
Yeah right.

I understand that a lot of places do charge, but its always been free here in MK,
and the council claim that they will never charge for them.

We are switching from bags to bins next month, Green & black waste emptied weekly,
Cardboard / paper , + all other recycling to be done alternate weeks.

My money is on the fact that everything will go to fortnight collections, although the council deny it will never happen.
Yeah right.
I agree the collection will become every 2 weeks, but a lot of houses will struggle getting it all to fit in the bin, seeing the numbers of bags put out each week.
We normally only fill half a bag of general waste each week and 1 bag of recycle stuff, plus a load of bottle. It's the green bins we struggle with for the garden waste. rarelly chuck out food waste apart from banana skins, carrot tops and meat bones, normally 1 small caddy a week.

I agree the collection will become every 2 weeks, but a lot of houses will struggle getting it all to fit in the bin,
Going on the amount of black bags left out, some here with multiple occupancy will struggle to fit it all in a weekly bin collection.
We normally only fill half a bag of general waste each week1 bag of recycle stuff, plus a load of bottle.
That's pretty much the same as me, I hardly have any glass it'd take over a year to fill the blue bin, waste food? What's that then :D
But I do get a fair bit of green waste, depending on the time of year.

Bikers doing wheelies along our local by-pass en route to the "Full Throttle Thursdays" meet at our local pub, followed by full volume live band for two hours! Thankfully, the heavens have opened and they have all scuttered away to their lairs! PS! I'm an ex biker but always respected other road users and neighbours surrounding biker meets.

Going on the amount of black bags left out, some here with multiple occupancy will struggle to fit it all in a weekly bin collection.
I resent putting out black bags because we never fill them even as much as 10% and that's once every three weeks.

Here in East Devon, our recycling system is simple and very effective, so there's little waste to get rid of.

We are issued with 4 bins
Green - non recyclable [ ie not plastic, glass , paper , garden waste]
Grey - plastic , glass, cans and aerosols
Blue - paper and card
Red - food waste and Garden waste

Green - emptied every 2weeks
Blue and grey alternate ,and go out on the week between the green bin pickups
The red bin goes out with the grey or blue bin
The system does seem to work and you get into the routine quickly

Here in East Devon, our recycling system is simple and very effective,
We will soon be using 4 bins
Green for food and garden waste ( weekly)
Black for household (weekly)
Red for paper and card (Alternate weeks)
Blue for recyclables, everything else, inc. glass, other that paper & card. Alternate weeks.

It used to be all of the above weekly, in bags. ( not the green waste of course, and glass in a blue box)
Black backs for household, clear sacks for recycling.

Can anyone tell me, if the recycling at certain supermarkets has changed, notably all Sainsburys. All of the Sainsburys where I live (SE) removed their recycling bins when the pandemic started. That is also when the stupidity over booking a slot at your local waste site started, which funnily enough, coincided with a lot of flytipping in my area.
Every action will have its equal reaction.

Can anyone tell me, if the recycling at certain supermarkets has changed, notably all Sainsburys. All of the Sainsburys where I live (SE) removed their recycling bins when the pandemic started. That is also when the stupidity over booking a slot at your local waste site started, which funnily enough, coincided with a lot of flytipping in my area.
Every action will have its equal reaction.
IIRC at the peak of the pandemic, the recycling area at our local Sainsbury's (Guildford) was out of bounds due to traffic control changes in the car park to accommodate the highly controlled queueing for the store entry and more click & collect usage.

However, since in store shopping has very much returned to normal the recycling zone has been available as per before the pandemic.

We are soon to be charged £58 pa for the benefit of a green waste bin. I agree that it is unfair that folk without a garden don’t get a rebate for not making use of the green waste service - but the future is here. Despite paying for the service in Council Tax we are to gain a new charge in excess of that.
I've never understood the argument that they dont use the service.
There are lots of services I help fund but never use. I'm glad theyre there for those that need them though.

Dunno, when we had a flat not only did we not have a need for it personally, the gardeners for the communal area were explicitly banned from using it because it was classed as trade waste….

Here in Guildford area we have always been able to take garden waste to the transfer station (unless that had changed?) but for household collections we pay per wheelie bin and have two of them.

Depending on the time of year we at times only fill one bin......but on occasion end up with two very full ones and some waste left over.

Frankly for the cost of the bins we are content as no trips with queues at the tip plus not having the approx 11 mile round trip.

I think my badly made point was that for a service that used to be included in Council Tax, a charge is being introduced on the guise of this is a service that only some people need. I would rather that the folk without the need for a green bin be given a rebate rather than my tax levy increase because I have a garden. Of course you may opt out - but have a feeling that will just increase the amount of fly tipped garden waste along with the rest of the stuff folk do not take to the tip. I would rather they just said that we have found a way of getting a further £58 per year from you. Suck it up.

Here in Guildford area we have always been able to take garden waste to the transfer station (unless that had changed?)
We can do that here also, ( not everyone opted to have a green bin) but the HWRC's needed to booked in advance, that started during covid, and continues.
There is only one or two that accept a van, claiming that its trade waste, if you turn up in a van, you get turned away.
Fly-tipping is an issue here, and the council don't seem to understand that they are creating the problem not solving it.

Interesting that locally you have to opt in (and pay an annual fee) for garden waste collection. They will only collect the bins if you are paid up so those with no or very small gardens would not need this or pay, Inevitably the quantity of waste produced varies so with neighbours, we often offer spare bin space. You can still take excess waste to the local recycling centre but they are making this more and more difficult.

Dave

I'm going to pay the 58 quid Green Bin charge.
I've got a 7ft high privet hedge and that fills the bin when I cut it.
Will share my bin with the bloke next door who cuts my grass when he does his.
Seems fair enough to me.

I'm going to pay the 58 quid Green Bin charge.
I've got a 7ft high privet hedge and that fills the bin when I cut it.
Will share my bin with the bloke next door who cuts my grass when he does his.
Seems fair enough to me.

£58 ? It's £40 here. It's the right think to do because you have the hassle of getting it to the tip and if it's like ours you have to go online and book as time slot. That was introduced during Covid restrictions but they've kept it in place. I would have a 12 mile round trip to our tip.

Back