Want to try some portrait work

Name
Bryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone

Just as a laugh (e.g don't get the business police from other sections of this forum to bash me on the head) I wish to try some portrait style photos using my 35mm gear.

Now for me, the unknown is a big factor, with digital you rattle a shot off, check how lighting is etc and fire away... film you take the shot and go... oh yea next... :LOL:

Where do i start - Any advice on particuller camera/flash/lens combos that might be better suited than what I have?

Please - No stupid suggestions - Want to keep budget fairly low cheers :)

Bry

Why not forget lighting if you haven't got any and shoot natural light (not my thing but some folk rave about it)?

Have you got a light meter? Or any lights? Have you got a digital camera you can use as a Polaroid to check the lights?

The MTL 5 B would be fine for portraits (apart from the mirror slap scaring the subject!!!) so no need to buy a new body unless you're not happy setting up on manual :) and I'd recommend a 80mm or 135mm lens (for M42 the Zeiss Sonnar 135 3.5 is meant to be really good, as well as the Pentacon 135 3.5) depending on how close you can/want to get to the subject. I don't know much about flash as I've always stuck with available light.

Set it all up using digital (that's what Polaroid was used for before digital, instant feedback) then just take the finished shots on film. :)

My partner has a Fuji compact digital camera which I can use as a reference for setup :) As for lights I currently have natural only :LOL:

Time to have a ganders around for some new lenses, on that note if Im going for fairly "moody" style photos, which film is great for portraits?

Bry

As Ali says above, use a digital camera to check settings, then when you're happy, transfer the settings to the film cameras. In the past the only option available was to check the image on a polaroid back, but polaroid backs were only available at considerable cost for expensive film cameras.
Never stopped anyone from taking correctly exposed (and focussed) pictures though!
Good luck.

Well, knowing that you don't actually have a digital camera you can *practically* use as a "meter" I'd be telling you to look for a light meter and something big and white to use as a reflector for any natural light on your subject. Then a decent lens, the faster the better really in this case so maybe even a 135 f/2.8 if you can.

If you struggle give me a shout and you can have some loaners :D

Back