Want a new compact camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd best post here instead of hijacking someone else's thread.

I love my Powershot G12. I've had it since it's release in 2011. I loved the vari-angle screen, the level of control, the hotshoe and ability to add a flash. It was jacket-pocketable (definitely not trouser pocketable). I've got a 270EXII flash and a filter adapter + ND filters to use with it. I use it more than my 70D.

But the lens coating is scratched so I get flares in sunlight, and it's only 12MP. There's also an appreciable lag between pressing the shutter and getting the photo. It's low light performance, whilst good for the time, is poor now.

I had hoped the G5X was the successor but it looks like it has some issues, especially with shutter lag and focussing (according to dpreview).
I've looked at the RX100 series (probably III or maybe the IV at a stretch) but there's no hotshoe for external flash and it doesn't have as much reach.

I'm open to suggestions or recommendations. I've abandoned thoughts of brand loyalty. I use my G12 wherever I don't take my 70D - holidays, parties, family gatherings, days out etc. I use it preference to my iPhone 6S.

Last edited:
If it's reach you want you could do a lot worse than the Canon G3X. Here is a good review: https://luminous-landscape.com/canon-g3x-review/

For the budget of a G5X you could also get quite a bit of kit in the m4/3 world. A basic setup could be:

Panasonic G6/G7: both have fully articulating screens which you like
Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS approx £100 s/h
Panasonic 45-150mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS approx £100 s/h
Panasonic 20 f/1.7 MkI approx £110 s/h

This will still be compact but will be slightly bigger than a Canon G12. Look at the size comparison here: http://camerasize.com/compare/#101,455
As an alternative the Panasonic GM5 m4/3 body is tiny (same size as the Sony RX100) but lacks any kind of tilt screen and is not as ergonomic to use.

The Sony RX100 range is really excellent and you will have no issues with shutter lag or focusing if you decide to go that way. I would get at least the MkIII because of the viewfinder.

Those old G series Canons were just amazing. Good IQ and manual override and a quality lens in a truly pocketable body. I have had a few and managed to buy one of the last G16s - the latest Canon compacts just don't cut the mustard for me.

If it's reach you want you could do a lot worse than the Canon G3X.
I think the G3X looks a bit too bulky for a pocket camera. Certainly I don't need that much reach. The G12 has equivalent of 28–140 mm, which is fine for most things IMO.

For the budget of a G5X you could also get quite a bit of kit in the m4/3 world.
But then that strays away from the concept of a pocket cam. I have my 70D that I would take for anything where I felt the G12 wouldn't be enough.

The Sony RX100 range is really excellent and you will have no issues with shutter lag or focusing if you decide to go that way. I would get at least the MkIII because of the viewfinder.
Yup definitely looking at the RX100. I realised I was hung up on wanting something with a hotshoe for flash and then realised I haven't used the 270EXII flash for a while because I just bring out the 70D and 430EXII whenever I need it.

Those old G series Canons were just amazing. Good IQ and manual override and a quality lens in a truly pocketable body. I have had a few and managed to buy one of the last G16s - the latest Canon compacts just don't cut the mustard for me.
Damn straight.

So I popped into a local department store and they kindly let me try out the RX100IV and the G5X.

The G5X was intuitive to use and change settings. Felt very natural (as it would given that both my dSLR and compact cameras are Canon). However, I couldn't get away from the fact that with the lens wide open at F2.8, it wasn't great. I took a photo of a telephone on the counter and it looked okay. I then took a photo of some ceiling lights a few metres away. There were haloes around the lights. This appears to be related to the lens. The haloes disappeared at F5.6. Very disappointing as I was otherwise so impressed, I would have bought it there and then.

The RX100 on the other hand had excellent sharp images. But I couldn't work out how to change shutter speed in manual mode. It wasn't intuitive unlike the Canon. Using the pop up EVF was a bit fiddly and of course the zoom range was a bit shorter than the Canon.

Both cameras were very small and light compared to the G12. Even though battery life is supposed to be short on these cameras, a camera + spare battery IMO would still be less than the weight of the G12.

I'm still struggling on choices. If there are any other recommendations or suggestions anyone has, I'd be grateful for them.

The RX100 on the other hand had excellent sharp images. But I couldn't work out how to change shutter speed in manual mode. It wasn't intuitive unlike the Canon. Using the pop up EVF was a bit fiddly and of course the zoom range was a bit shorter than the Canon.

Really... this should just be a matter or reading the manual if you can't work out the basic controls. You can't expect a piece of new kit from a different manufacturer to be as intuitive to you as the kit you've been using for years.

I have a Panasonic compact and I can operate it in my sleep but I'm certain that I couldn't operate your Canon compact as easily the first time I picked it up. Sorry to be so blunt but you really need to spend more than a few minutes to judge the kit.

Really... this should just be a matter or reading the manual if you can't work out the basic controls....you really need to spend more than a few minutes to judge the kit.

Obvious. Hence my comment:
Felt very natural (as it would given that both my dSLR and compact cameras are Canon)

As I stated, I was in a department store. I didn't specifically go to look at cameras but I did decide to have a look whilst I was there. I've read reviews about the RX100 being a bit awkward to use in terms of user interface. What's your experience of it?

Ex G12 user here. I now have an 80D and Sony rx100 mark 3. As you've already held a mark 4, you'll have some idea of how small the camera really is and how it fits in your hand. As a long time Canon user (over 30 years), there is no doubt that I find my 80D easier to use than the Sony (comfortable in the hand, button layout, grip, etc) That said, I do'nt find it particularly difficult to find my way around the Sony menu system. I do, though, find the lack of a touchscreen a bit of an issue when compared to the 80D (not sure if the rx100 mk 4 has a touchscreen). SInce the G12, I have also owned a Fuji XM-1 and Canon S120 - neither of these had a viewfinder and despite the excellent image quality of each, I found the lack of a viewfinder very problematic in bright sunlight. My next "compact type " camera was always going to have a viewfinder! Almost without exception, the images taken with my Sony are superb for a camera with a 1" sensor. When they're not, it's either user error or insufficient/poor light. I always shoot RAW and process in Lightroom. In terms of portability, I don't think you could ask for any more. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have just bought a LX100 and love it. It doesn't have a tilty screen, but you can use the app on your phone if needed. It's solidly built and has a full M43 sensor rather than the smaller options on the competitors. It also has a normal hotshoe rather than the funny Sony version.

Ex G12 user here.
Thanks. That was a lot of useful information. The fact that you know what a G12 handles like means you know what I'm after too. Touchscreen doesn't bother me much. On my 70D, I use the it to change settings rather than focussing.

I have just bought a LX100 and love it. It doesn't have a tilty screen, but you can use the app on your phone if needed.
Thanks. It's another camera that came up in my research. The lack of an articulated screen is a bit disconcerting. I use mine to take shots from above (given that i'm relatively short) and from down below, as well as self-portraits. But I will try to get my hands on this camera to assess it.

I've been using a G5X for the last year and apart from a few niggles it's a superb compact and I would consider it especially if your coming from a G12, I don't think there's a compact that doesn't have on problem or another.

I've been using a G5X for the last year and apart from a few niggles it's a superb compact and I would consider it especially if your coming from a G12, I don't think there's a compact that doesn't have on problem or another.
What niggles have you experienced?

Also have you experienced haloes and overly soft images at f/2.8?

i have a rx100 mk3 love it. Great little camera, Fantastic video to. Never had a issue on the odd time ive used it in manual.

Lent to the old man the other day when he went to barcelona and even he didnt struggle with it, so it must be user friendly

What niggles have you experienced?

Also have you experienced haloes and overly soft images at f/2.8?

It can have a slow buffer when shooting in raw, which feels like a second between shots, but like to take my time when shooting landscapes so that's not a problem for me.

But no I can't say I've noticed halos or softness at f2.8 but in low light autofocus can struggle a little and manual focus doesn't work well, you need to rotate the lens barrel a lot for it to focus then it jump right past the measurement bar.

Still a great camera with loads of manual control and I wouldn't be without evf on a compact now.

I have a Fuji X100T - wasn't sure I would be ok not having a zoom but it doesn't seem to bother me. It does have an excellent. Viewfinder.

Back