Critique Waspish

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Still sorting through some from Spain. I only got the opportunity to go bug hunting in the UK a couple of nights ago, but didn't have much luck. Still at least I have some more from my recent trip to process and keep me occupied. Here are a couple of wasps:

Ichneumon Wasp by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Apologies if you have seen this one before. I posted it in the ID thread yesterday, but posting it here as it kind of sits alongside this one and shows off some more of the diversity of wasps:

Chalcid Wasp by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

And just because I can, here is a third wasp (also ichneumonidae) that I took last year in my back garden. I like the dynamic pose on this one :)

269/365/2013 - Campopleginae by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

And here's a nice quote around this family of wasps from the great man himself:

"I own that I cannot see as plainly as others do, and as I should wish to do, evidence of design and beneficence on all sides of us. There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars, or that a cat should play with mice."

Last edited:
Agree they are stunning especially the last one that's a perfect pose
The quote is great too it must be Darwin? I should know really evolution is one of my favourite subjects

No1, Loverly pic, seen something like it in the UK .
No2 Never seen a wasp or so like this, great pic .
No3 Great pose and well taken.
Cant really fault these pics, all great and the clarity is superb (y)

Love ichneumon wasps but I wish they would stay still sometime lol excellent set as always Tim.

Fabulous!

Love the pose of that last one.

They are fascinating critters. I'm always happy to find one.

I'm going against the crowd they are all cr@p!! lol :eek:

Only joking amazing as ever you put critique down but it so damn hard to critique as they are amazing profile shots.

Ok I'm gonna give it a go...

All would flip them horizontally and #1/3 maybe make them go up hill rather than down. Reason say this western world tend to read left to right so would flow through pictures more... lead you to the focus on the eyes.

Thanks Simon, Brian!

All would flip them horizontally and #1/3 maybe make them go up hill rather than down. Reason say this western world tend to read left to right so would flow through pictures more... lead you to the focus on the eyes.

Ha ha, I'm surprised you didn't recommend adding a border! Where's Les when I need backup ;)

I agree I would have preferred the first to be facing uphill, but I think the 3rd works quite well with that specific pose. As for right-to-left/left-to-right, I'm trying to appeal to a global audience!

Ha ha, I'm surprised you didn't recommend adding a border! Where's Les when I need backup ;)

Lol, @Lez325 as backup? You know what critique your going to get from him now don't you!!!

Luckily for you he's on holiday.

:beer::beer:

Last edited:
Back