Water cooling build - Complete

I have just bought a Antec p280 but I looked at the Corsair cases. Corsair do have some cracking stuff.

Is this all that needs to be done or am I missing something?
Nope. That's it. You now have a system that is overclocked from 3.5GHz to 4.7GHz or a 34% overclock :)

Sandy Bridge FTW!

• PCI-E, USB 3.0, HD Audio, Firewire cables sleeved.
  • All PSU cables routed neatly and unused ones tucked away out of sight.
  • Case cleaned.
  • All plugged in and working well :love:

Just a UV light to add which I'll hopefully get tomorrow.

Very nice job :)

Good to see the graphics card still works (y)

I'm at those temps at 4.3GHz.

Looking good Ben (y)

welcome to the world of water cooling, (and possibly some insane overclocking :D)

Looking good Ben (y)

welcome to the world of water cooling, (and possibly some insane overclocking :D)

:D Thanks! Not sure how much more I dare go tbh. And if it's worth it for what I use it for.

You have to remember why you did this & if it makes you happy, its worth every penny. (y)

(y) I'd say worth every penny so far!

Added 2 3mm LED's to the waterblock.
Had to wire, solder, add resister and heatshrink myself. All went well.

Added a UV and Blue Cold Cathode to the case. Looking nice now :)

(although white balance seems a bit off in this one)

No I haven't tried lowering the voltage, I'm unsure what to take it down to :shrug:

Also it seems my system doesn't like being overclocked :\
When I turn it on I've been getting BOOTMGR is missing and it won't boot to Windows unless I reset the BIOS to default. Confused :puke:

What you got BCLK set to. It should be 100MHz dead. Anything else and the system is liable to go unstable somewhere in some unspecified way....

arad85 said:
What you got BCLK set to. It should be 100MHz dead. Anything else and the system is liable to go unstable somewhere in some unspecified way....

I'm fairly certain it was 100MHz and the CPU Ratio was 47. That's all I'd changed.

BOOTMGR is a disk system. When you are in overclcoked mode, is it selecting the right boot disk?

Try something lower than 47.
Mine would not do 47 unless I set the core voltage to 1.4+ and I didn't like the temps on 1.4+.
Ended up settling for 45 with 1.3 core V.
It appears the newer chips do not overclock as well as the earlier ones so lots of oc guides that were getting approaching 5GHz don't necessarily work on current chips.
Mine appears to have one core worse than the others. The third core is always hotter than the others. A degree or so when running slow but can get to 4 degrees when oc.

Thanks for the good advice guys!
I'll try checking where it's booting from and lower the multiplier later this evening. I'm setting it manually, not using a preset.

Ok looks like it could have been trying to boot from the disk drive first.
I've also changed the CPU ratio to 45.
Everything is ok so far, might up the ratio a bit more.

Question about lowering voltage... will this equal lower temps? How much should I try lowering it by? Can I damage anything by adjusting it a little?
And what exactly is it that I adjust?

Thanks!

neil_g said:
It will lower temps but potentially cause unstable overclock too. I'd leave the volts alone personally.

That's fair enough :)
Thought I'd just ask the question.

Cheers

Yup it can be a right juggling act.
If I left the voltage on auto it always picked a voltage high enough to cause temps higher than 70C which while within spec I found was pretty much the point where I could hear fan noise. Having worked in electronics since leaving school I am way too nervous to introduce water to my system, especially with my cack-handedness :)
So it was a case of adjust a little bit-test-adjust a little-test.
I found 1.30V was stable running Prime95 for one hour and temps stayed in mid to high 60's (with core 3 popping over 70 now and then).
As this machine isn't running 24/7 and it rarely does run at 100% all cores in real life it should be fine. First sign of anything looking unreliable and I either up the voltage or more likely drop the multiplier.

Ok looks like it could have been trying to boot from the disk drive first.
I've also changed the CPU ratio to 45.
Everything is ok so far, might up the ratio a bit more.

Question about lowering voltage... will this equal lower temps? How much should I try lowering it by? Can I damage anything by adjusting it a little?
And what exactly is it that I adjust?

Thanks!

Did you overclock manually or with a easy tune type thing.

The easy tuners a ok but manually in the bois has more control

Scythe Fan Controller fitted and wired up!

Currently controlling all 5 fans and measuring 1 temperature, which is the graphics card.

Very pleased with it :)

I'm currently running at a stable 4500MHz overclock. May increase it a little later on.
Other than that, I think I'm pretty much done for now. Can't think of anything else to do...

Other than get out and take some photos so I can edit them on the new machine.
(Which is where the idea of needing to build a new system started in the first place!)

Is it also measuring pump speed? :)

Ah I forgot to mention that!
The pump comes with a little blue wire and plug. If I plug it into the controller it will measure the pump speed (about 4500rpm)

But it isn't adjustable :\ Is this normal or can should I be able to adjust it?
Would be handy if I could as it's the loudest part of the system.

Ah I forgot to mention that!
The pump comes with a little blue wire and plug. If I plug it into the controller it will measure the pump speed (about 4500rpm)

But it isn't adjustable :\ Is this normal or can should I be able to adjust it?
Would be handy if I could as it's the loudest part of the system.

This is normal, it only measures speed :)

Rob 80386 said:
This is normal, it only measures speed :)

Ah ok that's fine :)
At least it has the alarm feature to warn if the pump fails.

Back