Water Drops - A rainy day experiment!

Edit My Images
Yes
Pretty much rained off here for anything outside so, tried this. Not the best background but I am quite pleased with the results.

They were taken with a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro @f11 1/125th sec. A 550EX speedlite pointing at the ceiling was master and a 430EX, as slave, to the left of the drops with the flash head pointing at the subject.

Basically it was me pouring water from a wine glass into a full glass bowl while my other hand tripped the shutter. All very technical! If I spent more time at it I probably would have used a different background and tried different angles.

1)

water1.jpg

2) Think this looks like an angel or a dancer maybe?

water2.jpg

3) Almost phallic!

water3.jpg

Certainly works for me. As you say, the background is a bit meh, but other than that, nice job. Would also be interesting mixing up the liquid. Ie, try coloured liquids etc. Good job.(y)

Thanks! The background is the tiles behind the sink where I had the bowl of water!! A plain background may not have worked? I quite like the effect in the water of the tiles, just a shame about their colour!

Interesting idea about the coloured liquids though.

I love 'em. Especially since they are clear. The clarity is superb. They look like weird ice sculptures. (y)

I agree about the background. Could always convert them to mono though.

I like how you can see the tiles in the water on the first shot :)

Number 2 is a cracker mate. There was an article on this type of work last week (or earlier) with flash and exposure techniques in one of the mags. The guy that did that famous milk splash shot.

Nice work ... :clap: ... and some really interesting results you got there Andy ... (y) ... the mono conversion works really well imgo ... ;)

:p

Sorry - has to do a major search then! Page 50 of Amateur Photographer, June 23rd Edition (last weeks). Should be available still for a couple of days (y)

Great shots, fantastic results :)

Thanks for that, I shall pop to the newsagents tomorrow and see if they have it. :clap:

If you cant give me a shout and i'll scan it for you. Its featured in a book called "Heaven and Earth" too

Seems like forever since Ive been meaning to have a go at this ... if theres a scanned feature being passed around, someone give me a shout too please.

My fave is your angel/dancer in mono, its lovely, looks like glass.
But as soon as I saw the pic open ... I thought Matador!

Anyone wanting a scan; please PM your e-mail address to me. I'm too lazy to check profiles :D

i love these shots id like to print them out and have them on my wall

is that ok with you

good shots, it's remarkably difficult to get something decent. Very much hit or a miss and yours have "hit" :)

good shots, it's remarkably difficult to get something decent. Very much hit or a miss and yours have "hit" :)

And for the first time I am going to use this smiley..:agree:

ohhh nice

Hi dod, thanks very much for your "hit" :)

I know what you mean about miss....I did another set tonight with my Pentacon 135 manual lens with a full set of extension tubes on to see what I get. I don't think I got a single decent one, although I have posted a few on my flickr site as these are the better ones I feel.

I quite like this one:

651950453_5fdb34773f.jpg

I was struggling with the dof (or lack of!) abit and I couldn't get my aim right...typical bloke though I guess! :LOL:

Also this one looks like a freestyle swimmer:

652812654_d8aab59c0b.jpg

Both of these are uncropped...its too late now but I am itching to try again!

The black and white conversion is excellent. Deffo something I am going to try myself.

Very nice! :) Like the dancer one. :LOL:

Brilliant stuff - really really like the idea - must gibe it a try. Love the shapes. Thought a little crop to centre the Angel/Dancer might help. These are so strong they can take even bolder colours :clap: tried this for you - hope you don't mind :)

water2.jpg

Brilliant stuff - really really like the idea - must gibe it a try. Love the shapes. Thought a little crop to centre the Angel/Dancer might help. These are so strong they can take even bolder colours :clap: tried this for you - hope you don't mind :)

Thats great, I like the red wish I had thought of the background but had another go last night - with red background! :) I haven't tried cropping it centrally or anything like that, so could probably do with tidying up abit. I haven't had a real good shot since my first batch but it is fun trying!

686092611_48cd6b70df.jpg

I also tried with a baking tray, to see what difference shallow water makes:

686096949_a317d1ab44.jpg

The rim of the tray spoils it though but as the title suggests - experiment!

Back