Wanting a high quality compact at £1000

Edit My Images
No
I have decided to sell my SLR gear as I dont use it as much as I should and when out and about don't fancy hauling around a heavy SLR. I want a very high quality compact camera which can produce SLR quality photos at a budget of 1k. I have my eye on a Fuji X100 but would like advice and views from forum members.

X100 is your only choice really.

Unless you are willing to look into the m4/3 + a few primes

Fuji X100 or even a Leica X1 from ebay I've seen for about £1k although they are used.

I have decided to sell my SLR gear as I dont use it as much as I should and when out and about don't fancy hauling around a heavy SLR. I want a very high quality compact camera which can produce SLR quality photos at a budget of 1k. I have my eye on a Fuji X100 but would like advice and views from forum members.

Any of the Compact Camera System models will give you DSLR quality, they all use DSLR quality sensors. So the real question is what do you want to use it for and should suggest which model & lens combination is right for you.

For good DSLR-level performance, with flexibility to change lenses, the Sony NEX is hard to beat. You can get adapters for just about any lens mount and the new firmware (as seen in the NEX-C3) has brilliant support for manual focussing.

The X100 looks incredibly sexy, but I just don't see the point in spending 1k on a camera with a fixed lens, when you could get something very decent like a 60D with its kit lens for the same price. The only real advantage is size, but interchangeable lenses as well as all the other perks of a DSLR completely nullify the X100 IMO.

If you want to compromise size and image quality, then you can also get a very solid Micro 4/3 setup for 1K.

The X100 looks incredibly sexy, but I just don't see the point in spending 1k on a camera with a fixed lens, when you could get something very decent like a 60D with its kit lens for the same price. The only real advantage is size, but interchangeable lenses as well as all the other perks of a DSLR completely nullify the X100 IMO.

If you want to compromise size and image quality, then you can also get a very solid Micro 4/3 setup for 1K.

Think the OP had a D3S and D700 + some top notch glass so a 60D and kit lens might be a bit of a disappointment not to mention it's still pretty bulky.

Agree on the 4/3 set up though, there's some adaptors that opens up interesting new lens mounts.

The leica Digilux 2 is not in fact a 4/3rds sensor camera, it has a much smaller 2/3" sensor as in the better compacts and as such has the limitations at high iso and the inability to defocus backgrounds in most circumstances. I recently ran a course for the owner of this exceptional but dated camera.

I'd recommend the panasonic GF-2 with a 14mm, 20mm and 14-45mm lens all of which will fit into pockets of a light jacket. if you can't handle the lack of a viewfinder - the LCD does have a high power mode- consider one of the G series.

The x100 is a beauty and very pocketable. I checked one out yesterday at the classic camera shop but the fixed 35mm equiv lens is very limiting.

The leica Digilux 2 is not in fact a 4/3rds sensor camera, it has a much smaller 2/3" sensor as in the better compacts and as such has the limitations at high iso and the inability to defocus backgrounds in most circumstances. I recently ran a course for the owner of this exceptional but dated camera.

I'd recommend the panasonic GF-2 with a 14mm, 20mm and 14-45mm lens all of which will fit into pockets of a light jacket. if you can't handle the lack of a viewfinder - the LCD does have a high power mode- consider one of the G series.

The x100 is a beauty and very pocketable. I checked one out yesterday at the classic camera shop but the fixed 35mm equiv lens is very limiting.

Quite right sorry the DL 3 is the Panasonic wannabe :bonk:

Back