Water Voles

buckas

Mister Forum Regular
Name
Drew
Edit My Images
No
At long last I’ve finally got around to visiting Kent in the hope of getting some photographs of stunning Water Voles. Immortalised as the famous Ratty in Kenneth Grahame’s book, The Wind in the Willows; these little guys are in fast decline across Britain. Water Voles were once widespread, but numbers fell by upto 90% in the 1990s as a result of habitat loss and also predation from such species as the non-native American Mink. There are still some strongholds across the wetland habitats on the eastern England fens and Somerset levels among other places. I visited an area which has reintroduced Water Voles through amazing habitat management and constant upkeep allowing you to get some fantastic views. The usual kit for most of my wildlife work is always outdoor clothing and possibly a hide; but this time it was chest waders! Lying down in all sorts of positions in the water, isn’t the comfiest for any length of time, but it was definitely worth it though to get the low down, intimate angles I was after. Also, an angle finder (basically a upside down periscope) for my camera helped me shoot from a low position without the need to have my eye up to the camera viewfinder, this made for a much more pleasant position.

Water_Vole_Arvicola_amphibius_Drew_Buckley55.jpg

It was a real pleasure to spend a day in the presence of these little critters. Water Voles are mainly active and feed for an hour or so, then sleep; then an hour later they’ll emerge again to do some more foraging. This provided some fantastic diverse views of them. When they’re active, other than the sound of running water all you can hear is the crunching sounds as these guys don’t stop munching away.

Water_Vole_Arvicola_amphibius_Drew_Buckley17.jpg

Up to two thirds of their body weight they have to consume every day, it’s an astounding figure and one I would definitely struggle with. Through management of the site, they are obviously more used to people’s presence than regular out in the sticks wild voles, but it still doesn’t make it any easier photographing them. You still need to sit quietly and wait patiently as with any other species of wildlife. Water Voles have amazing sense of smell and their eyesight functions mainly on movement, so as long as you don’t make any fast gestures or shuffle around to much, then they tolerate you.

Water_Vole_Arvicola_amphibius_Drew_Buckley18.jpg

Water_Vole_Arvicola_amphibius_Drew_Buckley07.jpg

Water_Vole_Arvicola_amphibius_Drew_Buckley57.jpg

Water_Vole_Arvicola_amphibius_Drew_Buckley27.jpg

Tens more on my blog :)

Found here > http://drewbuckleyphotography.com/water-voles-in-the-garden-of-england/

Thanks for looking,
drew

Amazingly good images Drew, sadly I have to make do with field voles...
If I was to choose a favourite it would be 3 and 5, followed by 4 and 2.

A lovely selection and looks like your hard work paid off (y)

Great photos, love #2 & #6 - the only time I have seen one of these it dropped from the bank to the water ... too quick to photograph :(

Beautiful images, i love no 4, the video is nice too, you must be well pleased with all these images.

well caught- I get a lot of "quick views" of these around my patch ( Somerset Levels) but as yet never managed to capture one on camera :help:

Lots of Mink in the area now not to mention Stoats - so the Voles may well be in decline here soon enough :eek:

so well done on a fabulous set

Les :clap::clap:

Fantastic set Drew, haven't seen any in the wild for a long time now :(

Lovely little critters and well captured (y)
Well worth all the wading and getting mucky, the things we do to get the shots :D

Last one has to be my favourite such lovely clean teeth too, all the captive bred ones I have seen have very yellow teeth

All absolutely stunning images. You've captured the subject and environment perfectly. I love every shot.

Was this Terry Whittaker's workshops, Drew? Never tired of seeing the shots from this location. Lovely collection.

There needs to be a "vote for the thread of the month" button for this.
Very well done.

A stunning collection of photos, difficult to pick one out, they are all excellent.

Really wonderful photo's very well done indeed. I don't have a favourite they are all so good.

Excellent shots and the discomfort to get the low pov well worth it

Stan

Everyone is great, if I had to pick a favourite it would be no6. Thanks for sharing.

Put a Bowie on no 2 and it's straight from the book

Excellent set of pics

Back