water drop....

Edit My Images
Yes
just had my camera a few days...still playing with settings...can anyone give any advice to improve this please?

I used 1/500 shutter, 4.0A, 200ISO and flash.....thank you :)

talkcopy.jpg

Nice first try(y)
You don't need a shutterspeed of 1/500 with flash, I'm suprised that it worked, try dropping it to 1/200 and increase your aperture to f11-16. Use manual focus - place a pencil where the drop will hit and focus in that. Personally I'd back off a tad to give the drop some space too;)
There are a few water drop, spike and collision threads on here at present. The best are by Spolg. Take a look, it's where I draw inspiration from:)
HTH

It's a bit difficult to see whats going on . I'm guessing the depth of field is not sufficent,
The angle is pherhaps a bit high and the colours are very confusing, I'm sure that others can add to that, opinion

well it was my first attempt today lol maybe the asda curry box added confusing colours lol

on manual focus do i put the pencil or finger to focus on where the drop will over or roughly where it will plop up to in the air?

and my appature only goes to 8 :-( is that pants? dont tell me if it is anyway lol

I guess you're using a compact or bridge camera which will limit your possibilities, however it should still be possible. If f8's your limit then give it a go;) I focus on the spot that the drop will hit, if you back off a touch and lower your shooting angle then that should be fine. Take loads of shots and when you get a good one write down what you did (good Splog advice). Post up your results and ask lots of questions people here should be able to help. Be careful though this can get addictive:LOL:

I guess you're using a compact or bridge camera which will limit your possibilities, however it should still be possible. If f8's your limit then give it a go;) I focus on the spot that the drop will hit, if you back off a touch and lower your shooting angle then that should be fine. Take loads of shots and when you get a good one write down what you did (good Splog advice). Post up your results and ask lots of questions people here should be able to help. Be careful though this can get addictive:LOL:

using nikon P90.

i have all the manual controls etc but obviously not to the same extent as the slr's etc.......how much will the f8 limit me to on pictures an in what way limit me? cheers

Sorry not familiar with the P90 but I doubt if it will limit you much at all if f8 is max it's probably equivalent to f16 on an SLR. Have you got an off camera flash cos that would help;)

Sorry not familiar with the P90 but I doubt if it will limit you much at all if f8 is max it's probably equivalent to f16 on an SLR. Have you got an off camera flash cos that would help;)

No not yet just the on camera flash, like I say I've only had it a few days and still tinkering with all the settings so any advice greatly appreciated!

RJL2005 has it pretty much covered but just wanted to say that I used a Panny FZ8 (bridge camera) before my D60 and I would have used it in macro mode for something like this - I don't know if the P90 has a macro function though?

Definately use manual focusing and the flash will freeze the movement so you can lower your shutter speed. Wack it up to your highest aperture f number (I don't know the in's and outs but f8 on a bridge is equivilent to a higher f number on a DSLR so should be fine). I'd definately change the angle so you are looking at the drop straight on rather from above.

As for where to focus - try different approaches and see what works for you. Experiment loads and post the results - looking forward to seeing your next efforts (y)

EDIT - Just had a look and there is a bit in Understanding Exposure about fixed-lens digital camera's versus DSLR's and DOF. He says that on a fixed lens f8 is equivilent to f32 on a DSLR!

Last edited:
Thanks for that info! Yea it has macro unto a 1 cm, is it better to crop in rather than get too close? Like I say I just done a quick set up to test it all out will give a better go soon, on night shift now n found some great industrial pics to be done! Lol

Back