Critique Wasdale

Edit My Images
No
A long exposure of Wasdale. Shutter length 1/50s, plenty fiddling on Photoshop! More of an experiment, to see if I can create a authentic looking LE. After doing this, the difficulty of masking natural features makes me realise that it is more suitable technique for urban environments.

_IGP1928-Edit.jpg

The original which I'm sure a lot of people will prefer._IGP1928.jpg

I am commenting because you asked for critique and I don't like seeing any threads going unanswered on these forums, even if the answer like mine will probably be of limited help.

I think it was a good exercise for you in the use of selective blurring, something I have applied before in PS to water, but not to skies like this. It achieves the look you are after in a similar way to a stopper. To really work for me thought the mountains need to be pin sharp, I don;t know if the reason they are not is down to missed focus, atmospheric haze, lack of sharpening when re sizing or your camera. But my point is softening the sky and water is one way of doing things, reversing your thinking and having more clarity/sharpness to the mountains will also help them pop of the screen more relative to the LE effect areas.

Only final comment is shoot in better light, and as a composition it needs a bit more of the screes on the right hand side to balance against the empty space on the left of Yewbarrow (?), it would then also work as a pano crop.

Might make a decent mono shot but not for me as they are.
I do not go there to shoot in these conditions and rarely at this time of year even though is only a 30 minute drive.

I am commenting because you asked for critique and I don't like seeing any threads going unanswered on these forums, even if the answer like mine will probably be of limited help.

I think it was a good exercise for you in the use of selective blurring, something I have applied before in PS to water, but not to skies like this. It achieves the look you are after in a similar way to a stopper. To really work for me thought the mountains need to be pin sharp, I don;t know if the reason they are not is down to missed focus, atmospheric haze, lack of sharpening when re sizing or your camera. But my point is softening the sky and water is one way of doing things, reversing your thinking and having more clarity/sharpness to the mountains will also help them pop of the screen more relative to the LE effect areas.

Only final comment is shoot in better light, and as a composition it needs a bit more of the screes on the right hand side to balance against the empty space on the left of Yewbarrow (?), it would then also work as a pano crop.

Thanks for you comment. I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments, just an old photo I was playing with. Sometimes we can't choose the light we shoot in, I don't let it restrict me when I'm out and about. Obviously we want great conditions but the lack of shouldn't stop you shooting.

Might make a decent mono shot but not for me as they are.
I do not go there to shoot in these conditions and rarely at this time of year even though is only a 30 minute drive.

Yeah I think mono is more suited to the style of extreme long exposures, but I thought colour might be something different.

I'd love to shoot here but would want it still. I know it can be done but it's hard.

Yeah would be a dream scenario.

i think you are on to something good
experimentation
dont mind lack of posts..
your long exposure...1/50 sec or a timed shot...not 50 secs...!!

the result is quite bereft...of what i dont know...could be a background awaiting text etc
good luck
cheers
geof

Back