1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. omens

omens

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thought I'd best post here instead of hijacking someone else's thread.

I love my Powershot G12. I've had it since it's release in 2011. I loved the vari-angle screen, the level of control, the hotshoe and ability to add a flash. It was jacket-pocketable (definitely not trouser pocketable). I've got a 270EXII flash and a filter adapter + ND filters to use with it. I use it more than my 70D.

But the lens coating is scratched so I get flares in sunlight, and it's only 12MP. There's also an appreciable lag between pressing the shutter and getting the photo. It's low light performance, whilst good for the time, is poor now.

I had hoped the G5X was the successor but it looks like it has some issues, especially with shutter lag and focussing (according to dpreview).
    I've looked at the RX100 series (probably III or maybe the IV at a stretch) but there's no hotshoe for external flash and it doesn't have as much reach.

I'm open to suggestions or recommendations. I've abandoned thoughts of brand loyalty. I use my G12 wherever I don't take my 70D - holidays, parties, family gatherings, days out etc. I use it preference to my iPhone 6S.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 7:22 PM
  2. maarten.dhaese

maarten.dhaese

Name:
    Maarten D'Haese
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If it's reach you want you could do a lot worse than the Canon G3X. Here is a good review: https://luminous-landscape.com/canon-g3x-review/

For the budget of a G5X you could also get quite a bit of kit in the m4/3 world. A basic setup could be:

Panasonic G6/G7: both have fully articulating screens which you like
    Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS approx £100 s/h
    Panasonic 45-150mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS approx £100 s/h
    Panasonic 20 f/1.7 MkI approx £110 s/h

This will still be compact but will be slightly bigger than a Canon G12. Look at the size comparison here: http://camerasize.com/compare/#101,455
    As an alternative the Panasonic GM5 m4/3 body is tiny (same size as the Sony RX100) but lacks any kind of tilt screen and is not as ergonomic to use.

The Sony RX100 range is really excellent and you will have no issues with shutter lag or focusing if you decide to go that way. I would get at least the MkIII because of the viewfinder.

omens likes this.
  3. Rosedalelad

Rosedalelad

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Those old G series Canons were just amazing. Good IQ and manual override and a quality lens in a truly pocketable body. I have had a few and managed to buy one of the last G16s - the latest Canon compacts just don't cut the mustard for me.

omens likes this.
  4. omens

omens

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I think the G3X looks a bit too bulky for a pocket camera. Certainly I don't need that much reach. The G12 has equivalent of 28–140 mm, which is fine for most things IMO.

But then that strays away from the concept of a pocket cam. I have my 70D that I would take for anything where I felt the G12 wouldn't be enough.

Yup definitely looking at the RX100. I realised I was hung up on wanting something with a hotshoe for flash and then realised I haven't used the 270EXII flash for a while because I just bring out the 70D and 430EXII whenever I need it.

Damn straight.