Wanting a all around lens

Edit My Images
No
I'm want to get into photography and just purchased the canon rebel 4ti and I have to kit lens 18-55 and the 55-250. What will be the one best lens to purchase for all around photo shots.

Again depend on what your going to shoot.

I find good all around lens for me are the mid range zooms,say an 24-70/80 with an F2.8 aperture :)

Go play with what you've got, you don't need anything else at the moment.. ;)

I'm with Alastair on this one - the 2 kit lenses you've got are a pretty good combination - save your money, shoot loads of pictures, and eventually you'll find something that they can't cope with... at that point, consider spending some more money to fix that problem... no point in spending money now on something just for the sake of it.

Hello rdarlin1 and welcome to TP. Can't agree more with the not buying any other lens and taking lots of photos.

If you are completely new to photography put the camera on Auto. You will get some good shots but if you will also get photos where you'll be saying, "I didn't want it to look like that". That is the beginning of learning more and using your camera to get the best from it.

Get to know aperture, shutter speed and ISO (the exposure triangle), how they relate to each other and the effect they have on the shots you take and use the EXIF data that is recorded with every shot to understand why the photos look like the way they do.

Dave

There are some extreme fisheye lenses that can take pictures all around you.... I'm not helping am I?

I agree with the others.

Stick to the lenses you have, and until you've 'worn them out' and you know what you enjoy shooting, then consider 'upgrading' your lens(es).

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have a bunch of questions so please be looking out for me. I'm enjoying my new hobby and thankful for you all.

If there was any such thing as an all round lens.. we would all have it.. lens manufacturers would be out of business and it wouldnt really be a dslr....

A 15-85mm offers superb range, brilliant walk around lens. Or if you have money to burn the 17-55mm f2.8 IS is awesome, great in low light and covers a very useful range

You can try Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 at all range. There are two models (as I know) - one with and one without stabilization. The one without is more sharper and compact. But the stabilazed version will let you shoot at 1/10s in night by hand. Both are very nice priced for their performance.

Go play with what you've got, you don't need anything else at the moment.. ;)

Some years ago I wanted a single lens to cover the same focal lengths as the 2 that came as a kit with my first modern SLR so I traded in the 2 kit lenses (28-80 and 70-300, both Nikkor) against the (then) recently released Tamron 28-300. Regretted it from the first time I used it and upgraded to the 2 lens solution as soon as I could afford to do so! Managed to shift the 28-300 on to someone who was very happy with it since he shot rallying and didn't want to be changing lenses in the woods and grit. Now got a selection of zooms and primes and generally try to keep as small a range on a zoom as possible (the more range the softer in general) although I do have an 18-200 that I keep on my old D70 as a do-it-all solution when I don't want to cart a bag around.

I have used on DSLR the Nikon 28-300mm the 18-200mm both were very good,now I have an Fuji 18-135mm which I like a lot :)

Lens design has come a long way in recent years but I would bet that in most cases a pair of lenses covering a given range will outperform a single lens solution. I also have the Fuji 18-135 but that certainly wasn't a budget option!

Back