Warton Today

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

Got some reasonable results from the new lens during a busy 2hrs at Warton today so I thought I'd make the effort and post, what do you think :shrug:

Saudi1_filteredMedium-1.jpg

Saudi2_filteredMedium.jpg

Saudi3_filteredMedium.jpg

Tiffy1_filteredMedium.jpg

IndiaHawk1_filteredMedium.jpg

Steve...

These are really great, there's something about planes like these that are brilliant, I think it is the kiddy 'top gun' in me!

May be able to make the skies a bit bluer with a bit of post processing which I will leave to someone else to guide you on - but what you have produced are nice and sharp. Great job.

What lens?

Gary

Great shots, and the new lens being?

Sorry, 70-200 L f2.8 (non is) the next purchase will be a 1.4x to get that little bit closer.

Steve...

Hey Steve,

Good to see some photos from Warton, not made it over there yet myself.

I think you've made a good effort considering the weather at the moment. I guess you've had to increase the exposure of the pictures and the sky has whited (is that a word? White-ed?) out. A bit of exposure compensation may have helped but with the current weather conditions it's more or less unavoidable.

Your composure is good and you've got the Saudi Tonka and IAF Hawk which is never a bad thing! The images are pretty compressed though (not sure if this is your doing or your hosts) and that has degraded the quality. For a 800x600 I would expect a file size somewhere between 150 and 250KB. I also think the Saudi Tonka could do with some more sharpening as it appears soft to me.

Looking forward to seeing more from Warton from you when spring arrives.

Gord.

Thanks for the replies, the advice is well taken.

Gord, have you any tips/settings for sharpening aircraft etc just to make them pop?

Steve...

Now there is a question!

I've tried a bunch of different methods and i'm still not 100% decided on the best method. My current method is to select all the sky in Photoshop and then use inverse. This will give you the plan selected. You don't want to sharpen the sky.

I sharpen what is selected using USM sharpening, then create a duplicate layer which is sharpened more. I then use the the rubber tool to 'erase' any jagged lines that can be seen.

Once I'm happy with it I merge the layers togeather. It's a bit of pain but it can produce some good results.

Okay, I've done a bit of reading and had another go at a couple of these images, any improvement?

Before

Saudi2_filteredMedium.jpg

After

SaudiTornado1.jpg

Before

Saudi3_filteredMedium.jpg

After

SaudiTornado2.jpg

Any thoughts?

Steve...

For me, yes they are sharper - even better. Be mindful not to go too far though, or you will end up with the planes not looking like they are really in the sky - like they have been entirely superimposed.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is sorting out a bit more blue in the sky - it would really benefit these now...

Nice shots. The first sharpened example looks a little overdone on my monitor but the second one is just about right.

Bob

Hi Steve,

I agree with Bob, the first one is over done. You can see the jagged lines on the underside of the aircraft especially but also on the leading edges of the wings.

The second one is very close, a fraction too much sharpening as you can see jagged lines forming on the air intake and rear control surfaces.

You are going in the right direction. Just a couple more tweaks.

Bob / Gord.

Thanks for the comments, the criticism is positive and points in me the right direction.

Cheers.

Steve...

Well Chenng, you set the challenge and I thought it rude to decline, so here goes;

SaudiTornado2sky.jpg

I know my efforts are'nt brilliant and it has left a blue cast but what do you think :shrug:

I only copied one on top of the other, set the blend mode to multiply and lowered the opacity. If someone could assist further I'd appreciate it.

Steve...

Back