Wasps in flight

It might be just the thing, but there are downsides to small sensors, and alternatives to the FZ330 like the 1" sensor FZ1000 and Sony RX10iv, bigger, much more expensive but with the RX10iv the same amount of zoom as the FZ330 and better image quality (brilliant lens apparently, but mind you the FZ330 Leica lens is no slouch). And on the other hand there are tiny marvels like the various travel cameras. Very small and light, loads of zoom (24-720mm equivalent for my Panasonic TZ90) and quite surprising what you can get out of them, especially (IMO, but this is disputed) if you shoot raw and post process (same, IMO, and equally disputed, for the FZ330).

But I expect you have been looking into all the alternatives. and perhaps this isn't the place to discuss it. Not that I mind you understand, it's just that somewhere like the (very friendly) dpreview Panasonic Compact Camera Talk forum has a lot of people experience with small sensor cameras, and very open about both their benefits and their shortcomings, and the alternatives, both from Panasonic and other manufacturers.

Still undecided and the sensor size is not a problem for me as my images are only for the web, i like the post focus and burst modes on the FZ as i'm trying to shoot insects in flight, i'm sure their are more options from other makes but for the price this one seems like a winner.. still reading reviews. Thx Nick.

I used Fast Picture Viewer to go through the raw files and mark up those I wanted to include in an initial long list. This can be done very fast as Fast Picture Viewer uses the embedded JPEGs rather than the raw files.

....Is 'Fast Picture Viewer' different from 'FastRawViewer' FRV (which is what I use)? : https://www.fastrawviewer.com I use a Mac not Windows machines.

FRV does have some irritating limitations and its Preferences are over complicated to set up, but otherwise I use it as a first stage culling.

You are much, much too modest Robin. Fabulous birds and dragonflies. The tonality and clarity of the 1D shots seem especially wonderful to me.

....Very high praise indeed coming from you!

Yes, the 1DX-2 is my go-to camera and I hardly ever use my 7D-2 nowadays. But then the 1DX is Canon's D-SLR flagship and should be as good as it is.

I have a Canon mirrorless EOS M5 living semi-permanently on a Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro, usually with a Kenko 1.4x, and the combo snugly fits a Lowepro lens-changing bag across my chest. This offers me 'quick draw' close-ups after initially bagging shots on my 100-400mm L II which focusses down to just over 3ft. Sharp as the 100-400mm is, the 100mm Macro has the edge.

The M5 uses a dual-pixel APSC crop sensor updated from the 7D-2 and 80D sensors and so its image quality is very good for my purposes. I only ever shoot RAW. It also has a very useful flip screen but unfortunately only moving in one plane, not fully articulated. Manual focussing with visible coloured 'fringing' is a brilliant WYSIWYG in focus feature for close-ups/macro.

I now use a Flexline Pro 'double-ballhead' with integrated levelling ball which is absolutely rock solid, even with a 500mm prime mounted!

Yes, your posts are lengthy but are rich in very useful and helpful information. Carry on being you!

Best from Robin

Last edited:
....Is 'Fast Picture Viewer' different from 'FastRawViewer' FRV (which is what I use)? : https://www.fastrawviewer.com

It is different (link). It uses the JPEG images that are embedded in raw files, which makes it very fast. It is extremely simple to use and I don't recall doing anything by way of setup for it. I just looked - it does have a fair number of options, but I don't think I've altered any of them (or even perhaps looked at them before).

....Very high praise indeed coming from you!

Your images speak for themselves. They shine.

Yes, the 1DX-2 is my go-to camera and I hardly ever use my 7D-2 nowadays. But then the 1DX is Canon's D-SLR flagship and should be as good as it is.

I have a Canon mirrorless EOS M5 living semi-permanently on a Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro, usually with a Kenko 1.4x, and the combo snugly fits a Lowepro lens-changing bag across my chest. This offers me 'quick draw' close-ups after initially bagging shots on my 100-400mm L II which focusses down to just over 3ft. Sharp as the 100-400mm is, the 100mm Macro has the edge.

The M5 uses a dual-pixel APSC crop sensor updated from the 7D-2 and 80D sensors and so its image quality is very good for my purposes. I only ever shoot RAW. It also has a very useful flip screen but unfortunately only moving in one plane, not fully articulated. Manual focussing with visible coloured 'fringing' is a brilliant WYSIWYG in focus feature for close-ups/macro.

I now use a Flexline Pro 'double-ballhead' with integrated levelling ball which is absolutely rock solid, even with a 500mm prime mounted!

All round, tasty kit. And it's in competent hands.

Yes, your posts are lengthy but are rich in very useful and helpful information. Carry on being you!

Best from Robin

Thanks Robin. I will carry on - I don't know any other way to be. :)

Post processing

First I loaded the raw files on to my PC using Faststone Image Viewer. Using Windows Explorer I backed them up to a separate hard drive (which is only connected when receiving files, otherwise disconnected as a safeguard against lightning strikes).
That is not a great back up strategy as it is vulnerable to water damage etc.

Thanks for the link Richard. btw I think my models are being very cooperative! Mind you, I did think they looked a bit on the small side. Knowing nothing about wasp species I just assumed it was a smaller species than I've seen before. But perhaps they are what I've seen before but smaller for some reason. Don't like the sound of that. Mind you, I've had so much trouble finding invertebrates this year I've just about given up trying to photograph them; I've been concentrating on trying to make pretty pictures of flowers instead. That's one reason I haven't posted much here this year.

Thinking back over the 12 years we have been here, I think there has been a longer term decline going on in both in the numbers and the varies of invertebrates here, and in the local nature reserves that I visit from time to time. And I don't like the implications of that either. :(
Could the decline be because of your neighbour concreting over their gardens? In my road it is so sad how few people have any space for wildlife in their front garden.
Some for understandable reasons have converted their front gardens to car parking but others just have gravel or paving - no use for anything.

Could the decline be because of your neighbour concreting over their gardens? In my road it is so sad how few people have any space for wildlife in their front garden.
Some for understandable reasons have converted their front gardens to car parking but others just have gravel or paving - no use for anything.

Not good. Done for ease of maintenance I imagine where car parking wasn't the reason.

We haven't had much of that here, just one neighbour building a granny flat over their front garden (and they put a green roof on it). That's all in 12 years.

Not good. Done for ease of maintenance I imagine where car parking wasn't the reason.

We haven't had much of that here, just one neighbour building a granny flat over their front garden (and they put a green roof on it). That's all in 12 years.
That is good - I saw a few years ago when I looking to my house(I couldn't afford it) a house for sale with I think a 100 m long garden - concreted over. It makes me cry

Back