Wanting some wildlife tips!

Edit My Images
Yes
Since snapping a fox carrying his dinner I've been fascinated with observing wildlife, mainly fox, deer and rabbit. It's alleged there is a black fox locally and I'd love to photograph it, but I'm definitely in need of some fieldcraft skills.

If you have signs of say rabbits and foxes, would you visit at different times of the day or visit around dawn/before sunset and stay around an area where you've found droppings and clear signs of paths coming out of hedges?

It feels a bit awkward hanging around as these droppings and paths on on public footpaths!

You certainly need to be there at the same time as the wildlife is. You also need to be quiet (as in silent), not reeking of antiperspirant and dressed soberly. If you can manage to be downwind, so much the better.

You're right - it's all about fieldcraft.

You need to study the ways of the animal that you're intending to stalk; find out what sort of habitat it likes, what it eats, what time of day is best and obviously if one has been seen you've got a good start. :)

On the day you go looking, you need to wear clean clothes that haven't been washed in any kind of perfume and be sure that you don't wear any yourself (deodorant, aftershave, hair gel etc.). If you smoke, then learn to go without - they'll smell you a mile away.

Wear broken pattern clothing similar in colour to the surroundings so that the outline of your body isn't easily recognised (camo gear isn't necessary, but can help). Be sure to make sure you are downwind (wind coming from them to you, not the other way round) this will greatly reduce your chances of being detected.

You need to be as still and silent as possible - noisy shutters will spook them, so if you can use an electronic shutter it will help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I generally wear earthy colour clothes and have a large leafy tree camo print net. I was just looking at some deer stalking tips and pretty much echos exactly what you've all said, thanks!

Oh lastly. I've got dozens of wooded areas round here if varying sizes. Do you think local council would be able to tell me if they are privately owned or managed by them or some other organization?

If you don't climb over fences or go through gates marked Private or No Entry, you should be OK for a wander around with a camera (as long as you only point it at wildlife - not property).

If you see any people, just ask them if they know who it belongs to so that you can seek their permission. Trespass is not against the law unless you are causing wilful damage, but you can still p*** people off - leave if you're asked to.

I don't think I've ever seen any gates or signs on any of them, maybe I'll go for a little nose at soon, thanks.

Reactions: Sky
Learn how to use a fox call .....they will come running to you

Although field craft is worth learning ,it’s all part of package most of my best shots have been taken when the opportunity arose ,so being aware and observant is the best bet , walk slowly take in your surroundings and if the target spots you raise your camera slowly ,fast movement alerts them to danger . Standing still with a silly grin often works better than anything

Fieldcraft, for sure.

Also, patience, and then some more. You will spend a lot more time not photographing wildlife than you will photographing it. Use that time to get to know your subject's habits, where it frequents, times of day it's most active, etc etc.

Good luck, it's frustrating but very rewarding when it comes together and if you stick at it, it will.

Back