War and Peace 2010 - Portraits

Name
Matthew Locke
Edit My Images
Yes
This was a show we covered for an events photography company I worked for over the summer, shame the company is now up for sale as it was great fun.

The show is held at Hop Farm and is the largest militry event in europe, people come from as far as america with the costumes and vehicles. It's a really bizarre place to go what with soldiers marching around, tanks all over the place and gun fire thought the day from reenactments going off all over the place.

These have been on flickr for ages just never got round to posting them.

War and Peace 2010 by Pixel-Snapper, on Flickr

Theres loads more that I haven't got round to processing.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I really like the last one Matthew, might well be back in Tobruk with the weary 8th Army man relaxing.

Heheh I know the guy in the last one, thats one of my friends :D

1 a bit to much sky in the photograph it would be better if the two gentalmen filled more of the frame.

2 My favorate photograph of the serise. I like the juxtaposition. of the young and old and and how the young is waering a uniform and how history repeats. it fills my heads with thoughts so it is a successfull photograph!

3 again just a bit to much head room

4 lovley portrait, I like the light but his eyes are closed or at least straining in the light.

5 i think the composition would be alot stronger if you could have shot the booth head on so there was a sysmatry

6 very nice candid. its not just obvius what the rope is doing there? Maybe getting closer and shooting wider would have had more impact?

Hope that helps

Stuart

Very nice.

Its hard to get clean backgrounds at that show and you've done a damned fine job.

Very nice.

Its hard to get clean backgrounds at that show and you've done a damned fine job.

Thanks Desantnik,

This is why I shot most of them so tight, also about timing and being polite in asking people to step aside... I was an official tog with a ID badge so a flash of that helped alot.

I hadn't notice you say one is of your friend, I'd be happy to send them the image if they wish.

Reenactors don't mind posing for photographers... actually, they positively love posing LOL

PM me your email address and I'll get my friend to drop you a line.

Did you take any of the Soviets? :D

Thanks for the PM - have emailed my chum.

I'd like to see the Soviets if you have any...

You where there then hahaha..... excellent set.

I wonder how many times we passed each other over the course?

Do you remember seeing any photographers with white t-shirts (well mostly dusty brown) and yellow reflective jackets on?

Will have a look again, but I cant think what part of the ground that was.

No, not my photo that one - but yes, I was there :D

Thats right in the middle of the reenactors field - same place as your other photos were taken.

I thought maybe the big muddy hole and the large Red Flag would have given you some mental reference :D

after 6days of walking round for 9hours a day it all sort of blurred into one, I wasn't sure who was what by the end of it, that coupled with the dust and heat of course.

Good fun though, might go for the day this year again as where not covering the event.

Great pics! Went a couple of years ago to this show, would like to get to that this year, hopefully with a proper camera this time ;) Dont think I'll be able to get to that standard though :p

What equipment were you using?

Added you on flickr :) I see you've got some landies on there!

Last edited:
Great pics! Went a couple of years ago to this show, would like to get to that this year, hopefully with a proper camera this time ;) Dont think I'll be able to get to that standard though :p

What equipment were you using?

Added you on flickr :) I see you've got some landies on there!

Hi Adam,

Yep added you on flickr mate, you have some wicked shots of Landies too fella.

Canon 40d with either siggy 24-70 f2.8 or canon 70-200 f4.

Back