Water for a darkroom shed

Name
Eric
Edit My Images
Yes
I suspect this has been discussed before and I would appreciate all suggestions. I've splashed out on having a shed custom built by a local guy complete with insulation and electrics. What's the best way of having water? I don't want a permanent water supply as this would mean digging up most of the garden for pipework and the budget doesn't go that far, but I do need a good water supply for print washing and chemical mixing.

Water butt from a handy roof drain and some kind of filtering mechanism?

Or just have a tank and use a hose pipe from the house. But I think you'd need to have some kind of agitation built into the tank otherwise the water will go all stagnant.

Garden hose with a standard hose connector at the shed end.

Garden-Hose-Connectors-amp-Nozzles-HL061-.jpg

The threads on these are standard pipe threads so are easy to fit to normal plumbing. Just use one like the one on the left at the shed and connect your shed up to the hose in place of the nozzle.

The fitting shown on the left will fit onto a washing machine tap or you could get a male thread to 15mm pipe fitting.

And this is worth reading: http://www.twelvesmallsquares.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/for-i-am-man.html

Steve.

Last edited:
It's not just the supply you've got to think about here but the waste too. Don't know how far the nearest drain is? Guess you could use temporary pipe work. Also hope all the electrics are on RCD and suitable IPX value sockets? 0nce you've fixed the film or paper you could always wash it in the house after a short rinse if that proves to be easier.

Thanks Guys I was thinking of using water containers and a bucket for waste chemicals. The shed is quite a way from the outside water supply and up here it tends to be off for winter to prevent freezing.

just drop prints in a container with water in ,then wash them when you have two or three back at the house .then go and print some more while they are being washed
waste chemicals ??????

I think you're gonna need so powdered Hydrogen and Oxygen, that way you can mix it up in the shed with some wa.......oh wait...

Srsly though, temperature is an important consideration, water don't come out the tap at 20 degrees, even in the house.

I think you need some sort of storage tank with a thermostatic heater in it, you'll just have to fill it up before you start souping somehow

Srsly though, temperature is an important consideration, water don't come out the tap at 20 degrees, even in the house.

I think you need some sort of storage tank with a thermostatic heater in it, you'll just have to fill it up before you start souping somehow

I intend to use the trusty kettle to get my warmed water for dev, stop and fixer. Will also have a water bath so mixed chemicals can be warmed to temp as required.

i think you're going over the top a bit Eric ,you really don't need to warm the chemicals up ,other than let them warm up to ambient temperature ,if it gets cold in there i'm sure you'ill have a small heater of some kind in there ,just let the developer etc warm up to room temperature ( are we talking black and white or colour by the way ?? ) as i'm only talking b+w .

Perfect Steve can you bulk buy?

Have you thought of a camping set up, maybe off a trailer tent, they have detachable sinks and cooker waste sorted into a drum and if you get a powered one it'll have a normal tap operation as well, plus if the toaster works then crumpets are on the menu as well:banana:

Back