1. StewartR

StewartR Efrem Zimbalist Jr Advertiser

Name:
    Stewart (duh)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    @ancient_mariner - I'm looking for a new Android phone for my wife. Not too big, decent battery life, reasonable but not state-of-the-art spec ... sound familiar? I used the very comprehensive Phone Finder functionality at GSM Arena and my shortlist was basically a bunch of Xiaomi phones including the 4X. It seems to tick a lot of boxes for my wife's needs, as it apparently did for you. Your early reports of usage seem very favourable too - so I think I'm going to get one. Unless there is anything else you'd want to add that would influence my decision....?

2. ancient_mariner

ancient_mariner

Name:
    Toni
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi @StewartR I've had the phone in my hands 10 days now, so I suppose that if I were writing for a magazine this would be a long-term test. ;)

Nothing has changed especially, and tonight I just put the phone on charge for the third time since first use. It's almost boring in that everything just works and gets on with stuff as it should without stutters or several seconds of wondering "is the app going to open?". You'll probably want to spend a bit of time going through all the MIUI menu options and especially altering privacy settings. Bumper cases are a little more expensive than many other phone types, but can still be found on Amazon for £5-£6. If I bought it again then I'd probably spend an extra few quid for the black model (if it were available - they don't seem to be in stock on the link below) because I don't do bling and don't especially like the white bezel round the screen, but that may not bother your wife one iota.

This link should take you to the appropriate page on Gearbest where mine came from, current price £104 plus about 4 quid shipping from the GW6 warehouse in the EU (probably Italy): https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_690359.html?wid=1090517

3. StewartR

StewartR Efrem Zimbalist Jr Advertiser

Name:
    Stewart (duh)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Wonderful, thanks. I was a bit confused about the 'International' version of the phone versus the 'Global' version versus the 'UK plug' version, but you've cleared that up too. Thanks very much!

ancient_mariner likes this.
  4. Neilc28

Neilc28

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    For what it's worth, Xiaomi's event this morning has indicated some pretty decent new tech, the Mi8 phone, Mi Band 3, new TV's and VR.

5. ancient_mariner

ancient_mariner

Name:
    Toni
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I haven't seen that, but I'd heard there were some very interesting new things coming.

6. ancient_mariner

ancient_mariner

Name:
    Toni
    Edit My Images:
    No
    OK, to briefly revive this thread, we're just back from Italy. Although my Xiaomi phone works very well in all respects here in the UK, in Italy it offered 3G calls only - no data - presumably because Italy uses 900/1800mhz for 4G which the phone doesn't have. Unlike in the UK, it seems they don't put data down their 3G infrastructure. We got by with our old Lumias, which had 4G connectivity without trouble. If you're an international traveller then make sure the phone will work in all the places you expect to go.

What it did bring home to me was how much apps use the data connection even when they aren't being actively used. Left it on in flight mode, and it went from 50% to 23% between Wednesday and Sunday, including several hours screen time in that period.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A good thread for me - my Xiaomi mi5 is on its last legs, as the battery only lasts half a day now, but it is about 2 1/2 years old and has been faultless otherwise. I was wondering about phones with replaceable batteries as it seems wrong to have to bin a phone that still works in every other way but there isn't many it seems.
    My wife and daughter both have the redmi 4 and they are still going strong with plenty of battery life..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  8. Neilc28

Neilc28

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My Mi5's battery still lasts about 1 1/2 days, I did out of interest look at how easy it is to change the battery and it's relatively easy to be honest...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uuSmcp-p5o

9. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Oooh.. Now that could be interesting!
    Ill have a proper look when I'm back at a computer, but many thanks for posting it!