Critique Watcha

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
You have seen this guy before,I didn't actually realise at the time only later,that the fella came back to us several times,from differing angles of approach. I've read of hares going back on themselves and theories of whether that might be to disguise scent trails,god know what was going on in his head ,Which ever way I cut it he made a fantastic subject it was really cool this session . 1Div 400DOis ii extt 1.4iii 1.4000 f8 iso 3200

_70F9917 Watcha sm j lq by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers

stu

Did you experiment with portrait orientation? It's not obvious from the photo whether he's moving or just stationary, so portrait could work nicely. You've captured lovely fur detail in the shot and he stands out from the background well. Approximately how far away was he?

Yup,there might be one more frame ,then I switched orientation . He came this far and I deliberatley stayed in landscape, then he stopped,( above fella has or rather is putting the breaks on so just stopped.)................ we had a chat:D I flipped to portrait then he came again with a load of frame filling incoming down the barrel type stuff, untill I had to give up:( too close to focus ,maybe a couple of yards This is not a crop I'm guessing 10- 15 M max here in the frame above. In part I'm working the angles buddy,I have a fair few incoming shots made in portrait so I'm ringing the changes here a bit,adding a bit of variety to an ever increasing hare portfolio

The proximity effect (hare too close) Is a bit of an in joke I take the mick out of myself about;) I bought a slightly longer lens for a bit more reach well to keep me back a bit:rolleyes:,I felt I was interacting too much with them ............................. so they now come too blummin close.!!!

I find then incredibly difficult to frame(orientation wise........................... getting in the right orientation at exactly the right time and being able to flip back and forth seemlessly is an art form. I can see why so so many always and only shoot in landscape and then crop,but of course one is on a hiding to nothing as alot of detail goes in the bin with the crop,naturally this close and it's irrelevent anyway as one has to move between the orientations or simply cut bits off.

Wonderful animals I'm abit obsessed with them thanks for the interest

stu

Ha ha read that completely Jan,I guessed you might;)

I don't think it's my skills Jan, I wish :D................................. I'm utterly convinced that the are simply messing with me and know exactly what they are up to. That trickster reputation is not unfounded. It really does make me smile mate,I must be the only wildlife guy who's heading for FF to get less reach:eek:,

Janny sorry for wafflin, on a bit I have to share this.................. i'm so damn excited..:banana:..........................i've got there mate all that graft and i'm there.......... new camera, coming hopefully tues bought and paid out right:cool: ..earnt in 50p's(y) a 1DXii earnt in 50p's it's so cool..............ok it's second hand ,but to me i'm so bewildered and amazed who cares. I'm absolutley stunned I've managed the lens and now camera in a year,sure i've grafted me butt off,but things like this have never happened to me . As I knock these little ticks off ha ha little , I'm getting ever closer to the day when I can graft less and start to push harder with this photography lark,I'm so so excited:rolleyes:

bring it on

stu

Very nice STu, I would prefer a bit more space above and below but my persoanal choice. Lovely animals, TFS(y)

Very nice STu, I would prefer a bit more space above and below but my persoanal choice. Lovely animals, TFS(y)

Hey John,i'll try and get a pm over to you before the end of the week mate,regarding some thoughts that might help you nab those big eared mates of your at home. Yes I agree it is a bit tight especially the base for me............................ I liked the pose so made a couple of images and then flipped the camera getting rid of the issue you have mentioned But sadly the pose had changed. .I've had a bit of a chuckle above about this John they just keep coming closer and closer.

Your comment really does tie in to the comments I made above about how exacting framing can be with a hare so close.

john these hares have pushed me forwards framing wise,because of how demanding it is and how fast one had to be with the transition from landscape to portrait. I take the mick out of myself alot about this,as I know in my heart I am simply not good enough yet. One has to be so exact and yet everything happens so incredibly fast.

thanks for dropping by kiddo I appreciate the thoughts:cool:

stu

I can fully understand your quest for perfection in technique, composition etc, but you are being hard on yourself. You are capturing their essence. I think you know what I mean. Don't ever lose that.

I'm brutal on me Janny,always will be, always have been............ i also smile alot while i'm beating myself up ya gotta laugh at yourself first ;) I guess it's a mindset to keep driving me forwards and never let anything in mentally to get in the way of what i'm trying to achieve . . :)

All that said I utterly understand what you are saying and thank you for it Jan they are wise words,wise indeed. !!

I guess i'm separating the actual making process from the way I feel about my subject. The " how I feel" bit that mad unconditional love, adoration passion.......what ever one might call it maybe is the thing that is allowing me to grab their " essence" (terribly flattering Jan). Actually taking that further I do sort of see two separate learning curves that might result in a wonderful wildlife image where what you have referred to as essence( I s'pose I call it spirit ) of a hare or what ever subject is caught in the image ....as well as the togging minutia sharpness framing bla de bla .

I have to learn how to be good with the photography tool kit and then I have to learn every thing I can about my subject. two entirely separate elements. If one can capture that indefinable essence in an image then I honestly believe in my heart that comes from subject knowledge,or luck,one or the other. It's hard trying to put all this into words mate,I do understand you completely, It's just hard articulating something I can't really define . If I am being successful that is so wonderful Jan I'm still incredibly flattered, so on that premise it seemed worth while musing the why or how that might be happening.

It's weird Jan I ponder stuff very deeply am always musing sommit or other, especially to do with image making Yet when actually doing the making an image bit, a hare slap bang under my nose,everything deep and meaningful has pretty much gone out the blummin window Jan when I can use those tools to the best I can so everything is utterly instinctive,that skillset I think will lead to that mental state where my subject is the only thing in my life. and maybe is another way of that goal you mentioned being reached.

Bit deep all this Janny:D good to ponder though

thankyou

stu

Back