Water drop on a needle

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I'm trying to get a single water drop on a needle to photograph. I have some different card that should make funky backgrounds.
My problem is getting one good drip on the needle. Anything I can add to the water to make it slightly thick but still transparent?
In the past I've captured water drops but that was on a leaf or a trees twig. I'm finding it hard to get it to stick to metal

:help: please

Try Glycerol (glycerin) has a much higher viscosity and 'looks' like water, can be diluted to tune the viscosity
yep, this:agree::agree:

Might be cheaper in a supermarket.

can get a litre on eBay for about £7, not sure how much you get for £1.50 ?

Thank you. I see boots sell it for £1.50 so I'll pop in there later :)

That's not bad, they charge almost €5 here in chemists for 150ml. As a vaper who makes my own e-liquids though, I get it from Darkstar UK - 1litre for £3.50

Of course, 150ml will be more than loads for your purpose - and yes, it's a great sub for water in photos and should be perfect for the job.

can get a litre on eBay for about £7, not sure how much you get for £1.50 ?
That's not bad, they charge almost €5 here in chemists for 150ml. As a vaper who makes my own e-liquids though, I get it from Darkstar UK - 1litre for £3.50

Of course, 150ml will be more than loads for your purpose - and yes, it's a great sub for water in photos and should be perfect for the job.

Got some this afternoon after Gareth suggested Glycerin. It's this one from boots... https://www.boots.com/value-health-...1_1551898584_6ff5bf77608fc55a8d65c643575b7ace

Now if I get a cough or sore throat it's a double thumbs up :D

This stuff is just what I was looking for. Just done a few shots and will have a look at them on the computer later. I'll post a result if I get a good one I like :)

He only needs one drop :)

Unless I get a HUGE needle

thinking-face_1f914.png

Got some this afternoon after Gareth suggested Glycerin. It's this one from boots... https://www.boots.com/value-health-glycerin-b-p-200ml-10021858?affwin&cm_mmc=affiliates-_-Sub Networks-_-adgoal-_-affiliate&utm_source=affiliates&utm_medium=Sub+Networks&utm_campaign=adgoal&awc=2041_1551898584_6ff5bf77608fc55a8d65c643575b7ace

Now if I get a cough or sore throat it's a double thumbs up :D

This stuff is just what I was looking for. Just done a few shots and will have a look at them on the computer later. I'll post a result if I get a good one I like :)

Or if you plan on icing a cake :D It's also very good for flaky or dry skin/cracked heels/chapped lips/dry scalp etc

Nice, I must have a play with it some rainy day, used to love doing water splash shots using colour gels and the like, using VG for years now and never thought of messing with it for some macro

Nice, I must have a play with it some rainy day, used to love doing water splash shots using colour gels and the like, using VG for years now and never thought of messing with it for some macro

That was my next play.
Done some water drops 4 years ago but think I'll try again with glycerin and some food colouring.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rgi68X]
[/url]

That was my next play.
Done some water drops 4 years ago but think I'll try again with glycerin and some food colouring.

Can be fun :) Great thing is each capture is like a fingerprint, completely unique. It's a while since I did them - A friend had me print up this one for them a few years back:
fire splash by K G, on Flickr

Had this one as my desktop background for a bit:
Mellow by K G, on Flickr

Can be fun :) Great thing is each capture is like a fingerprint, completely unique. It's a while since I did them - A friend had me print up this one for them a few years back:
fire splash by K G, on Flickr

Had this one as my desktop background for a bit:
Mellow by K G, on Flickr

This has got me in the mood to do them again.

This was 2012. I used marbles in the bottom.

This has got me in the mood to do them again.

This was 2012. I used marbles in the bottom.

Good idea! Where does out Emily keep her marbles ... :D I used a set of colour gels from Lee filters, I remember emailing them to ask for some samples [a tip I got online, could even have been on here] and they send you out a booklet of them for free! - not sure if they still do but might be worth a shot

Was going to suggest Glycerol/Glycerin, and saw the others here already had. I vape and make my own liquids so knew it would be ideal.

Boots actually sell it in small bottles, when I have ran low of my big amounts boots have saved me with a 200ML bottle a few times, think its £1.99 if I remember correctly.

Was going to suggest Glycerol/Glycerin, and saw the others here already had. I vape and make my own liquids so knew it would be ideal.

Boots actually sell it in small bottles, when I have ran low of my big amounts boots have saved me with a 200ML bottle a few times, think its £1.99 if I remember correctly.

Boots is where I got mine. £1.49 for 200ml

Back