Waterfall in Derbyshire (another image added)

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes

Don't have a ND filter but there was enough shade from the trees to enable me to slow the shutter enough to give the water some blur.

Last edited:
Nicely exposed shot, nice amount of blur in the water and lots of detail, nice shot... if you plan to go back might be worth thinking about a portrait version with more of the stream and less of the rocks either side of the falls, just a thought

Simon

Thanks Simon, I do intend going back so I'll bear that in mind.

I like the comp and the colours, and just around the right amount of water movement.
The whole image is a little soft though. Did you use a tripod?

Thanks Ruth. Glad you liked the colours because I toned them down a bit in PP.

Not sure what to say about the softness.

It was on a tripod yes - 1/2 sec @f10. No way could I shoot handheld at that speed!
I've checked the focus point in the raw file and it's at the base of the waterfall - the water movement couldn't have fooled the AF could it? Even if it did the DOF should have been pretty large anyway, shouldn't it?

Last edited:
That is a very nice shot and waterfall care to share the location?

Another waterfall from the same location

Unfortunately a slight breeze has cause a bit of motion blur in some of the foliage towards the top of the image.

Last edited:
I've shot there myself. Excellent location it is indeed!!

I gained a much longer exposure time with a CPL filter attached. May be worth a go. :)

The second shot is the better of the two imo.

I prefer this one as well....for me, the composition, with the stream flowing away, definitely looks much better! (y)

your shots are good timing and composition and are well exposed
for me some differing exposure effects by burning would make the waterfall more prominent
cheers
geoff

Thanks again for the comments. You're all correct - the second shot is the better of the two - why didn't I pick that one out to post first? ! :bonk:

Geoff I've never tried burning, I'll have to gen up on it.

Can anyone give a brief description of what it entails and how it is used in this kind of shot please?

That's just the right amount of blur for me, I much prefer the lines you get at that speed rather than the totally silky water of several seconds.

Like the portrait second shot, maybe a tighter crop for me would be better, only my personal view tho.

Thanks again for the comments. You're all correct - the second shot is the better of the two - why didn't I pick that one out to post first? ! :bonk:

Geoff I've never tried burning, I'll have to gen up on it.

Can anyone give a brief description of what it entails and how it is used in this kind of shot please?

as you can see from my edit a quick burn around the edges deepens shadows and tones
and a bit of dodging in the middle to bring up the water and rock in near proximity
around the edges...circular motion
down the middle vertical motion
both at 5%
its not quite the same as contrast or saturation and i use it for flat lighting etc or to bring up some highlight areas to simulate sunlight
sometimes...no fast rule here Jon and its a personal thing and can go wrong and not be so likeable to others

DSC_4090cropweb_zpsca8bea3a.jpg

cheers Jon
i learned to do it here and its a good tool used properly and sensibly
its on my adobe elements 2 but could be different on other pp suites
my lr3 doesnt seem to have it
lots of luck with it when you find it

cheers
geoff

Last edited:
Thanks very much Geoff. Very interesting stuff. I like your edit too.

I have elements 7 so it's something I should be able to do?

Thanks very much Geoff. Very interesting stuff. I like your edit too.

I have elements 7 so it's something I should be able to do?

db1 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

yes i think elements 7 must be loaded with goodies...and dodge and burn are basic tools

Back