Critique Wasps around a jam pot

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
The wasps were a real nuisance when we were having lunch al fresco on holiday in Cornwall last week, but I thought I may as well take advantage of the situation and after finishing my pasty, got my camera out.

The jam is from my OH's cream tea.

#3, #3, #3, #3, #3, #3… for me, please! :cool:

Bery nice set of images Sir, with some fine detail.(y)

George.

Super set :clap::clap::clap::clap: #3 the best but I like #2 for the one in flight.

I think these are great, second one is my (just) favourite. Only critique I would give is the label in the first shot is too distracting. Would have been better just showing the main colour label rather than the white info one. However, these are quality shots of a much maligned creature.

the second and thrid are my faves.

I think these are great, second one is my (just) favourite. Only critique I would give is the label in the first shot is too distracting. Would have been better just showing the main colour label rather than the white info one. However, these are quality shots of a much maligned creature.

Yes I actually turned the label towards me for the closer shots (although it ended up being outside the image), then moved onto an adjacent bench to take some wider shots, one of which I've used, but I didn't think to turn it round again. :facepalm:

Somewhat OT but I don't think I've seen any wasps here in Yorkshire recently and very few all summer. I'm doing the bigwaspsurvey.org and haven't caught any yet!

Somewhat OT but I don't think I've seen any wasps here in Yorkshire recently and very few all summer. I'm doing the bigwaspsurvey.org and haven't caught any yet!

There don't seem to be as many around as there used to be. They were plentiful in this particular location (the outside dining area at National Trust Trelissick, Cornwall), but I've barely seen any others all summer. Same last summer, and recent years for that matter, it seems to be very rare to come across a wasp these days.
We've all heard reports about a decline in the bee population, but I haven't heard any similar about wasps.

Last edited:
There don't seem to be as many around as there used to be. They were plentiful in this particular location (the outside dining area at National Trust Trelissick, Cornwall), but I've barely seen any others all summer. Same last summer, and recent years for that matter, it seems to be very rare to come across a wasp these days.
We've all heard reports about a decline in the bee population, but I haven't heard any similar about wasps.
It's possibly one of the reasons they are doing the survey. One can imagine that if pesticides are not killing pests quickly then the wasps may be getting poisoned indirectly.

It's possibly one of the reasons they are doing the survey. One can imagine that if pesticides are not killing pests quickly then the wasps may be getting poisoned indirectly.

That sounds likely. I hadn't even heard about the survey. I'll get on it.

That sounds likely. I hadn't even heard about the survey. I'll get on it.
Unfortunately the survey is closed I think because it is supposed to run for a week and end on 10th but if you can register and get a number they may be extending it. I think they wanted 2000 people and I was late entering and number 1700 or so they may be short.

That's a very nice set of images. I particularly like in-flight one and the one after that.

I've been getting a bit downhearted about how little I've seen this year, even less than last year which itself was rather poor. Not just wasps - invertebrates in general. Fewer species to be seen, and fewer in numbers of the ones I do see.

That's a very nice set of images. I particularly like in-flight one and the one after that.

I've been getting a bit downhearted about how little I've seen this year, even less than last year which itself was rather poor. Not just wasps - invertebrates in general. Fewer species to be seen, and fewer in numbers of the ones I do see.
Mozzies seem to be doing well here :-( though they have just quietened down. My terriers had a mite infestation so there's plenty of them about :-( .but generally I agree, especially fewer bees and wasps here.

Mozzies seem to be doing well here :-( though they have just quietened down. My terriers had a mite infestation so there's plenty of them about :-( .but generally I agree, especially fewer bees and wasps here.

I was going to Like your post Richard, but somehow liking it didn't seem quite appropriate. So I'll say it instead - thanks for the response. At least I'm not alone in not finding so much.

I was going to Like your post Richard, but somehow liking it didn't seem quite appropriate. So I'll say it instead - thanks for the response. At least I'm not alone in not finding so much.
Thanks. I do think it's a bit odd. It wasn't a very hard winter here (Yorkshire) and quite a decent summer and not too dry so we should have been teeming with arthropods. No shortage of slugs and worms despite the attentions of my ducks.

Back