Wasp in Flight

+1 , now you need to get rid of the wasps nest asap :eek: :LOL:

That's a peach of a shot, its so clear!
Two things I would do though:

1) As above crop out the half to the right of the frame (easy done PP)
2) Change the shutter speed slightly so it doesn't look so motionless (so away and do it again LOL)

Joking aside, great work.

It's already taken a bit of a crop but I'll play around with a bit tighter. (y)

Re shutter speed - For a shot like this, shutter speed basically doesn't play any part in freezing motion - it's all done by flash. Shutter speed for that particular shot was only 1/100 - no where near fast enough to actually freeze a something as quick as a wasp in flight. Unfortunately that does mean, at least with my limited equipment (an maybe technical knowledge) there's not a lot I can do to get motion blur in the wings without the whole insect blurring.

Edit: Paul - the nest has been there all summer, just haven't got round to doing anything about it. I've kept looking at the constant stream of wasps coming and going to it and wondering if I dared get close enough to try and get some shots. Finally decided to risk it. Lying probably less than a metre away from a very active wasps nest is quite an experience :LOL:

Last edited:
Love the second one It's almost as though you are another wasp following

great shots - just got one of those lenses - nothing as good as that though :)

Awesome!
What flash setup did you use?

Thanks all :)

Tom - I used a single Yong-nuo 465 Speedlite off camera (via a TTL cord) just to the right of the nest opening (all the wasps enter and leave to the left so I wanted to leave that clear!) set manually and shot through a Lumiquest mini-softbox.

The second one is my favourite of the two. Can almost hear air traffic control giving him clearance.

Back