Critique Wasp (first attempt)

Edit My Images
Yes
This is from my first ever batch of photos where I was having a go at close up photography. I used (what I think is) a bog standard 18-55mm Nikor lens that came with the camera (D5100). Pretty sure the camera was in 'Macro' setting. I haven't done anything to the image other than resize it for uploading purposes. Wish I knew how to shoot in RAW, as I'd like to see it in colour but with a black n white background.

Tbf, I am quite chuffed with it, but I think I could have gotten more of the flower a little bit sharper (particularly the one in the foreground just above the wasp and in the bottom left) if I knew what I was doing. Could I have achieved that without losing the sharpness off the wasp? And, if I had shot it in RAW would I be able to footer around with the image to achieve that?
Also, I'm not sure if the background greenery to the right hand side should be sharp as well, or if it should be more blurry (I reckon it's sort of neither this or that tbh).

A specific lens is maybe a stretch at the moment as I added a 50-200mm lens the other day there, but suggestions for one are certainly welcome. As I'm new to this the cheaper end of the scale would be preferable. :)

Any advice, opinions, criticism is greatly appreciated, thanks.

DSC_0139 - Copy.JPG

Hi CJ.

I'm relatively new to this type of photography to happy to learn with you!

You could look at Raynox or Kenko extensions tubes to turn your existing lenses into more of a 'Macro' lens, and it may be cheaper than a new lens. Or you could look at older manual focus lenses (lots of people manual focus though I use AF more myself).

In terms of shooting RAW, that should be easy to do. If you look at your camera manual, you should be able to find the settings where you select the file size you take (it will be something like small, medium large) and you should also have a setting for shooting RAW + Jpeg. This means you will get both the JPEG that you get now, and the RAW image if you wanted to do more detailed editing, amend the whitebalance etc.

Good luck and nice shot, and remember patience is the key!

Al

One thing I forgot to add is that chasing these things around can drive you crazy - I sometimes notice there are some flowers more attractive than others and you can focus on that and wait for something to arrive. Bees and bumblebees I find easier than hoverflies. If you use manual focus try the rock forwards and back to get things in focus instead of changing the focus if that makes sense. Try practicing on flowers to see how the depth of field changes etc also.

Hoverfly? Doh! lol

@akr Would I be correct to assume that extension tubes would screw/or clip onto the end of my lens? Figured out how to get the RAW setting now. Will it still shoot in RAW if I adjust the mode selector to auto or portrait etc? I was moving in and out for focus with earlier shots, but with this one, as I was using the viewfinder and balanced on one leg.......well, it could have ended in disaster I reckon. :)

@Paul Iddon I take it I really need the proper lens (or extension tubes) for close up then? That was as close as I could get (balanced on one leg with a rucksack on one one shoulder as ballast ! lol ). It is a touch soft now I look at it, would you say that is due to the quality of the lens, or more down to my inexperience?

Appreciate the replies, thanks.

Hoverfly? Doh! lol

@akr Would I be correct to assume that extension tubes would screw/or clip onto the end of my lens? Figured out how to get the RAW setting now. Will it still shoot in RAW if I adjust the mode selector to auto or portrait etc? I was moving in and out for focus with earlier shots, but with this one, as I was using the viewfinder and balanced on one leg.......well, it could have ended in disaster I reckon. :)

@Paul Iddon I take it I really need the proper lens (or extension tubes) for close up then? That was as close as I could get (balanced on one leg with a rucksack on one one shoulder as ballast ! lol ). It is a touch soft now I look at it, would you say that is due to the quality of the lens, or more down to my inexperience?

Appreciate the replies, thanks.

Macro lenses are by definition sharp because of what they need to achieve, so a dedicated one will make things much much better. Tubes will work, but watch out for loss of light and loss of auto-focus if you take that route.

Back