Water droplets inside the lens

Edit My Images
No
Have been suffering not so good results from my 75-300mm Olympus lens during astro and moon sessions.

Had a look down the lens yesterday in broad daylight, and the inside is grimy to say the least.

Grime consists of what looks like dust, but also several larger blobs of what I assume is water.

Q is can these lenses be cleaned proffesionally? Or are they a right off. Daylight "normal" photography does not seem to be affected noticeably...

I have asked Olypmus but as yet no answer....

Mj :(:(:(:(

The blobs could be oil splashes from the iris.

Last edited:
It could be condensation, Astro photographers and astronomers use a heated band around the telescope called a dew heater to stop this situation occurring.

That sounds a possibility.

Maybe I can reduce the water (if it is water) by warming up the lens for a few hours.

Thanks for the tip........

Mj

Off to Olympus for cleaning...

£129 costs.

Might try and buy a willie warmer for it...................

:):):):)

Reactions: mho
That sounds a possibility.

Maybe I can reduce the water (if it is water) by warming up the lens for a few hours.

Thanks for the tip........

Mj

Dont heat it up before you take it outside, perfect conditions for dew forming on a lens,
take the lens outside a few hours before you use it if possible,
and let it settle at the ambiant air temperature, if you still get dew forming,
you need to keep the area around the lens elements a few degrees above the dew point.
you do this using a dew heater like the one below (controller not shown)
or if your handy enough make one.

http://www.altairastro.com/dewzappe...telescope-spotting-scope-40cm-length-20w.html

DEWH-34-DSLR-20W-DSC_4987-800w.jpg

Thanks Mark, will look closely at this Astro site. Some nice goodies there as well.

Mj

Reactions: mho
Thanks Mark, will look closely at this Astro site. Some nice goodies there as well.

Mj

All the astro shops have nice things, its even more addictive than photography and astrophotography is even more addictive believe me.

Back