Wated: SB 700 Mentor

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought a SB 700 yesterday and tried it out for the first time tonight. NO instruction manual, but I gave it a go. Bit cheeky this. Would someone be a "flash" mentor for me please? Then I can keep in contact with one person and not bore everyone else with my bog basic questions. Try you tube but it doesn't give me what I need. Preparing for backlash.

Can’t help you being a mentor... but I assume you know that the Nikon Manual Viewer on iOS (and maybe Android) has the SB700 manual. I would guess it’s downloadable from the Nikon website too.

Download the instruction manual, and get the Speedliter's Handbook. It's Canon-centric and I'm not sure how recently it's been updated, but the basic techniques of speedlight flash photography haven't changed and it's very good on all that (y)

As for mentors, there are a few on this forum. Ask away, and then everyone can benefit :)

Use this link to download a PDF manual for your SB-700 Flash

Is that a safe link? I would only use a link to the manufacturer's official download page. I've used third-party options before (the ones that often come top of a search) and then you find Ask and other crap has been installed as your default search engine and it's bluddy hard to get rid of.

That link may be clean as a whistle though, I've not tried it :)

Reactions: TG.
The link goes to https://www.manualslib.com/manual/695449/Nikon-Sb-700.html.

Nortons website scanner which I always use to scan URLs gives the following report on www.Manualslib.com

Safe Web Report for:
thumb

manualslib.com
Web Site Location
nl.gif
Netherlands

SAFE
Site Owner? Click here
Norton Rating

Norton Safe Web has analyzed manualslib.com for safety and security problems.
Summary
Norton Safe Web found no issues with this site.
  • Computer Threats: 0
  • Identity Threats: 0
  • Annoyance factors: 0
Total threats on this site: 0
The Norton rating is a result of Symantec's automated analysis system. Learn more.
The opinions of our users are reflected separately in the community rating on the right.

Last edited:
(y)

The direct Nikon links are 'clean' too.

Do not be concerned about asking questions, you will usually get a reply from more than one other member, although some do get carried away with their 'pet' accessories. You have the SB700, there is a lot to learn if you have not used oner before.

I only have SB200/800/900s so I might not be the best to advise on the SB700 but there will be similarities, so ask away. They are good robust flashguns and should last you a lifetime so long as you dont drop them or leave batteries in them to corrode. (Tip: take the batteries out after every session).

Someone has contacted me and said; 1/250 is a fast enough shutter speed to capture a "fast" runner coming towards me when using the SB 700. I'm confused.com How slow can you set the shutter speed before it doesn't?

Someone has contacted me and said; 1/250 is a fast enough shutter speed to capture a "fast" runner coming towards me when using the SB 700. I'm confused.com How slow can you set the shutter speed before it doesn't?

Hard to say, it's movement relative to the camera that matters, you can't put mph on it. With a runner moving directly across the viewfinder, without panning you'll need quite a fast speed, but coming straight towards you, and ignoring arms and legs, the movement the camera sees will be some relatively slow bobbing up and down and the image size changing as they get gradually closer. That will be minimal when using a longer lens from some distance and keeping the focus accurately nailed would probably be a higher priority.

So it's suck it and see really, you'll soon get an eye for it, but how I imagine things from what you've said, I think 1/250sec with flash wouldn't be very doable.

Last edited:
OK, @mossienet
Here's an offer you can't refuse.

I have two excellent guide books to get you into flash. One in based on Canon gear the other is more general but as @HoppyUK says above..
basic techniques of speedlight flash photography haven't changed

Both books in excellent condition. Yours for the price of postage of your choice (UK only).Close to £50 worth of instruction for the price of a stamp.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Canon-EOS-Flash-Photography/dp/193395244X
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedlights-Speedlites-Creative-Flash-Photography/dp/0240812077

There are three things in this operation.
1) Your camera, and it is well capable of doing what you want.
2) Your flash gun, and it is well capable of doing what you want.
3) Yourself.

Want these? Let me know.

i can't understand why the manual didn't come with the speedlight, the ones I have bought including the SB 600 and now the SB 900 both came with manuals. Sounds to me as if it has been used before and not new. Hope you didn't pay for it as new

Last edited:
@mickledore That would be brilliant. Trying to find a "local" 2nd hand bookshop to see what they've got. PM me your bank details and I'll send the postage through. I'm raising funds for our local mountain rescue team through my photos. I'll throw another donation their way as well.

i can't understand why the manual didn't come with the speedlight, the ones I have bought including the SB 600 and now the SB 900 both came with manuals. Sounds to me as if it has been used before and not new. Hope you didn't pay for it as new

I tried to buy the SB 700 on ebay - it finished up at £180 Harrisons of Sheffield had one for £160 and I can return after 14 days etc. No box and no manual. As I keep saying, I'm a kinaesthetic learning and stuff only sinks in if I do something repeatedly. Just need to have basic questions answered for the situations I find myself in. Love my photography, I know I'm way behind millions of people but it is so satisfying. Local area offers nothing in terms of courses etc.

I tried to buy the SB 700 on ebay - it finished up at £180 Harrisons of Sheffield had one for £160 and I can return after 14 days etc. No box and no manual. As I keep saying, I'm a kinaesthetic learning and stuff only sinks in if I do something repeatedly. Just need to have basic questions answered for the situations I find myself in. Love my photography, I know I'm way behind millions of people but it is so satisfying. Local area offers nothing in terms of courses etc.
@DG Phototraining might be able to offer something, whether actual training or just an organised shoot.

@mossienet Just weighed these books at something over 2kg.
Royal Mail prices are shown here - we are not allowed attachments on PMs (Why not?), so can you decide which level you want.
Of course when I get to the Post Office they may well have their own opinion on pricings which may differ from this:eek:
Capture.JPG

Top one at £13.14 would be fine. I'm a tight Yorkshireman. BUT, whichever is easier for you. Really appreciate this.

I know what you mean, most people are like that I think, at least to some extent, but stick with it. I have to say that I've never found using modern flash guns to be particularly intuitive and being familiar with a camera doesn't help that much, but there is logic to it and the penny will drop sooner or later. Just dive in though, give it a go and you'll be amazed at what flash can do. It can be truly transforming, Then you'll be hooked (y)

@mossienet Just weighed these books at something over 2kg.
Royal Mail prices are shown here - we are not allowed attachments on PMs (Why not?), so can you decide which level you want.
Of course when I get to the Post Office they may well have their own opinion on pricings which may differ from this:eek:
View attachment 123775

Probably too late now, but it would be cheaper sending them individually at £2.95 each:

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.04.08_09h17m34s_002_.png

Back