Washing Your Car!

Wow - that's really cheap :) Thanks. I probably don't need something as powerful as auto wheel as the nano coating is actually holding up well. Sometimes I just use soapy water.

Yes I’d agree and I find the PM stuff doesn’t degrade my sealant either :)

I gave the car a quick clean up at the weekend. It really does need a thorough decontamination and polish. As it stands, I used BH auto wheels on the wheels, snowfoam and 2BM wash and towel dried the car. There's no LSP (wax or sealant) since the last time I applied any was in 2014. I used Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer and quite liked the sheen it gave the paintwork.

I used Megs Endurance tyre gel for the wheels. I used Tyromania last time which looked and acted more like boot polish and gave a matt finish. The tyres looked new and clean but not particularly special so I've gone back to a shiny finish. I also used AG fast glass for the windows.

The black plastic and rubber trim areas looks a bit sorry as they would for a 10 year old car. I recently bought some Gyeon Q2 trim which is supposed to refresh the trims and provide up to 9 months protection. Fairly easy to apply and actually made the plastic and rubber look fresh and new. I applied a bit too much to the suede cloth so the first areas had too much and needed buffing a little later but I'm very impressed so far. Less greasy than what I normally use. Longevity will be the important issue now.

Last edited:
I used Megs Endurance tyre gel for the wheels. I used Tyromania last time which looked and acted more like boot polish and gave a matt finish. The tyres looked new and clean but not particularly special so I've gone back to a shiny finish.
I am not a fan of shiny tyres, reminds me of ropey 2nd hand car dealers desperate to move on crap cars. I prefer the clean, new look. Armorall tyre foam is great for that. Just spray some in the lid and use a brush to apply it, makes the can last longer. It will also return all your black trim back to black.

I am not a fan of shiny tyres, reminds me of ropey 2nd hand car dealers desperate to move on crap cars. I prefer the clean, new look. Armorall tyre foam is great for that. Just spray some in the lid and use a brush to apply it, makes the can last longer. It will also return all your black trim back to black.
I've preferred the glossy look over the matt look. What I'd really like is a satin type finish - a little more sheen than matt but not the wet look of glossy tyre gel. I found general black trim cleaners or dressing products to last no more than a few weeks, especially in wet weather.

I've preferred the glossy look over the matt look. What I'd really like is a satin type finish - a little more sheen than matt but not the wet look of glossy tyre gel. I found general black trim cleaners or dressing products to last no more than a few weeks, especially in wet weather.

If you apply a little of the Megs and work it in, I tend to find the gloss isn’t as much - more of a sheen than a gloss (if that makes sense) and no issues with any sling.

Have read if you leave it for 10-15 mins and wipe off the excess, you can get a more satin finish...

I apply about a 50p size blob to a cut sponge, then dab / smear at 12 / 3 / 6 / 9 o’clock position on tyre and then work it in, as you start to use up what was on the sponge, you get to the next position and pick it up again :)

I gave the car a quick clean up at the weekend. It really does need a thorough decontamination and polish. As it stands, I used BH auto wheels on the wheels, snowfoam and 2BM wash and towel dried the car. There's no LSP (wax or sealant) since the last time I applied any was in 2014. I used Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer and quite liked the sheen it gave the paintwork.

I used Megs Endurance tyre gel for the wheels. I used Tyromania last time which looked and acted more like boot polish and gave a matt finish. The tyres looked new and clean but not particularly special so I've gone back to a shiny finish. I also used AG fast glass for the windows.

The black plastic and rubber trim areas looks a bit sorry as they would for a 10 year old car. I recently bought some Gyeon Q2 trim which is supposed to refresh the trims and provide up to 9 months protection. Fairly easy to apply and actually made the plastic and rubber look fresh and new. I applied a bit too much to the suede cloth so the first areas had too much and needed buffing a little later but I'm very impressed so far. Less greasy than what I normally use. Longevity will be the important issue now.

Not used Gyeon stuff, might get some to try on wife’s rubber seal as they squeak a bit. :)

With regards to drying the car, my current favourites a 50 / 50 mix of Autoglym Aqua wax and Sonax BSD - very easy to apply as a drying aid and gives some protection and a lovely finish :)

If you apply a little of the Megs and work it in, I tend to find the gloss isn’t as much - more of a sheen than a gloss (if that makes sense) and no issues with any sling.

Have read if you leave it for 10-15 mins and wipe off the excess, you can get a more satin finish...

I apply about a 50p size blob to a cut sponge, then dab / smear at 12 / 3 / 6 / 9 o’clock position on tyre and then work it in, as you start to use up what was on the sponge, you get to the next position and pick it up again :)
I use a brush to apply it. I found a sponge wouldn't get into the crevices in the tyre walls. I normally try to wipe down to avoid sling. Maybe I need to buff it down some more as it's still very shiny.

Not used Gyeon stuff, might get some to try on wife’s rubber seal as they squeak a bit. :)

With regards to drying the car, my current favourites a 50 / 50 mix of Autoglym Aqua wax and Sonax BSD - very easy to apply as a drying aid and gives some protection and a lovely finish :)
I bought FK425 and BSD as I wanted to try some new QD. I'd bought a 5 gallon bottle of Megs LT of which I've used half over the last five years. I wasn't massively impressed by AF Finale - it would provide a clean surface but impart little in the way of gloss or shine. I tried FK425 on my wife's car but it's got a ceramic coating so didn't really look good - if anything, it felt like a greasy smear.

I bought FK425 and BSD as I wanted to try some new QD. I'd bought a 5 gallon bottle of Megs LT of which I've used half over the last five years. I wasn't massively impressed by AF Finale - it would provide a clean surface but impart little in the way of gloss or shine. I tried FK425 on my wife's car but it's got a ceramic coating so didn't really look good - if anything, it felt like a greasy smear.

Hmm good to know - how do you find Megs last touch ? Was looking at some the other week, but couldn’t decide ...

Meh. It's okay. Detailing products have come a long way since then IMO. Last touch was my drying aid for a long time. It's better than some of the stuff I've bought in the past (eg Poorboys). I really need to apply an LSP to the car and try out FK425 and BSD properly to give a fair comparison.

It rained loads last night and this morning. When I set off this morning, all of the rain water sheeted off. I haven't seen action like that since I used to use waxes. All this from Sonax BSD.

2 stage clean and polish, first stage wash decon and clay yesterday afternoon then under carport till this morning. Quick wash again then out with DA. Several hours later then finished with fk1000p then a quick wipe over with Meguires Ultimate QD. She has had a hard life before me with stone chips, deep scratches and 50 shades of grey but she looks and feels alot better no.

MX5 Polish 01 by Scott, on Flickr

MX5 Polish 02 by Scott, on Flickr

MX5 Polish 04 by Scott, on Flickr

MX5 Polish 05 by Scott, on Flickr

MX5 Polish 06 by Scott, on Flickr

Looking good. My car's a similar vintage and it's hard keeping it pristine. It doesn't help that since I've been married, I've had next to no time for the car. I really want to give it a run over with my DA.

With FK1000P, I found that, after buffing off, if I buffed again with a microfibre and cold water, it would enhance the shine of the finish.

How do you "do" this? Ive tried BSD on a dry car and got marks where it didnt wipe away properly. Using aqua wax on a wet car, once Ive spread the wax the car is still "wet" so I cant buff off as it were, which it says to do on the label.
I need an idiot proof way of applying one or the other. Or both - mixed!

Ta.

How do you "do" this? Ive tried BSD on a dry car and got marks where it didnt wipe away properly. Using aqua wax on a wet car, once Ive spread the wax the car is still "wet" so I cant buff off as it were, which it says to do on the label.
I need an idiot proof way of applying one or the other. Or both - mixed!

Ta.

Hi mate - make a 50 / 50 mix of Aqua wax and BSD in a bottle. Spray onto wet car, wipe over with cloth / drying towel which spreads it about and starts to dry car. Then go over the panel again if required and buff up.

If you find a section / panel is drying out before you’ve managed to get at it first time - going over this area with your damp drying towel spreads the product out and you can then buff.

I find doing it this way, it’s much easier for applying the BSD without any of the grabbiness you can get.

Also, don’t over apply the product as it can then be a pain to remove it all. If you do find you get a bit of smearing afterwards as you might have over applied, either try to buff up again with another cloth - if no help, go over with your damp drying towel :)

Hope it helps mate, let me know if any more info required :)

It's not something I do but I've seen many who suggest misting the drying towel with the product then wiping over.

I saw Autoglym aqua wax, so bought a bottle because it seems to go well with my laziness. Allowing me to do:
1. snow foam the car with pressure washer
2. quick go over with sponge and a rinse bucket to remove harder dirt, more snow foam if needed
3. pressure wash the foam away
4. while still wet, spray the aqua wax and give it a quick wipe
5. dry the car using a different cloth
Done my Nissan Leaf within an hour, including connecting and packing away the pressure washer. Perfect.

Only downside I suspect is this wax won't last, so I'll need to re-apply every 2 months. So apart from needing to buy a pair of gloves, this method of washing seems well suited to me. :D

I saw Autoglym aqua wax...

Only downside I suspect is this wax won't last, so I'll need to re-apply every 2 months. So apart from needing to buy a pair of gloves, this method of washing seems well suited to me. :D

Yes, not a long lasting, more of a top up wax, but easy to use and if you use it after each wash, keeps your wax topped up :)

It rained loads last night and this morning. When I set off this morning, all of the rain water sheeted off. I haven't seen action like that since I used to use waxes. All this from Sonax BSD.
Well the sheeting and beading have gone. It’s been three weeks which IMO is pretty good performance.

Aqua wax won't last 2 weeks never mind 2 months! I've gone back to FK Pink Wax, I haven't applied any for at least 3 months but the car is still beading better and looking glossier than Aqua wax after a week.

I saw Autoglym aqua wax, so bought a bottle because it seems to go well with my laziness. Allowing me to do:
1. snow foam the car with pressure washer
2. quick go over with sponge and a rinse bucket to remove harder dirt, more snow foam if needed
3. pressure wash the foam away
4. while still wet, spray the aqua wax and give it a quick wipe
5. dry the car using a different cloth
Done my Nissan Leaf within an hour, including connecting and packing away the pressure washer. Perfect.

Got a liquid Carbanuba wax from Autobrite. The wax is yellow. My fingers are now yellow. :)

What's it like to use / finish you've got ?
Very easy to apply and buffs up easily. Not powdery like some liquid waxes. Lovely shine too. Hoping for a bit of condensation to have formed on car to see how it rolls off.

I've had the luxury of a garage for a year or so but now that winter is nearly here, my car will have to go on the drive :(

Any suggestions for a winter wax that I can apply without any fancy tools that will help it survive? FWIW my drive will be about 400 metres from the sea so there will be salty air and seagulls.....

I was recommended fk1000p several years ago, it's a hard sealant that is easy to apply and buff off and can also be used on wheels. I haven't had the itch to try anything else. When winter arrives I use purity x as a top up applied through a snow foam lance.

I've had the luxury of a garage for a year or so but now that winter is nearly here, my car will have to go on the drive :(

Any suggestions for a winter wax that I can apply without any fancy tools that will help it survive? FWIW my drive will be about 400 metres from the sea so there will be salty air and seagulls.....

Autoglym new UHD wax is very nice to use and last well and gives a lovely finish and then topped up with their Aqua wax as a drying aid each time you wash, nicely maintains it...

Bolt Hamber DSW is good and easy to use - I’ve had mixed results with it, did get a bit of blooming on a dark coloured car, which required another buffing off a few times - presume it was the warm weather as had no issues in the cooler weather...

Recently used G3 supergloss wax - so easy to use, must be the easiest wax I’ve used, really pleasantly surprised. Gave a lovely gloss finish and easily available and not expensive :)

I have used FK1000P and Collinite 476s over the winter periods in the past. Both lasted in the 4-6 month range. Living close to the sea air, I'd be worried about corrosion from underneath. You can get a product (and the name escapes me) that you apply to the undercarriage and it'd protect the car from both sea air and salt grit.

Very easy to apply and buffs up easily. Not powdery like some liquid waxes. Lovely shine too. Hoping for a bit of condensation to have formed on car to see how it rolls off.
After a couple of nights of dew, car is still very shiny, if only there was a cure for the dust that keeps settling on the car though.
As for my yellow fingers, the yellow has now gone. It maybe my imagination but I am sure my skin now feels softer and smoother. :)

Used to use Greased Lightning Showroom Shine Waterless Wash and Wax, then bought a 7k car and bought the proper stuff

1. Rinse car
2. Use wash mitt starting with:
  • Roof
  • Windows/mirrors (basically top half of car down to passenger windows)
  • Bonnet
  • All of back of car
  • Front of car
  • Take most crap off wipers until clean
  • Bottom half of car including inside door
  • Wheels
3. Rinse car
4a. Use Clay bar if necessary
4b. Rinse car
5. Dry car
6. Polish (I don't do this every time)
7. Wax
8. Clean inside car (If I can be bothered)
9. Might as well check fluids for car at this stage and tyre pressure

Megiuars Wash Mitt (Not this one, but similar)
Megiuars Gold Class Shampoo
Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0 Paste
Meguiars Clar bar
Hose pipe
1 bucket

Last edited:
Sounds good - is the hard wax the same as the liquid?
In my experience the hard waxes seem to outlast the liquid but not by many washes, either are easy to apply though, the 2 coat (476? Possibly) is said to be the longest lived applied as name implies in 2 thin coats, I mostly use marque de elegance (915?)

Now also apply a coat of meguiars fast finish after the collinite and still shining and beading well after 3 months of weekly washes.
Hth.

Back