Watch Puzzle

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I wonder if anyone can throw a bit of light on this.
I have just spent vast sums , well £40 on a battery powered watch.
When I wear it it keeps good time no problem, I took if off when I went to bed last night and put in on a shorthand pad with a metal spiral binder , for no other reason than it was on my desk.
Got up this morning, watch stopped at the time I put it down.
This morning I corrected the time , it started and I wore it for a couple of hours then put it in the box it came in and its sat there for 1 hour working and keeping perfect time.
Some form of magnetic field set up between the watch battery and the spiral binder?

Is it a standard watch or one that sets/maintains its time via the UK radio signal system?

Its a standard one, not that sophisticated.

Its a standard one, not that sophisticated.

Hmmm :thinking:
Perhaps do some empirical tests......
Same location on the desk but not on the jotter pad?
Different location with the jotter in play?
etc

If you find a pattern as to any specific locations that cause it to stop that then have a common 'component' e.g. close to something with a magnetic field..........just don't leave the watch there in future ;)

Any magnetic force will cause a quartz powered watch to either stop completely or loose time, as it uses a magnetic stepper motor.
It won’t damage it, but still best to keep it away from such things. However a spiral binder shouldnt be particularly magnetic I wouldn’t have thought.

Thank you for that.
I was not aware that was how the watches worked, nothing to do with the binder but being adjacent to a radio would not have helped, so I imagine that was the problem.
I will have to move the radio
Many thanks indeed.

Back