Wanna bet on that?

"Excellent" candid street style capture Toni, I've seen this guy on several occasions in London particularly around the Trafalgar Square area.

Interesting capture, quite out of the ordinary. (y)

Thank you, that's high praise considering your speciality.

Many of those 'marks' surrounding guys like this are actually the guy's accomplices, pretending to 'win' money in front of the few real marks watching and passing by. Illegal, of course, but these guys only seem to get caught by photographers,

Thanks Gary. There was a woman watching another of these guys who kept losing (£10/time) and another guy promptly came up and won substantially immediately after, to the point I wondered if there were something like that going on. I'm sure they're working the tourists and not Brits.

Mostly, yes. I've counted up to eight groups working on Westminster Bridge, almost all on the east side, nearest the South Bank and the London Eye.

These were all on the other side that day - I had to do a mental check, but we were walking away from the HoP and I turned back to take this through a gap that opened briefly in the crowd.

It always occurs to me that the distracted folk watching this going on are probably at risk of dipping more than actually losing money by 'playing'. Obviously some folk mistakenly think that they have any chance of winning doing this but the only way is to out cheat the cheater and chance his friends allow you to walk away. I recall an experience with a Gilly Gilly man in Suez 40 odd years ago....

Merchant Navy, 1976 went through Port Said. Was watching the Gilly Gilly man doing magic tricks by myself after leaving a bar and was obviously targeted. Lost wallet, wristwatch etc.

Ironically I was taking some rubbish out a day or two later on the same ship in a pair of shorts and flip flops and got robbed on the ship by two blokes with knives wanting the contents of the bin. When they realised it was rubbish they relieved me of both my shorts and flip flops. The rest of the crew found it hilarious that I needed the bin to cover my modesty.

I have only been back to Egypt once since and pleased to report no robbings occurred to either myself of wife but have no desire to go back, but did suffer significant stomach events.

Last edited:
Merchant Navy, 1976 went through Port Said, was watching the Gilly Gilly man doing magic tricks by myself after leaving a bar and was obviously targeted. Lost wallet, wristwatch etc.

Ah, sorry. Thought it might have been a bit more exciting than simple theft. :(

Back