Warham nature reserve kingfisher, others to follow. Updated 8/08/19 containing more images

Very nice. I am in process of trying to grab a good shot of the kingfisher myself. Does this nature reserve have any hides etc to watch out for the kingfishers?

It does indeed has 3 hides, with spots like above, and there’s a few of them feeding there. They can be spotted from other places there to in the trees but I haven’t so lucky.

For the most part my biggest challenge is getting closer enough to one too get a really detailed shot. I might give this nature reserve a visit next week :)

It’s a nice place to visit, that was miminal crop, but at 820mm search Warnham read bed on Facebook you see loads taken from there.

Nice shots

Thank you. Can’t go back tonight so I will try f10 instead of f9 tomorrow and see what happens :) got plenty of shots to go through still.

I am pretty impressed so far with the setup, love the fact I am no longer tied to center point focus.

Last edited:

These two are just incredible!!
Think I'll visit as soon as I get my new lens.
Could you perhaps suggest some good spots?
Or just go with me lol :D

Thank you.

Give us a pm when your going i’ll Be more then happy to go with you. But any of the hides are good spots depending on the mood of the birds and where they decide to sit. Some people get good results on 400mm from the same spots with crop sensor bodies. The closer perches they use are in the Turn hide or Austin hide. The heron hide they tend to be further away and tend to be a push for the 400mm.

The full frame loves the the 1.4tc on the 600mm I can crop those much tighter if your style preferences are tighter.

Last edited:
Some very nice work here, especially the in flight at f10 and the last image.

Thanks I have to sit at f9 or f10 using the sigma 150-600mm sport with canon 1.4tc fitted. Last was the first time I stopped the lens down after tuning the combo to the body.

Got plenty more including inflight shots but would probably bore people if I posted them all.

What recommendations would you have regarding birds in flight? New to wildlife motorsport is where I cut my teeth into photography. Nothing else turned out to good last night was pretty quiet except for the beauty kingfisher feeding.

What recommendations would you have regarding birds in flight? New to wildlife motorsport is where I cut my teeth into photography. Nothing else turned out to good last night was pretty quiet except for the beauty kingfisher feeding.

Given the quality of the inflight you've posted here, I'd say you need little advice as it's a cracking shot. Not so much technique related but I think it does have a little too much space and would stand some cropping. That's by the by though and subjective.

Inflights have never been my forte, not yet but I'm working on it. A couple of weeks ago, I was on the Isle of May with the seabirds and puffins were flying about like little bombs. It took me a while to hit my mark but once I did, I got a hit rate of about 50%. It was of course much easier with hundreds of puffins flying around on similar flightpaths, rather than a single, potentially sporadic kingfisher. For that I had my 5D in AI Focus and Tracking Case 1. I found even the 5D struggled with messy backgrounds but it tracked with ease against the sky/sea, with a 150-600C. Nailing focus is first priority but is challenging, good light and higher shutter speeds help, I more often that not have the aperture as wide as the lens will allow at a given focal length, in my case for example, f6.3 at 600mm.

(y)

Very nice Darren, good to see the Kingfisher showing well.

If I had the time I would be down there myself, its within a stones throw of my house :)

Certainly looks like the Kingfishers are showing well there/for you at the moment......with great end results especially the in flight one(y)

And in case not mentioned, a very modest £2 per visit entry fee, though equally modest only £12 for an annual pass:)

It is a lovely reserve and I was introduced to it a while back by Ingrid @Gremlin plenty more there including Tree Creepers, Marsh Frogs etc

Given the quality of the inflight you've posted here, I'd say you need little advice as it's a cracking shot. Not so much technique related but I think it does have a little too much space and would stand some cropping. That's by the by though and subjective.

Inflights have never been my forte, not yet but I'm working on it. A couple of weeks ago, I was on the Isle of May with the seabirds and puffins were flying about like little bombs. It took me a while to hit my mark but once I did, I got a hit rate of about 50%. It was of course much easier with hundreds of puffins flying around on similar flightpaths, rather than a single, potentially sporadic kingfisher. For that I had my 5D in AI Focus and Tracking Case 1. I found even the 5D struggled with messy backgrounds but it tracked with ease against the sky/sea, with a 150-600C. Nailing focus is first priority but is challenging, good light and higher shutter speeds help, I more often that not have the aperture as wide as the lens will allow at a given focal length, in my case for example, f6.3 at 600mm.

(y)
Thanks, I can have play later didn’t get much chance last just signed up for light room for the iPad my computer with cs5 is broken so limited to what I can did do. These are pretty much as taken so hopefully could be cropped in tighter. Really have no idea how the images deal with being cropped yet.

Very nice Darren, good to see the Kingfisher showing well.

If I had the time I would be down there myself, its within a stones throw of my house :)

It’s very peaceful there atm and those I have met so far seem very nice. The kingfishers are showing very well atm if your lucky to be in the right hides at the right time.

Certainly looks like the Kingfishers are showing well there/for you at the moment......with great end results especially the in flight one(y)

And in case not mentioned, a very modest £2 per visit entry fee, though equally modest only £12 for an annual pass:)

It is a lovely reserve and I was introduced to it a while back by Ingrid @Gremlin plenty more there including Tree Creepers, Marsh Frogs etc

They are if you lucky to be in the right place.

Too true there’s plenty there just I haven’t been as lucky with other things as the kingfishers I do have turns else where’s but I think I will just update this post with other things from there as and when I get them rather then having loads of threads.

And bargain for the price!

It is a great place I often spend hours over there, sometimes without getting a single picture but it's just a nice peaceful place to be, last visit I actually finally got a reed warbler, damn elusive fast little things, need to go over soon
my annual pass needs renewing.
Nice pictures, especially the in flight ones

It is a great place I often spend hours over there, sometimes without getting a single picture but it's just a nice peaceful place to be, last visit I actually finally got a reed warbler, damn elusive fast little things, need to go over soon
my annual pass needs renewing.
Nice pictures, especially the in flight ones

It is indeed a nice place to sit and relax, feel free to pm me when you going if you want might be able to meet up.

I have started a Flickr album just for kingfishers
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182875825@N08/albums

And will start another for Warnham in general along with the other places I go to.
Invaded by Gulls?

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/182875825@N08/48374308086/in/datetaken-public/

Last edited:
It is indeed a nice place to sit and relax, feel free to pm me when you going if you want might be able to meet up.

Will do, might even pop over tomorrow sometime, just seen my membership has already run out ......oops

Fast little things, I did wonder what it was but thought it was a baby Grebe. so thanks for the ID! Got some other interesting shots of him to upload over the weekend.

They did have a breeding pair last year, not seen them this year, cute little things (y)

Might see you there, it's thundering here atm

There is a more then one there this year.

they are indeed, yep thunder here too.

Any way, got hold of the Sigma software and calibrated the lens for different focus lengths, done them all expect for infinity, then re-mocro adjusted for the convertor, yes took a while. but heres the first shot I took this morning.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2gHSAGc

Yes theres more there then just kingfishers lol.

P.s Macbook as above MacBook Pro now running, how does the Lightroom processing look like to others.

Back