Critique Water droplets - towers and crowns

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Inspired by the POTY 2014 technique for January, I dusted off my extension tubes, congratulated myself on not giving in to the temptation to buy a dedicated macro lens, and set about some macro water droplet shots. I hadn't tried these before, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

I really wanted to capture a droplet collision but a) I was only using plain water; and b) I was using a less-than-ideal contact lens saline solution bottle as the dropper. I've got some proper eye droppers with rubber bulbs on the way, as well as some food colouring, so hopefully future shots will be slightly more interesting. I fleetingly thought about buying a SplashArt kit, but that seems a little bit like cheating.

They're not quite POTY-worthy, but then I didn't really expect that with my first attempt. Any feedback and recommendations are most welcome.

Purple crown

Turquoise tower

A few more from the set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spjwebster/sets/72157639531516874/

Some very nice first tries! With a bit of fiddling and a good set up you could get some lovely collisions I am sure! Have a look at my set-up I wrote a few years back for my personal technique yo lighting and collisions :)

Very good Steve. No. 2 is a cracker!:clap:

Back