Washing Your Car!

Disagree. I shall be doing mine tomorrow morning whilst getting a suntan and giving the psoriasis a good blast of UV. (y)

Just done mine this evening. Think it'll be too hot for me the next few days to be doing cars.

Well, WOWSERS.

Just washed my car for the first time since putting C5 on the wheels. It had done 5 - 600 motorway miles, been rained and parked in a field for 2 days.

Hosed it off - water off the wheels ran off black. Rubbed them with a wash mitt and some soapy water. Rinsed. They look like I spent an hour with wheel cleaner and a scrubbing brush. Just amazing.

I buy a pressure washer lately. It makes it easy car washing at home. Last year my car was scratched with an old sponge :(

If they're just swirls / slight surface marks - i.e. your finger nail doesn't catch it when ran over, you can polish them out relatively easily.

good for you im going fishing

Now fishing definitely is a waste , much like golf.(y)
Took me less than an hour to do the car, all clean and sealed including all the black trim. Then an afternoon in the sun at an open day at work. Psoriasis suitably beaten into submission.

Now fishing definitely is a waste , much like golf.(y)
Took me less than an hour to do the car, all clean and sealed including all the black trim. Then an afternoon in the sun at an open day at work. Psoriasis suitably beaten into submission.

took me 3 minutes to walk to the pub, sit in the beer garden with my mate laughing and drinking nice cold pints of Guinness, couple of JD and cokes and topped off with a couple of gin and tonics...car is still dirty

took me 3 minutes to walk to the pub, sit in the beer garden with my mate laughing and drinking nice cold pints of Guinness, couple of JD and cokes and topped off with a couple of gin and tonics...car is still dirty

Yeah, I know you think you're being funny and everything, but this is getting dull and spoiling a thread I was actually interested in.

Maybe pop over to the knife collectors thread and suggest that forks are better? Or just grab a can of Special Brew and head off to the park for a nice fight.

The sealant I used yesterday was Autobrite's Hellshine Deep Abyss that I mentioned before, but as a spray and not the gel like paste I have used in the past. Still went on very easy and makes for a very quick job. Not to happy to find a few more stone chips though.

Each to their own.

I can’t think of anything I would rather do less than sit in the sun getting drunk with hordes of other folk.

If I go anywhere on the weekend it’s either first thing in the morning or in the evening to see as few other people as possible.

Yesterday I cleaned half the house, washed and dried both cars by mid day. I then had the afternoon to sit in the garden and enjoy the sun.

If you get up before 10 on the weekend, it’s surprising how much you can get done before lunchtime. Oh, I get up at 5am during the week to commute into London so not like I don’t need to lay in on the weekend either ;)

I enjoy cleaning the cars, making sure they are spotless. Still have plenty of time to
Do other things [emoji1303]

The sealant I used yesterday was Autobrite's Hellshine Deep Abyss that I mentioned before, but as a spray and not the gel like paste I have used in the past. Still went on very easy and makes for a very quick job. Not to happy to find a few more stone chips though.

Every time you mention this I take a look and I'm tempted. Going to be renting a house for the next 6 months or so so looking for something that will give me a lovely low maintenance finish.

But then I look at Gtechniq C2......

Every time you mention this I take a look and I'm tempted. Going to be renting a house for the next 6 months or so so looking for something that will give me a lovely low maintenance finish.

But then I look at Gtechniq C2......

C2V3? I find it a very good detailer that improves the gloss and adds a reasonable level of protection but nothing like the 6 months I think it is that they claim. Some thing like colinite 845 would be my choice for a long term protection, doesn't add masses of gloss but beads for a long time.

When I had the time for it, the car was machine polished twice a year. But it was also regularly waxed. This meant that to wash the car, all it needed was a snowfoam, pressure washer rinse, 2BM wash, rinse and then sheeting. Run a drying towel over the car, buff up the wax with quick detailer and I was done. It meant getting the whole car done in about an hour, including setting up and clearing up.

I gave the car a wash yesterday. Massively clean but I really need the time to give it a thorough decontamination and machine polish. There's no sealant on the wheels so they're still a bit grubby despite using bilberry wheel cleaner and a brush.

I've restocked up on AS Tardis. Just need to get some claybars and fallout remover. I might swap to BH for wheel cleaner. I already use their snowfoam and car shampoo.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know you think you're being funny and everything, but this is getting dull and spoiling a thread I was actually interested in.

Maybe pop over to the knife collectors thread and suggest that forks are better? Or just grab a can of Special Brew and head off to the park for a nice fight.

my mistake thinking it was a forum and i was allowed an opinion that differed to yours...funny old world isnt it, full of surprises, not drank special brew since i was a kid, and as for fighting in the park, well im not sure my health care profession is renowned for our fighting prowess, more for patching up people who have been fighting , im off out again having a laugh with some mates now

I'm planning for Sunday for a good wash, detail and wax

Well spent a great day, cleaned both our cars and did young girls next door for a birthday treats for her.

Extremely impressed with the wheel glaze - virtually no brake dust on wheels prior to cleaning, quick wash with mitt and sparkling again, so as with @JonathanRyan, Wowsers - very happy and looked as good as when I first did them.

Then spent some time waxing it, very pleased with the results, has a lovely finish and gloss / shine to it now. Well worth the sunburn [emoji41]

Last edited:
Just came across this thread, I've got a white VW Transporter and it is always getting black streaks on it from the rubber seals, do you guys have any hints as to a good way of getting rid of them and stopping it happening. I did wax the van and the seals which helped a bit but not much.

My cars get washed twice. Once when I buy them, then again just before I sell them.

Steve.

Just came across this thread, I've got a white VW Transporter and it is always getting black streaks on it from the rubber seals, do you guys have any hints as to a good way of getting rid of them and stopping it happening. I did wax the van and the seals which helped a bit but not much.

Hi Chris

You could try this https://www.autoglym.com/caravan-motor-home-cleaner and then maybe a good polish with SRP and maybe then a wax on top - don't think you'll stop the streaks, but this process should make it easier to clean and remove in future...

Halfords also sell it... http://www.halfords.com/camping-lei...utoglym-caravan-and-motorhome-cleaner-1-litre

I think Im getting a bit OCD, Ive bought a trolley jack so I can jack the wheel up when cleaning to make it easier to rotate it 180 and check Ive not missed any bits. Prior to that Id have to reverse the car up a bit to get the wheels in the 180 position. :oops: :$

I think Im getting a bit OCD, Ive bought a trolley jack so I can jack the wheel up when cleaning to make it easier to rotate it 180 and check Ive not missed any bits. Prior to that Id have to reverse the car up a bit to get the wheels in the 180 position. :oops: :$

Keith, I'd seriously recommend the wheel glaze, adds a lovely finish to the wheels, but makes it so much easier to clean.

Hi Chris

You could try this https://www.autoglym.com/caravan-motor-home-cleaner and then maybe a good polish with SRP and maybe then a wax on top - don't think you'll stop the streaks, but this process should make it easier to clean and remove in future...

Halfords also sell it... http://www.halfords.com/camping-lei...utoglym-caravan-and-motorhome-cleaner-1-litre
Thanks Andy, I had done a bit of googling but that didn't turn up in the results. I'll give it a go.

Keith, I'd seriously recommend the wheel glaze, adds a lovely finish to the wheels, but makes it so much easier to clean.
Am using FK1000p Andy. Pretty good stuff. Which wheel glaze do you use? Poorboys?

Thanks Andy, I had done a bit of googling but that didn't turn up in the results. I'll give it a go.

Seems good and if you read the description on Autoglym site, seems to be specifically what you're looking for.

Hope it works - let us know :)

I'm in the process of trying to find a good quality brush that won't scratch, but is thin enough to get between the brakes and the wheel - especially the calliper as not a great deal of room...

TBH, the easiest way to do the wheels is to take them off the car. Do one at a time if you have to (ie no axle stands or spare wheels). You can thoroughly clean the alloys back and front and add adequate protection. With the right sort of sealant, you really only need to do this twice a year. I used to do mine when I polished the car twice a year too. It makes maintaining the clean look a lot easier.

Am using FK1000p Andy. Pretty good stuff. Which wheel glaze do you use? Poorboys?
Love FK1000P and it's more durable IMO than PB (which tastes smells great, has the texture of mousse and is easy to apply and remove).

I'm in the process of trying to find a good quality brush that won't scratch, but is thin enough to get between the brakes and the wheel - especially the calliper as not a great deal of room...
My EZ Detail brush fits in though it is tight. You could also looks at wheel woolies wheel brush.

My EZ Detail brush fits in though it is tight. You could also looks at wheel woolies wheel brush.

Cheers, had seen the EZ detail brush and wondered what the texture of the 'bristles' were like.

Yes, has seen / read about the wheel woolies, but on the expensive side - as I don't need the large version, I'll see what size / cost the medium version is...

TBH, the easiest way to do the wheels is to take them off the car. Do one at a time if you have to (ie no axle stands or spare wheels). You can thoroughly clean the alloys back and front and add adequate protection. With the right sort of sealant, you really only need to do this twice a year. I used to do mine when I polished the car twice a year too. It makes maintaining the clean look a lot easier.
Yes I will also use the jack for that. Too friggin hot at the moment for any car cleaning malarkey though.

While we're here, has anyone in here bought/used a dual action polisher?

Cheers, had seen the EZ detail brush and wondered what the texture of the 'bristles' were like.
Plasticky stiff I guess? Softer than toothbrush bristles and outdoor broom bristles. Stiffer than indoor broom brushes (if that makes any sense).

Yes, has seen / read about the wheel woolies, but on the expensive side - as I don't need the large version, I'll see what size / cost the medium version is...
I bought the triple set with all three sizes.

While we're here, has anyone in here bought/used a dual action polisher?
I've used my DA polisher. I bought it about 2009/2010 - Megs G220 DA polisher. I bought it with 3M pads at the time but I prefer the Chemical Guys Hex-Logic ones which I use now. I also use a sample set of polishes (Menzerna) - has lasted me a few years. This guide was invaluable >clicky<. I've also used the Megs DA microfibre polishing kit with it on my Golf to very good effect.

Plasticky stiff I guess? Softer than toothbrush bristles and outdoor broom bristles. Stiffer than indoor broom brushes (if that makes any sense).

Thats good information, thanks - will have a look and see if anyone near has one in so I can 'look' at one - do you have the small or large version ?

I bought the triple set with all three sizes.

Did look at this, but don't think I'd use the large version - could you measure the size of the medium brush for me when you get 5 mins ?

I've used my DA polisher. I bought it about 2009/2010 - Megs G220 DA polisher. I bought it with 3M pads at the time but I prefer the Chemical Guys Hex-Logic ones which I use now. I also use a sample set of polishes (Menzerna) - has lasted me a few years. This guide was invaluable >clicky<. I've also used the Megs DA microfibre polishing kit with it on my Golf to very good effect.

Good guide reference there.

I watched the Junkman2000 videos which are very long but worth while.

What's good for cleaning off baked on cow dung? I now work at Motorsport Tools, and to get there involves a rally stage through a field of cows, with obvious consequences for the paintwork.

What's good for cleaning off baked on cow dung? I now work at Motorsport Tools, and to get there involves a rally stage through a field of cows, with obvious consequences for the paintwork.

A good pre wash (which you can apply with a sprayer - garden pump sprayer type will be great - this is what I generally use) or snow foam and allow to soak in, then pressure wash it off, then wash as normal and hopefully no issues with the paint - like bird poop can do.

If you can, I'd be tempted to try to wash it off as soon as you can following it being splattered on the car...

Very jealous of you getting to get up close and personal with the rally cars - not of the cow dung though [emoji16]

Last edited:
Back