Warnscale

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Nightmare 7 hour drive, followed by rushing my food down and giving myself a stitch as I went stomping up through the slate mine. About an hours walking and exploring to end up at the Bothy for around 4 seconds of light. It's all it takes in this game and makes the missed chances more bearable...

Warnscale Bothy by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

As always C & C wanted.

Very enjoyable shot Craig and well worth the 7 hour journey!
My only crit is that I wasnt there!

Last edited:
Cracking photo, beautiful light on the right hand side and great post processing too.

works for me.

All worthwhile in the end, Craig.... even after a 7 hour drive!

Fantastic Craig - you made really good use of those 4sec. Hope the drive back was better.

It’s these little moments that make us glad to be alive and out there really living life compared to the pub, football and tv zombies.

Cracking shot. Must try to get here one day it looks a fantastic spot

Very enjoyable shot Craig and well worth the 7 hour journey!
My only crit is that I was there!

Thanks everyone, yes I got plenty of other shots to work on still over the Friday night and Saturday. The drive home through the night was a bearable 4.5 hours too thanks Tony.

Lovely shot.
One of the special moments we go in search of.

Lovely shot.
One of the special moments we go in search of.

I have seen photos from this area before but I genuinely think that this is one of the best i have seen.

It is excellent and well worth going through the "nightmare" for

Thanks guys, I was very lucky, but you don't see all of the failures. Well you see most of them I post them! But was happy to have a bit of luck.

Lovely shot that Craig, i'm sometimes a bit unsure of shots taken squarely behind this bothy as it gets a bit lost in the slate but it seems to work well enough here

Thanks Stuart, I know what you mean, and had every intention of working the composition a bit before making 'the' shot. When I go to a location like this I deliberately don't look at other shots of it in advance, then hopefully I look at it with relatively fresh ideas. The light happened to quickly I went for an instinctive composition rather than a thought out one. I think the reason I get away with it, is because of the natural (and controlled/enhanced in post processing) colour separation between the blue slate roof and the warmer foreground rocks. These colours are nicely reflected higher up in the scene in the clouds and the sky....

Thought I'd replied to this post... Cracking shot! The light and the symmetry of the shot are perfect... I love the sun on the hillside to the right balancing the brightness to the right.

Back