Water droplet: "van der Waals" interactions

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a geek at heart, and I have done a similar thread in the past. Have a quick look at THIS video (only need to watch for a few seconds) for an explanation.

Anyways, I've photographed it in the past, but wanted to again :) Trying some different crops. These are two different drops, which do you prefer?

SevenSevenAlone.jpg

Or

oheightbyself.jpg

Last edited:
Prefer the second, but maybe because it's in focus.

Prefer the second, but maybe because it's in focus.

They're both pretty good, focus-wise I think? This is the first one @ 100%: EDIT: Eurgh, photobucket does ruin photos! It's sharper on my screen than photobucket make's it...

inforcus.jpg

Second one is fantastic. I didn't know water could do that, thanks for that link.

2nd is much sharper on my monitor...

Last edited:
Second one is fantastic. I didn't know water could do that, thanks for that link.

2nd is much sharper on my monitor...

Second one looks sharper to me too, although I have to say that I prefer the ripples in the first one.
Both are quite beautiful though.

p.s. Thank you for the link - interesting watching (y)

Perhaps the second one is then! Maybe it's my monitor :shrug: As you say Sarah, I prefer the ripples on the first... :thinking:

Thanks all for the comments :)

Perhaps the second one is then! Maybe it's my monitor :shrug: As you say Sarah, I prefer the ripples on the first... :thinking:

I don't think it's soft enough to detract from the image, just doesn't look quite as sharp as the second one.

I dumped Photobucket a while ago. I was fed up with the horrible things it was doing to my photos.
Much prefer pix.ie these days - and I've grudgingly given in and opened a Flickr account for sharing with friends / family.

Just....Wow..
Personally,i prefer the first one.
(Cant even say why exactly-Just find it more appealing :) )
These days Ash-any time i even think about water droplets or any kind of liquid related photography..Your name pops into my head!
Very nice images. (y)

Wow, that must have been hard to pulll off AND capture! While both shots are excellent, I prefer the second image (I feel the first one is too centered whereas the second one looks like it could be used for a poster with titles in the space to the right).
I also love the soft colour hues you've used on it.

I love physics :D

Never occurred to me to try and capture this though, how did you do it? I might have to have a go.

I don't think it's soft enough to detract from the image, just doesn't look quite as sharp as the second one.

I dumped Photobucket a while ago. I was fed up with the horrible things it was doing to my photos.
Much prefer pix.ie these days - and I've grudgingly given in and opened a Flickr account for sharing with friends / family.

I've been on Flickr for a year or so now, but only my very best stuff goes on there ;) lol. Photobucket is very annoying...

Just....Wow..
Personally,i prefer the first one.
(Cant even say why exactly-Just find it more appealing :) )
These days Ash-any time i even think about water droplets or any kind of liquid related photography..Your name pops into my head!
Very nice images. (y)

Thanks! And, wow, that's quite something :love:

Wow, that must have been hard to pulll off AND capture! While both shots are excellent, I prefer the second image (I feel the first one is too centered whereas the second one looks like it could be used for a poster with titles in the space to the right).
I also love the soft colour hues you've used on it.

Actually, not too hard, compared with droplet collision stuff. Do you think the second one works as a stand alone piece of art though? As for how, see below...

I love physics :D

Never occurred to me to try and capture this though, how did you do it? I might have to have a go.

Me too!

I had a picture of the set up but I gone and left my point and shoot camera, with the picture on, at home! Doh! :bonk:

Basically: Canon 450D, macro lens, with infra red flash trigger on top. Shallow tray of water in front, with a white piece of acrylic behind, and then behind that 2 jessops flashes firing on slave from the infra red trigger, one with a red diffuser on. I set it all up and got my lighting how I wanted. Then used a needle and syringe and blue water (food dye) to drop drops from a height of about 10mm - more or less and they just fall straight in. To increase the amount of time the drops stay on the surface for (like a fraction of a second! lol) I added crap loads of rinse aid to both pan water and droplet water. Then... just dropped and fired the camera. Took 20 or so photos :)

Back