Want to start framing my own images. What Equipment?

Name
Elliott
Edit My Images
No
I want to start framing my own pictures. This won't be on an industrial scale.

What equipment do people use.

1. For cutting the frame (I've seen a Logan Mitre saw for around £250 which seem a bit steep)

2. For joining the frame (Again a couple from Logan ranging from £150 - £350)

3. Cutting the glass

Obviously, other that the Logan stuff there are some MUCH cheaper options but don't always get great reviews.
I have just bought a Logan kit for cutting the mounts. That was only £44 so not to bad.

Where do you buy your frames and mounts from. Any good, affordable, reliable places I should know about?

It is something I'd like to do, I bookmarked this site, not used them but may give you a start http://www.diyframing.com/
Absolutely. I know these people, they're just down the road from me. They sell everything you could need, they run courses to teach you how to do it, and they do framing themselves for the people (like me) who find it all a bit scary. Highly recommended.

Absolutely. I know these people, they're just down the road from me. They sell everything you could need, they run courses to teach you how to do it, and they do framing themselves for the people (like me) who find it all a bit scary. Highly recommended.
Always nice to get a personal recommendation, thanks Stewart.

Excellent, be interested in how it goes :)

Mixed bag at the moment. The saw itself it great. It makes a lovely clean cut.

The measuring table add on it not quite as advertised and makes it completely useless for my A3+ prints. The website claims "It can handle frames from 90 mm (3.5") to 700 mm (27.5") long."
The reality is that whilst the table may be just over 700mm long, a measured cut can only be cut to around 590mm.
It looks like that section was a waste of money and will go in the cupboard. Will have to find another solution.

You also need a mat/mount cutter.

I started to do this but getting the cut precise is not easy. I pinned and glued the corners.
I bought most of my stuff from Lion.

Www.lionpic.co.uk

Also, glass is not cheap, so in the end I just bought ready made frames with glass and cut the mounts to accomodate the print.

Have a mount cutter (Handheld Logan device) and it works well. I've tried a few test cuts and is pretty accurate. You just have to be carefull not to overrun the cut.
Underpinner is on the way for joining the frames.

I won't be using glass. Acrylic sheets are pretty cheap for A1ish sizes even for the better stuff.

Acrylic or any other plastic scratches over time (even from being wiped with a duster), so remains a poor option in terms of the long-term viewing of the picture. I'd never use it myself. Glass every time.

Acrylic or any other plastic scratches over time (even from being wiped with a duster), so remains a poor option in terms of the long-term viewing of the picture. I'd never use it myself. Glass every time.

Well you do get scratch resistant acrylic. I have a framed photo (custom ordered online), I chose acrylic because I didn't trust glass being couriered to me.

1. You you can't really tell it's acrylic unless you tap it.
2. It's been on the wall for six months now and no sign of scratches, even after weekly dusting.
3. If it does ever scratch, for a few quid I can replace it within 20 minutes.

Also, non of the online framing supplies companies that I have found will ship glass and I don't want to be dealing with off cut or broken glass.

I am in two minds about whether to use glass or acrylic, I have used both with pre-made frames. I understand the risks of glass, but I do wonder if it isn't the best long-term option, I wouldn't want to be re-glazing pictures even once a year. I'm fortunate there is a local glazing company that will cut glass to size at a reasonable cost so may well go that route. Maybe worth seeing of there is one local to you.

I'm actually moving in the opposite direction and stopping the production of framed prints. I could never properly clean the glass to a satisfactory standard and those little particles that keep appearing in between the print and glass is enough to send me psycho. I also just don't have time to do them anymore.

Back