Water Birds

Jo

Name
Jo Fisher
Edit My Images
Yes
We went to Ferry Meadows near Peterborough yesterday. It started out veeeery cold (6 oC with plenty of wind). But as the morning wore on it got a bit warmer, then after lunch the sun shone brightly.

Here are a selection of 'water birds' for you. I know ducks and geese aren't the most popular birds of the forum, but I just love the clarity of some of these shots. Trouble is, could I heck as like get a full body shot of any of them with this 400mm ... the birds were too close! :LOL:

Please enjoy!

#1 Greylag

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 400 mm
ISO Speed: 400

#2 Not sure? (hybrid of something)

#3 Not sure? (hybrid of something)

ISO Speed: 320

#4 Goose

ISO Speed: 100

#5 One the Queens birds

#6 My favourite shot of the morning

Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture: f/7.1
ISO Speed: 100

Finally another shot. I know it's not anything bird related, but I don't fancy creating another thread for one shot. I hope no one minds.

#7 Archery in slow motion.
OK, not the best composition, but I am chuffed I got a couple of mid air shots of arrows heading for the target. So here is the better on of the two.

Aperture: f/7.1
ISO Speed: 250

Thanks for looking!

Jo
xxx

Last edited:
Excellent set Jo. #6 is an absolute stonker. The detail is fantastic! :D

They are all good ... but number 7 for me, I am a sucker for an 'in flight' shot ... :coat:

Well done, the bird shots are great and 6 is a belter. You were bloody brave - how close to that target were you?

Gary.

7 is amazing, love it.

400mm is pretty far away, and depending on how much the picture is cropped. Not that dagerous I would have thought.

My reactions are 500th of a second, so I could have caught the arrow.

Thanks all! :D

That archery target shot is uncropped, I think it was perhaps 30ft away but I'm not sure. We were sat behind a fence though, so no danger :p

Superb set of shots Jo, and #6 is the pick of the bunch.

Nice set Jo
Well done on the arrow and I agree #6 (y)

Hi Jo, your shots are absolutely amazing, honestly!! My fave of them all is #6, the detail in the feathers is incredible. Look forward to seeing more. :)

Thank you very much Cobra ;)

:confused: Thanks also to you for your kind words Beth :)

I've been sitting here trying to think how #6 could be improved....and I can't :(

Bob

Hi Jo

I have a soft spot for greylags and like the portrait in 1. The background in 1-4 are all superb, nice and diffuse.

I've never been to Ferry Meadows. Have to give it a try as it is only just up the road from us.

No5 for me... compositionally superb and good control of a large range of tones. (y)

Paul you should definitely pay it a visit! I narrowly missed out on a Kingfisher shot on the riverside walk. There is plenty to see, and the Bluebell woods are worth a visit I have been told also. But I couldn't get in there as they thought it wise to put great big logs across the pathway in :(.

Thanks CT (y)

Last edited:
Hey Jo... yet another cracking set of images there girl... (y) ... I have to side with you though that Swan image is possibly the best executed most gorgeous head and neck shot I have seen in a long, long while... :shrug: ... absolutely stonking picture... :clap:

Catching the in-flight arrow is also a great take... :D ... and not too wildly off-topic either... :naughty:

:p

Another cracking set Jo (you really have to find a way of getting a 400 5.6 for yourself :))

6 is a cracker of a shot, but i will side with CT i think 5 is the strongest of this set by miles :)

Thanks muchly Ian ;) and I know ... Trying really hard to think of ways to make it happen fast.

Hey Jo... yet another cracking set of images there girl... (y) ... I have to side with you though that Swan image is possibly the best executed most gorgeous head and neck shot I have seen in a long, long while... :shrug: ... absolutely stonking picture... :clap:

Catching the in-flight arrow is also a great take... :D ... and not too wildly off-topic either... :naughty:

:p

Thank you very much Ven, has to be one of the sweetest comments I have recieved. You've made my day :)

all fantastice but if i had to chose it would have to the 2 swans amazing detail and the black background in the 5 well its just stunning (y)

very good , I like the greylag a lot

thought you'd have tried a bit of panning on the arrow though ;)

Back