Watch macro

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
just a couple of shots. Any suggestions on how to improve?
#1 f/5.6 1/125sec ISO-400 no flash
IMG_0456.jpg

#2f/5.6 1/200 ISO-800 built in flash with a piece of paper to diffuse (I dont have a proper diffuser :()
IMG_0478.jpg

Thanks
Pete

first could be great if all the name was in focus, it seems a lil blurry imo

maybe do same shot and post up?

:)

Great idea, if you have a tripod then I'd suggest doing a long exposure shot of anything upto 8 seconds which will give a sense of movement (you'll capture the sweep of the second hand) and it means you can drop your ISO and make use of any old light.

Carl

Great idea, if you have a tripod then I'd suggest doing a long exposure shot of anything upto 8 seconds which will give a sense of movement (you'll capture the sweep of the second hand) and it means you can drop your ISO and make use of any old light.

Carl

good idea, thanks

i did a similar one a while ago on the kitchen table just messing about:

4107808538_cc5d04220b.jpg

f/8 1/6s no flash ISO 100

Last edited:
I like them, but I think you need a bit more DOF on the first one. That would also extend the shutter speed and give that blurred second hand look, I had a bash at a few of that kind of thing a while back, and there's all sorts of effects you can get.

I tried a longer exposure on the watch 20sec at f/22 ISO-100
IMG_0569.jpg

and i did a shot at 1/8th f/5.6 ISO-400
IMG_0560.jpg

Is there anything else other than the exosure time that's key to getting the second hand sweeping round (apart from a working watch). I managed to get an 6 second exposure and just about an 8 but after that the second hand stops registering at all on the picture. I certainly can't get the affect on the 20 second exposure above which looks really great.

I think you'd need a larger f# to get more in focus.
I prefer your first pic on the second try :)

Lighting might be better? either in sunlight perhaps (if any available) or use lamps with tissue/tracing paper between the light bulb and the subject to soften the light. Cheap to try too :)

Great shots though :)

Link to one I tried previously (not timed though just hand held)

When I get the time ;) I shall have a go at the timed exposure - looks great :)

Last edited:
Back