Was the Canon 50D really that bad ?

50D bird photos you say

132775807.jpg

132776881.jpg

133048041.jpg

114827021.jpg

And the same bird too by the looks of it - Khan at the Barn Owl Centre?

What about the 60D ?, this one I am interested about as was originally considering before the 7D got stuck in my head.
My daughter has a 60D and has taken some nice shots with it. Not really used it myself beyond a quick play when she first bought it. I have contemplated the70D as I think the swivel screen would be good for video and macro and other situations where getting my eye to the viewfinder would be awkward.

I meant above ISO 400, so on the 20D IIRC that's 800 up... I do use ISO400 on the 20D and have used higher too when needs be.

:D

It is strange you mention about A3 as that is the original reason my Dad bought the 50D, but that is interesting that you used the settings at max on your 20D.

I have a couple of 20D A3 prints framed at home and the detail looks good to me and I've never had any negative comments about them. I'm pretty sure that the 50D could do better but I think that I'd have to see both prints side by side to appreciate the differences but I'd expect the 50D images to stand up to cropping and printing big better.

Yes, I used to use my 20D at ISO 3200 and I was reasonably happy with whole images and the biggest problem was when shooting at high ISO under artificial lighting but even more modern cameras can struggle with that.

What about the 60D ?, this one I am interested about as was originally considering before the 7D got stuck in my head.
'twas a joke as he missed the 30D and 60D from his list :)
60D is supposed to be a good camera - never had one so cant comment

Yup - same camera, same bird :D

Well, same model anyway, unless you stole mine, took it to Gloucester, took some photos and returned it without me noticing! :-D

I sold it to get a 7D back in 2012, and have now upgraded to a 7Dii, but still have very fond memories of that camera.

50D bird photos you say

132775807.jpg

132776881.jpg

133048041.jpg

114827021.jpg

Brilliant shots :D

My daughter has a 60D and has taken some nice shots with it. Not really used it myself beyond a quick play when she first bought it. I have contemplated the70D as I think the swivel screen would be good for video and macro and other situations where getting my eye to the viewfinder would be awkward.

Yes the swivel screen would come in use for macro

'twas a joke as he missed the 30D and 60D from his list :)
60D is supposed to be a good camera - never had one so cant comment

Aah ok, that makes sense :D

Some smashing shots there guys. I have always thought that the 50D was a decent camera. I did try a mates and quite liked it to be honest. Some nice features on it. The shots i took with it over a few days i was well pleased with but then again i am not an expert.

hes being facetious as those two are the cameras i don't own out of the series -there's nothing wrong with the 60D either although for the money the 70D is a cracking deal (be aware that up to the 50D all the xxD cameras use the BP511 battery - with the 60 and 70 canon changed to the LPe6 , this isnt a problem per se - except that if like me you use a 50 and a 70 you have to carry two sorts of battery

Last edited:
hes being facetious as those two are the cameras i don't own out of the series -there's nothing wrong with the 60D either although for the money the 70D is a cracking deal (be aware that up to the 50D all the xxD cameras use the BP511 battery - with the 60 and 70 canon changed to the LPe6 , this isnt a problem per se - except that if like me you use a 50 and a 70 you have to carry two sorts of battery

I didn't realise that about the difference in batteries, but I did notice that with exception of the 60D & 70D, the rest of the XXD series & the 7D uses the CF format instead of the SD.

And the 7DII uses both CF and SD cards

i own/use a 50d and a 1100d and a 70d the 50 is still a very good camera and for fps is still very good today as it was back then,

And the 7DII uses both CF and SD cards

Wow that does sound great but expensive to run.

i own/use a 50d and a 1100d and a 70d the 50 is still a very good camera and for fps is still very good today as it was back then,

That is great to know, I spoke to my Dad earlier and he still hasn't done much in the way of Photography, but has said that I am welcome to use his 50D for a couple days next week, so will see for myself how it works it the real world :)

The 7DII doesn't need both CF and SD cards to run. It can use either card type or both card types at the same time. It's also possible to save jpegs on one card and RAW files on the other at the same time

That is great to know, I spoke to my Dad earlier and he still hasn't done much in the way of Photography, but has said that I am welcome to use his 50D for a couple days next week, so will see for myself how it works it the real world :)

I suggest that you download the user manual for the 50D ahead of time to familiarise yourself with it so that you get the best use from your time with the camera. Have fun!

http://www.art.ucla.edu/photography/downloads/Canon_50D.pdf

Nope - brilliant for backups, I have this on my 5D mk3. You shoot and record to both cards.
For me, when I was shooting Rugby, I'd shoot raw to the CF card and small jpeg to the SD card. The SD card was then imported to an ipad on the walk back to the clubhouse after the match (faster upload, no need for high res) and the images put on as a slideshow with my business card next to them. I sold images from my website.

For the wedding I recently shot, I put both to record raw, so I had a backup and just swapped the sd card at the same time as the CF card. . I use 32Gb CF cards so generally have just one 32Gb sd card in all the time for the small jpegs.

The 7DII doesn't need both CF and SD cards to run. It can use either card type or both card types at the same time. It's also possible to save jpegs on one card and RAW files on the other at the same time

I suggest that you download the user manual for the 50D ahead of time to familiarise yourself with it so that you get the best use from your time with the camera. Have fun!

http://www.art.ucla.edu/photography/downloads/Canon_50D.pdf

That is really useful to know should I ever be lucky enough to get such a beautiful body, thanks for the link to the manual, I have used the camera briefly before, but only to show my Dad where certain settings were as I had familiarised myself pretty quickly on the essentials, but the manual will come in use as well. :)

Nope - brilliant for backups, I have this on my 5D mk3. You shoot and record to both cards.
For me, when I was shooting Rugby, I'd shoot raw to the CF card and small jpeg to the SD card. The SD card was then imported to an ipad on the walk back to the clubhouse after the match (faster upload, no need for high res) and the images put on as a slideshow with my business card next to them. I sold images from my website.

For the wedding I recently shot, I put both to record raw, so I had a backup and just swapped the sd card at the same time as the CF card. . I use 32Gb CF cards so generally have just one 32Gb sd card in all the time for the small jpegs.

That is brilliant that you have been able to make some profit from your shots, I have been asked to do a wedding in 2017, so am really looking forward to doing that, by then I should have more lenses and more experience in shooting people.

Ha, just seen this thread!

The 50d was, and still is, a bloody brilliant camera. I've shot tens of thousands of frames with one and mine is still going strong!

A few I found on my Flickr;

245 by Jim, on Flickr

Bleak down from garden March 2013 by Jim, on Flickr

11 by Jim, on Flickr

cup by Jim, on Flickr

McLaren Button by Jim, on Flickr

Lands End Landscape by Jim, on Flickr

As you can see, it's pretty proficient and capable :) It''ll handle anything you can chuck at it.

Last edited:
I still like my 50d every time I think about selling it, goes on a trip and I fall in love with it all over again, I still prefer to use it to my 60d, although I know technically the 60d is better there is just something about the 50d :)

I was gutted when I sold mine. But I had to find the funds for my 5D3 somehow. I know what you mean @jamez2013 I much preferred the 50D to the 60D. Somehow gave me much more pleasing images. Although I'm convinced the 60D had an offset sensor. Was never happy with the sharpness of it.

My Dad has kind of lost his way with photography over the years, as he was a film professional, but is finding it difficult to convert to digital, but also as he is getting on a bit now & suffers from Camera shake from time to time, he has become quite disheartened with photography, which is a tragic sight as he has some great equipment like a 100m 2.8 Macro, that has never been taken our of it's box :(. I do what I can by doing the 5hr train ride and giving him the odd visit to try and get his love for photography back.
If things like camera shake are putting him off of something he wants to do, has he considered swapping over to a lighter system like an MILC?

Back