Wasp - Cerceris clypeata

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, Well ive been out again haha and better weather than yesterday, just a light breeze today but cooler.
I seem to find some type of Wasps on this little green plant.
Im very happy with this photo in terms of focus, colour and composition.
Cant get better than this, can you?
View attachment 37890
Thanks for looking and more on my Flickr

That's a very nice shot Graham.(y)

George.

Great wasp Graham - detail in the body is super.

Paul.
Thanks very much Paulo, not like me to get that much detail in a shot is it :D

Very nice Graham ... I think you can still do better... (y)

Last edited:
Lovely shot Graham, like that a lot.
Very nice Graham ... I think you can still do better... (y)
Very nice indeed Graham. I'd be very pleased with that!
Nice image graham - nice detail and colours in the eyes.
Cheers very much Neil, Tim, Bryn and Chris, it's amazing what nature throws at you, at 1st I thought it was a bee so a big surprise for me when I found it was a wasp. I can't wait to get out there again, oh wait, that's un about 45 mins :D

That's pretty cool! Btw it's a Nomada Bee not a wasp the eyes are a give away. Nice find, they are rare as hens teeth around here.

Well, it's certainly better than some of that Cricket guff you've posted lately. o_O At least it's in focus and not over cropped.

That's pretty cool! Btw it's a Nomada Bee not a wasp the eyes are a give away. Nice find, they are rare as hens teeth around here.
Hi and thanks for your comment. Could you explain to me why its "in the eyes" as I have looked at many photos and found very similar ones to my photo that are wasps.
Thanks.

Well, it's certainly better than some of that Cricket guff you've posted lately. o_O At least it's in focus and not over cropped.
Cheers Brian, I take it you don't like crickets then..:cool:

That's what I though first but that is not a defining factor unfortunately... There is very few differences can't find the thread but @TimmyG did describe some differences but mainly behaviour not by physical features.

My bad! Off to write a hundred lines - I must do proper research before posting. ;)

Yeah, I've some further reading and still can't find a definitive answer. The main difference is bees are pollinators and wasps are predators. I hadn't heard that the eye could be used to tell them apart but that might well be the case.

Graham, what was this insect doing when you saw it? Can you recall if it was moving between flowers? If so that would probably confirm it's a bee rather than wasp.

Difficult to tell from this photo, but it could well be a pollinator, so I'd go along with @RJL2005 's suggestion. Have to remember the eye being an indicator. I have seen some hornets with similar patterned eyes, but maybe it's a good way to indicate it's not a wasp. Incidentally, the definition of a wasp is any of the Hymenoptera that isn't a bee or an ant, so that's not very specific selection criteria!

Graham
Post it in some bee and wasp groups on Flickr and getagg it then comment ID wanted and someone will ID it for you I am sure.

Beautiful little wasp Graham
cant help with the ID but its a great shot

Thanks all and i`ll call it a wasbee for now.... lol :D
Not some of your best I'm afraid.
Well I missed the gob but that is nature for you, cant have everything :whistle:

Just been confirmed via a FB bees, wasps and ants group that this wasp is a wasp :)

Back