Beginner Watch strap photography

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello there,

I'm new member here, I'm running small online business. In the past I used photographer to make photos, which passed away few months ago. I tried to find someone else to do them unfortunately quotes came too expensive, so I left with no choice as to learn to take photos myself. I gon Cannon eos 1100d sigma 105mm, canon ef 50mm and canon 18-55mm lenses.

I'm just wondering guys where can I find good tutorial. I tried youtube and google, but there is nothing there to pint me to the right direction. Thank you in advance

if you want to do your own photos keeping the camera still can be a problem . I presume you are after overhead shots onto a desk type situation.
If interested and I don't use anymore is this a manfrotto 055XPROB with a manfrotto pistol grip head manfrotto 322RC2 head. seen below (camera and lens not included for demo only)

bbbbb.jpg

this way if you also use a remote trigger to stop and camera shake I woujld suggest is th best way to get overhead shots

Last edited:
if you want to do your own photos keeping the camera still can be a problem . I presume you are after overhead shots onto a desk type situation.
If interested and I don't use anymore is this a manfrotto 055XPROB with a manfrotto pistol grip head manfrotto 322RC2 head. seen below (camera and lens not included for demo only)

View attachment 392290

this way if you also use a remote trigger to stop and camera shake I woujld suggest is th best way to get overh
Thank you very much for your offer, but I got similar tripod as yours and neewer fc-16 remote trigger

Look for tutorials about product photography, try this one
Thank you very much, good read but it's very broad. I need specific tutorial from how to keep strap in the same place for different colour pictures and so on. Basically I'm looking for step by step tutorial.

Thats ok I didn't know. what you might do is look at the photographers photos and see how he did it. Did he do overhead shots- on a turntable with the straps resting sidways on- did he use a light box or different lighting and colour.

When I am asked about taking a photo my usual question is "if looking at a flower what do you see"? most will say say flower colour. That is just seeing not looking. If looking would include colour-height-surroundings- leaf shape and how many - position of leaves -what may be on them which is foreign such as a small bug- angle it was taken from ie above side or even underneath. then you are actually looking

Same with the previous photos the guy took, so study them as a photographer and not just as an object.

here’s another one, but you may have to look at muliple tutorials to get the results you require

Thats ok I didn't know. what you might do is look at the photographers photos and see how he did it. Did he do overhead shots- on a turntable with the straps resting sidways on- did he use a light box or different lighting and colour.

When I am asked about taking a photo my usual question is "if looking at a flower what do you see"? most will say say flower colour. That is just seeing not looking. If looking would include colour-height-surroundings- leaf shape and how many - position of leaves -what may be on them which is foreign such as a small bug- angle it was taken from ie above side or even underneath. then you are actually looking

Same with the previous photos the guy took, so study them as a photographer and not just as an object.
Thank you for your suggestion, I uploaded photo of his job. I'll be honest with you, it doesn't say much plus they are dited with photoshop I suppose. That's why I need good guidance.

Attachments

• green_leather_watch_strap_2.jpg
    green_leather_watch_strap_2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 38
here’s another one, but you may have to look at muliple tutorials to get the results you require

That's what I'm talking about, I'll mark where first strap sith and then we go from there. Thank you

This looks like the photographer used a light table. So you’re looking at a minimum of 2 lights to recreate the look. Tbf the straps don’t need to be exactly in the same place for each shot, unless you think your buyers are gonna be judging you by layering up the images to mark you on your skills.

The more important issue is the repeatable lighting and accurate colour management. Your customers will be upset if the strap they receive is a different shade to what they chose.

If you want a detailed explanation of how that image could be recreated, ask for this to be moved to the lighting section ;)

This looks like the photographer used a light table. So you’re looking at a minimum of 2 lights to recreate the look. Tbf the straps don’t need to be exactly in the same place for each shot, unless you think your buyers are gonna be judging you by layering up the images to mark you on your skills.

The more important issue is the repeatable lighting and accurate colour management. Your customers will be upset if the strap they receive is a different shade to what they chose.

If you want a detailed explanation of how that image could be recreated, ask for this to be moved to the lighting section ;)
Yep that’s more important than positioning , the consistanty in colour of the. Object is very important

Thank you very much, good read but it's very broad. I need specific tutorial from how to keep strap in the same place for different colour pictures and so on. Basically I'm looking for step by step tutorial.
With respect, that isn't what you need at all, it's what you want. What you need is a basic understanding of product photography because, once you have that it will be obvioushow to photograph this very simple type of subject.
Thank you for your suggestion, I uploaded photo of his job. I'll be honest with you, it doesn't say much plus they are dited with photoshop I suppose. That's why I need good guidance.
Product photos need to look genuine, this one doesn't and personally would put me off if I was buying.

Thank you Phil for your input, I do have 2 soft lights similar to my uploaded photo. I absolutely agree regarding shade, we had sometimes people complaining about this, but we cannot control how it looks on different displays.

Regarding strap placement, I'm trying to avoid editing as much as I can I'm not very good with photoshop it's all new to me.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 7
Thanks a lot for all tips I need to set this up and try to make few photos and upload here, maybe you could give me some advice where I'm going wrong.

Thank you Phil for your input, I do have 2 soft lights similar to my uploaded photo. I absolutely agree regarding shade, we had sometimes people complaining about this, but we cannot control how it looks on different displays.

Regarding strap placement, I'm trying to avoid editing as much as I can I'm not very good with photoshop it's all new to me.
Those lights are absolutely terrible, but if you’re prepared to put in the effort you could possibly manage something similar to what you’re trying to achieve.
Place one of the ‘softboxes’ on the floor pointing upwards. And above it place a sheet of glass, this will be your work surface.

Place your watch straps on the glass, and place the other ‘softbox’ at camera left approx 45 degrees above and to the right of the straps.

Photograph from above.

Yes, this is all about lighting and you really do need to ask for it to be moved. Sadly though, you don't seem to get this and still seem to think that you just need a tutorial . . .
Those lights are absolutely terrible, but if you’re prepared to put in the effort you could possibly manage something similar to what you’re trying to achieve.
Place one of the ‘softboxes’ on the floor pointing upwards. And above it place a sheet of glass, this will be your work surface.

Place your watch straps on the glass, and place the other ‘softbox’ at camera left approx 45 degrees above and to the right of the straps.

Photograph from above.
As above, those lights aren't fit for any purpose and will not produce accurate colour reproduction, basically they're just junk. And you don't want or need 'soft' lights anyway, or at least not for this. "softness" - which is subjective anyway - is a relationship between the size of the subject and the size of the light source, which means that even a small light produces soft results when it's used on a small subject, and the closer the light, the softer the result.
What you actually need is fairly hard lighting that will show the texture of the strap material and create defined shadows.

Back